Quantcast

Fox DPX2... any reviews?

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Yeah yeah I did a search and didn't find anything.

Who's got time on the DPX2? Only asking because I'm curious about it and now thinking I'd like to save a little weight going back to air instead from coil. This is for my 140mm AM bike btw.

The funny thing is, all online mag reviews say it's amazing (not surprising really). Yet when you read reviews from everyday-riders, the reviews are just 'okay'. Plus I'm seeing a lot of take-offs on Pinkbike.

Thoughts?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yeah yeah I did a search and didn't find anything.

Who's got time on the DPX2? Only asking because I'm curious about it and now thinking I'd like to save a little weight going back to air instead from coil. This is for my 140mm AM bike btw.

The funny thing is, all online mag reviews say it's amazing (not surprising really). Yet when you read reviews from everyday-riders, the reviews are just 'okay'. Plus I'm seeing a lot of take-offs on Pinkbike.

Thoughts?
Every new shock that comes out is always "amazing" compared to everything else. 1 year later it's just "ok". #tunedsuspension

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Every new shock that comes out is always "amazing" compared to everything else. 1 year later it's just "ok". #tunedsuspension
I totally agree... everyone was loving the new Fox 36 (around 2015 or so?) but real world riders where constantly having issues with the shitty air spring - and they still are today.

I guess I was looking for a solid Fox air shock that Avalanche could work on. I have a DHX2 right now that I'm tempted to send but wanted to see if the DPX2 was a solid option.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Ok good to know. Meanwhile I think it was the Pinkbike review that said it could hold its own in Whistler...yadayadayada.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Don't own one but have some time on one on a friends' bike (Transition Sentinel). It's fine, but I wouldn't go out of my way to get one unless it was for a bike with limited options (e.g. 7.5x2).

Apr 16, 2021
I totally agree... everyone was loving the new Fox 36 (around 2015 or so?) but real world riders where constantly having issues with the shitty air spring - and they still are today.

I guess I was looking for a solid Fox air shock that Avalanche could work on. I have a DHX2 right now that I'm tempted to send but wanted to see if the DPX2 was a solid option.
I have ridden a DPX2, and every time I do, I hate that shock. It's ramps up really quick, and I've heard people really like it, but I'd rather ride anything else, like a hardtail than that shock.

There's a guy in the Seattle area (Mike Howse of the Shock Howse) who does some amazing custom tuning. He has something now called the Smash Stack, that makes the DPX2 feel more linear (https://www.theshockhowse.com/smack-stack), and I might have him do that with my backup shock (which is a DPX2), because otherwise I find that thing completely unridable.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I have a 2021 7.5x2 on my 140 bike which replaced an 8 year old CTD, seems good to me - but I'm a hack :p