Quantcast

Fox F80X?

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
My sponser just informed me that he will be using Fox instead of Manitou so he gave me the option of any of the Fox Forx but he recommended the F80X what do you think of it for racing XC.?
Thanks

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
I think it has the inertia valve deal. It reacts to bumps which open the valve and allow oil flow otherwise its locked out. There might be a Fox fork with a stable platfrm valve kind of set up too. I think they call it pro pedal. I like those better. They should react to forces more quickly and the one I have in my Manitou is adjustable.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Originally posted by oldfart
I think it has the inertia valve deal. It reacts to bumps which open the valve and allow oil flow otherwise its locked out. There might be a Fox fork with a stable platfrm valve kind of set up too. I think they call it pro pedal. I like those better. They should react to forces more quickly and the one I have in my Manitou is adjustable.
Ya it has the inertia valve out of Fox's line up would this be the best XC racing fork?

Deyv

Deyvil
Mar 26, 2002
Montreal
Originally posted by JMAC
Ya it has the inertia valve out of Fox's line up would this be the best XC racing fork?
I guess that if the inertia valve works as designed it would be good for racing.

I love fox forx , they feel so plush for their "relatively" light weight.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
I'm not keen on inertia valves but that's based on my own theorizing and I might be all wrong. I believe the inertia valves are held down by a spring and an upward hit, makes it depress the spring and open up oil passages. What happens when you go off a drop and its not an upward hit but a down ward one. Do you get a jolt before the fork opens up and moves? What about a corner you're railing, and a small bump suddenly activates the fork and it dives, is that a concern or does feel OK. What about a really rough section, will all the shaking cause some "confusion" for the inertia valve if it gets shaken open and closed by rough ground? I'd really want to ride one before I made up my mind, or talk to some one I trusted who had ridden one and had an opinion. I bought the 5th Element after riding with a friend who had one.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
the inertial valve is actually a small brass weight that opens and closes the compression port, the break-away threshold is adjustable.

I've yet to ride one of these things, but the Fox are pretty heavy for XC racing IMO, if thats what you have to run just check to make sure you order the lightest fork they make, and pump it up real hard.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Ya thats what I have to get it's doesn't way much more than the Skareb Platnium I was going to get plus it will be way stiffer for sure. O well at least I'm not buying much:D :p

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
i've gotten to ride a few of em and they are super nice. the only downside is they are really heavy, hard to find, and are goin to be just as expensive as the manitou that has the similar technology in it. go w/ the manitou if you can save the $$ up man, it's got a similar ride to it but more of an XC race fork.

Juan Speeder

Chimp
Sep 6, 2003
Those of you crying heavy have funny definitions.

Real world weights:

RockShox SID Team - 3.1 pounds

Manitou Skareb Super - 3.2 pounds

Fox Float 80 RLT - 3.5 pounds - with far better steering precision and shock absorbing capabilities.

Can you even tell the difference between .3 - .4 pounds? That's a little over the weight of a small water bottle, 1/3 full.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Thats what I'm thinking. That the added weight is out weighed by the benifit of better steering.

Originally posted by Juan Speeder

Can you even tell the difference between .3 - .4 pounds? That's a little over the weight of a small water bottle, 1/3 full.
Of course you can, especially when you combine it with .3 or .4 saved on the bottom bracket, and then on the cranks, and then on the derailleur and shifter, etc...

I still bought the Fox. Oh, and a hollow-pin chain. :monkey: