Quantcast

Fox Dhx swooshing noise?

haromtnbiker

Turbo Monkey
Oct 3, 2004
Cary, NC
My pushed fox dhx 5.0 on my sunday makes a weird "swooshing" noise once it reaches about 50% of travel. This is only when it rebounds fast. If I get the bike into its travel and hold it, no noise is made. I can't tell if the noise is coming from the rebound or the compression stroke, but it is pretty loud. Possibly something from the air assembly?

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
swoosh makes you ride bicycle faster on the downhills. Swoosh makes Tiger woods buy big boat to pick up and marry supermodel.

Apr 16, 2006
Golden, CO
sounds like you got some-o-dat air (or nitrogen) mixed in wit that there oil splippery stuff you gots in your shox causing cavitation when there is a negative pressure from the shock rebounding causing the air bubbles in your oil to expand and be pulled through the shims, and therfore "Swooshing" as you say. Just a guess.

Last edited:

Yeti

Monkey
May 17, 2005
yeti cave@the beach
sounds like you got some-o-dat air (or nitrogen) mixed in wit that there oil splippery stuff you gots in your shox causing cavitation when there is a negative pressure from the shock rebounding causing the air bubbles in your oil to expand and be pulled through the shims, and therfore "Swooshing" as you say. Just a guess.
you make it sound like cavitation only happens when air is in the fluid... it also happens when there is only liquid fluid present before the cavitation happens.

Sverre

Monkey
Aug 26, 2004
Norwaii
When I got my gf´s dhx back from push, they had noted in the attached letter that the shock would make much more swooshing noise than before, and if was totally normal. This was because the increased oilflow thru shims.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
I'm pretty sure nitrogen is the biggest percentage of air, elemental gas-wise.:bonk:
^ thank you! i was just about to go there.

to the OP, my pushed shock made more noise then the stock dhx too. unless you are getting dead spots where there is no damping, i wouldn't worry about it.