Quantcast

Fox DHX Air in 8.75x2.75???

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
4,104
25
Pa. / North Jersey
I checked with Fox and with some people at the shops and it dosen't seem that Fox is producing this shock in the 8.25x2.75 length...

This seems strange to me because this is a widely used length. I was looking to save some weight on my Demo 8 for next year, and the DHX Air would be perfect.

Any ideas?

James? Darren?
 

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
2,437
0
call them your self i am almost positive that they have the shox you just might have to wate a while
 

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
2,334
0
Chatsworth
Yeah, you need to call them. I'm sure they will make a shock for your bike. I would also be interested in the new DHX air, and my shock is the also 8.75X2.75--it's a very common size. If you hear anything, let us know... :D
 

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
1,168
0
VIRGINIA
I don't think Fox wants the consumer to use the DHX Air on a demo. The demo puts to much presure on the shock. I called them about getting a DHX for my Demo like a month ago. One of my friends has one on a M3. You gotta be real light to run it on the M3.
 

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
4,160
0
at the end of the longest line
AlmostHeaven said:
I don't think Fox wants the consumer to use the DHX Air on a demo. The demo puts to much presure on the shock. I called them about getting a DHX for my Demo like a month ago. One of my friends has one on a M3. You gotta be real light to run it on the M3.
think about it, why would the demo put too much "pressure"? it doesnt have a high leverage ratio, and the limits of an air shock is the air pressure you put in it (or final pressure at full compression). So if the shock has a 300psi limit, any bike is ok as long as you keep in under that.
 

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
4,104
25
Pa. / North Jersey
...this sux.

I checked with one of the guys at Go-Ride and he said that it's possible Fox will be making one in that size - but not in the near future.

What would be the implications of running a DHX Air 9.0x3.0 shock in place of an 8.75x2.75 as far as safety an performance is concerned?

I realize the difference in travel - there is .25" more travel in the larger shock, so bottoming would be damaging to the shock - any way to make this scenario work?
 

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
4,104
25
Pa. / North Jersey
Vang', what up?

Yep - no go for now on the 8.75x2.75 length for DHX Air - BUT they might start making it in the "near future" - not sure what that means...
 

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
3,501
0
six five oh
S.K.C. said:
Vang', what up?

Yep - no go for now on the 8.75x2.75 length for DHX Air - BUT they might start making it in the "near future" - not sure what that means...
Hmm... no worries, not like I really need one, just want one haha. Any ideas on the 9.0 x 3.0?
 

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
4,104
25
Pa. / North Jersey
...not sure yet - I know it probably won't be a good idea, but I'm going to call James at Go-Ride later and see what he has to say.

Yeah - it would be soooooo sweet to have one of them on a Demo 8..... :drool:
 

go-ride.com

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
548
6
Salt Lake City, UT
I'm pretty sure they won't be making a 9.0 x 3.0, it will probably be a 9.0 x 2.75. It seems the air shocks need a little longer body for a given stroke length than a coil shock.
 

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
4,104
25
Pa. / North Jersey
Scott,

I checked their website AND their owners' manual and the only lengths they seem to be making them in that come close to 8.75x2.75 are:

9.5x3.0
8.75x2.5

What would happen if I ran either one of these shock lengths in place of the 8.75x2.75 length on my Demo 8???

I'd call people but right now my cell phone is broken... :mumble:
 

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
825
0
S.K.C. said:
Scott,

I checked their website AND their owners' manual and the only lengths they seem to be making them in that come close to 8.75x2.75 are:

9.5x3.0
8.75x2.5

What would happen if I ran either one of these shock lengths in place of the 8.75x2.75 length on my Demo 8???

I'd call people but right now my cell phone is broken... :mumble:
the 8.75 x 2.5 would fit fine, and you'd have an awesome demo 7.27, not sure that the 9.5 would fit
 

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
825
0
S.K.C. said:
...this sux.

I checked with one of the guys at Go-Ride and he said that it's possible Fox will be making one in that size - but not in the near future.

What would be the implications of running a DHX Air 9.0x3.0 shock in place of an 8.75x2.75 as far as safety an performance is concerned?

I realize the difference in travel - there is .25" more travel in the larger shock, so bottoming would be damaging to the shock - any way to make this scenario work?
the compressed length would be the same, bottoming wouldn't be any different between the two shocks
 

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
4,104
25
Pa. / North Jersey
hmmm... I was wondering how to figure out the travel of an 8" bike that would be running a shock with a .25" shorter stroke length. What's the math for that?

Bottoming wouldn't be an issue? But if I'm running a 9.5x3.0 in there, I would have to compress the damn thing just to get the eylets to line up. So from the get-go I'm already losing some useable travel, and the shock is beginning its range of motion when it's already spuashed through some of it's travel...
 

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
2,437
0
they are going to make the shox completly from size 6-9 i believe and maybe even smaller sizes
 

SPrider

Monkey
Feb 18, 2005
135
0
I don't think the DHX Air will fit on a demo 8 because the air valve hits. I don't think the air spring ratio of a airshock works with 8.75x2.75.
 

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
4,837
0
South Seattle
SPrider said:
I don't think the DHX Air will fit on a demo 8 because the air valve hits.
If a regular DHX can fit, then so can a DHX air.


SPrider said:
I don't think the air spring ratio of a airshock works with 8.75x2.75.
That makes no sense what so ever.

Like go-ride says, it has to do with the longer shock body.

If you want a really racer boy setup, run the 8.75 x 2.5. This will give you a 7.25" travel bike and slacken the headangle and lower the BB.
 

SPrider

Monkey
Feb 18, 2005
135
0
there is also an air valve by the rebound adjuster which won't allow it to fit do to the caging around the shock, do your hw buddy
 

Attachments

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
4,564
0
SC, CA
SPrider said:
there is also an air valve by the rebound adjuster which won't allow it to fit do to the caging around the shock, do your hw buddy
I Installed a DHX Air on a Stinky DeeLux and I had to Dremel a small notch in the rocker plate for the air valve so yes, sometimes the air valve gets in the way as compared to the regular DHX.

I just got a package from Fox with a 8.75x2.5" DHX Air for my Enduro. I can't wait to get it on the bike. One thing though, it comes with the schrader valve for the boost valve sealed off and factory set so you lose the ability to tune the boost valve pressure on Enduro applications. I think that's because of frame clearance issues when using the steep geometry shock shuttle (which i never use). I may try to install the factory style schrader valve if I end up needing more air in the boost valve. Have to wait and see...
 
D

demo008

Guest
I have a demo eight also and i really did want a dhx air because manipoo sux that kinda pisses me off. anyways if anyone wants a demo just send me a pm. peace
 

Zach Dank

Turbo Monkey
Jun 28, 2005
1,300
0
Gnarcal
punkassean said:
I Installed a DHX Air on a Stinky DeeLux and I had to Dremel a small notch in the rocker plate for the air valve so yes, sometimes the air valve gets in the way as compared to the regular DHX.

I just got a package from Fox with a 8.75x2.5" DHX Air for my Enduro. I can't wait to get it on the bike. One thing though, it comes with the schrader valve for the boost valve sealed off and factory set so you lose the ability to tune the boost valve pressure on Enduro applications. I think that's because of frame clearance issues when using the steep geometry shock shuttle (which i never use). I may try to install the factory style schrader valve if I end up needing more air in the boost valve. Have to wait and see...
My air valve barely sqeezes in my rocker plate. I love this shock though. It's so dreamy. :drool:
 

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
4,564
0
SC, CA
Zach Dank said:
My air valve barely sqeezes in my rocker plate. I love this shock though. It's so dreamy. :drool:
I just got in my first ride in on it and dreamy is the perfect word. :heart: