Quantcast

Fox Factory Protune

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
News from Fox:

WHAT IS PROTUNE?
FOX Factory PROTUNE℠ is our custom tuning program that gives you specific tuning based upon your weight, riding style, and personal preferences.

FOX Racing Shox forks and shocks are designed to provide versatility in adjustment options to meet your individual needs.

We work together with our bicycle manufacturer partners to engineer and tune our forks and shocks to meet the specific needs of their bicycle designs. While we believe this partnership results in the perfect suspension for your bike, we realize that you might require a different suspension set-up.

Watch the video to the right to learn more.
http://www.foxracingshox.com/protune/index.php

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
So all stays stock and they only tune it to what you need? Didn't mojo do that for like a 15pound fee in addition to their regular service? I like fox but if all stays stock i see no reason for protune.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
It is offering the full factory tunes that guys like Gee and Gwin are riding to the public minus the slippery coatings on the forks. If you need a firmer setup then it is definitely worth it.

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
With a market full of riders who can't wait long enough to throw their money at aftermarket tuners, Fox is smart to wack (very willing) customers with this service before their product leaves the door. Hats off to them. I'll continue to set up and ride my stock suspension.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
So all stays stock and they only tune it to what you need? Didn't mojo do that for like a 15pound fee in addition to their regular service? I like fox but if all stays stock i see no reason for protune.
They're re-valving the dampers. What else would you want them to swap out?

tacubaya

Monkey
Dec 19, 2009
Mexico City
Yeah I started a thread like this in MTBR. Sounds like an interesting offering, especially the part that says that you get 1 year warranty as if the fork/shock was new.

Instead of buying a shock (DHX), testing it and see it performs like crap, then send it to ProTune and spend 150 bucks, then test it again to see if Fox really did its job and so on.... why not buy an Elka and be done with it?

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
this isnt really news. they have been doing this for a couple of years havent they?
http://www.foxracingshox.com/protune/request.php?model=36talas
...I could be wrong on this but if I recall correctly, FOX has been working on development for this program for public release for the past few years. I think it's awesome that they are finally making it available to the public!

More options for FOX owners and more incentive for aftermarket tuners to refine/evolve/expand the spectrum of their services.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
The vids are fukking dumb. I learned nothing.

I'm going to stick with what push has to offer.

Emabrace the gayness

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
They're re-valving the dampers. What else would you want them to swap out?
An Avy that is built and designed properly (which is a rarity in the MTB) and you can easily just tune the shimstack yourself. What a crazy idea. A product that customers can work on themselves without having to spend $150+ for something that takes a tech 15-30 minutes and $10 in parts.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
An Avy that is built and designed properly (which is a rarity in the MTB) and you can easily just tune the shimstack yourself. What a crazy idea. A product that customers can work on themselves without having to spend $150+ for something that takes a tech 15-30 minutes and $10 in parts.
We were talking about what we'd want out of a shock customizing service. Just go buy the Avy kit if that's all you want.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Consumers can take apart a Fox/RS/Manitou shock just as easily and quickly. The DHX was super simple to work on, the RC4 isn't much different. RS Vivid has a few more steps, but RS is kind enough to publish step-by-step instructions on their website. moar shims can be ordered from a variety of sources if you think moar shims will help you hucks moar bigger. There's nothing particularly special about an Avy.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Good for you,maybe for some the vids are usefull.
Hey thanks for the input guy.

Let me re-phrase that, the vids are dumb. They don't offer anything more than reading the set-up guide for a fork or shock. Vids are useful for the illiterate and blind.

tacubaya

Monkey
Dec 19, 2009
Mexico City
Oil flow is kinda restricted in commercial shocks, AFAIK avalanche circuits allow much more oil flow. But yeah, if you are mechanically inclined and know about shim configurations and the effects of different oil viscosity and blablabla, you can tune the shock yourself without paying for someone else to do it (that's the point of premium tuning services). Of course there is a limit, because unless you have a CNC lathe/mill on your house and know some fluid mechanics/hydrodynamics, I doubt you can safely and predictably modify the pistons and other internal components to deliver better performance.

freeridefool

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
medford, or
Consumers can take apart a Fox/RS/Manitou shock just as easily and quickly. The DHX was super simple to work on, the RC4 isn't much different. RS Vivid has a few more steps, but RS is kind enough to publish step-by-step instructions on their website. moar shims can be ordered from a variety of sources if you think moar shims will help you hucks moar bigger. There's nothing particularly special about an Avy.
The avy nation just put you on their hit list.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Anybody have this done with good results? Protune is cheaper than PUSH, and @$200 for a PUSH tune, I'd rather spend $50 more for an RC4.

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
I got my 2010 RC4 protuned for my 2010 Demo 8. The stock shock blew through its top and mid stroke way too quickly so I asked Fox to firm it up. It's worlds better now, and the ride is much more composed.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Awesome, thanks dude. Looks like I'll give it a shot, then I don't have to part with my sunday. My shock needs a rebuild anyways, for an extra $30 they revalve it...but if they just wipe a booger on it and send it back, I don't want to pay for it.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Don't you guys have some DW threads to troll? I'm sure he's come up with a cupholder or something to post about, I just want info on this shock tune. Your faith in everything DW is not that far removed from the Avy cult.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
very true...that's one thing i don't get...i mean yeah, they do ride incredibly well but some of the comments from some of their loyal crowd definitely blows my mind
I've got nothing against craig or avalanche. He was building burly dampers when everyone else was putting together little syringes without about 2 drops of damper fluid in them.
Plus he seems like a hardass which I respect.

But yeah......you feel me ;)

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
Don't you guys have some DW threads to troll? I'm sure he's come up with a cupholder or something to post about, I just want info on this shock tune. Your faith in everything DW is not that far removed from the Avy cult.
not really...while i love my turner and i think some of his other designs are primo as well, there are plenty of bikes out there i would ride...we're in a good spot right now and there are heaps of excellent choices

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
That means a lot coming from someone who's obviously completely clueless as to how many times weagle and I have butted heads on this forum.:rofl:

Keep it up, it's funny.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Meanwhile, you take it to the other extreme.

Going out of your way to proclaim at the top of your lungs how every new thing that I work on is obviously some kind of hyped up piece of old technology, obviously not worth someone considering as a viable piece of kit.

It must be a frustrating existence.

Maybe someday you will ride something (a bike, a suspension, a geometry set, a component) that changes the "things you know" about the sport that you seem to love. Maybe not. I'm going to keep trying to make better things with or without your banter. Every place needs the detractor trolls anyways. There is a place for everyone here!

Dave

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003

Going out of your way to proclaim at the top of your lungs how every new thing that I work on is obviously some kind of hyped up piece of old technology, obviously not worth someone considering as a viable piece of kit.

It must be a frustrating existence.

Maybe someday you will ride something (a bike, a suspension, a geometry set, a component) that changes the "things you know" about the sport that you seem to love. Maybe not. I'm going to keep trying to make better things with or without your banter. Every place needs the detractor trolls anyways. There is a place for everyone here!

Dave
It's funny that despite all the hot air Sandwich blows he still rides a Sunday :D

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

Dave
'tis true, sometimes I give you and your products a hard time....because I know you can take it. There is a very large DW fanbase here, and certain products get tilted or viewed through a different lens than other products do. There are certain people who refuse to believe that there could be a problem with a frame, or that somebody could not like the way something rides, simply because you designed it...or at least they suggest that on the intertubes. I'm sorry, but to laugh at the "avy cult" and meanwhile be a turner homer is not fair and balanced, sorry if I pointed that out.

It's funny that despite all the hot air Sandwich blows he still rides a Sunday :D
tis true, and I'm looking for information on how to get it to ride like it probably should.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I'm sorry, but to laugh at the "avy cult" and meanwhile be a turner homer is not fair and balanced, sorry if I pointed that out.
The problem is that you're 'pointing it out' in regards to two people who are in no way shape or form blind followers of anything really. All the specialized and intense frames, and gamut guides I've owned find that really funny.

Sorry for pointing out nuance.

You can call me a homer when I put a front derailleur on my DHR and call it my trail bike.:rofl:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
The problem is that you're 'pointing it out' in regards to two people who are in no way shape or form blind followers of anything really. All the specialized and intense frames, and gamut guides I've owned find that really funny.

You can call me a homer when I put a front derailleur on my DHR and call it my trail bike.:rofl:
fair enough, you are outside of the MTBR turner forum, so I guess all bets are off.

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA

yeah, well said...the difference between myself and woo vs the other sheeple is that we're well aware that there are plenty of great choices out there....we happen to just be quite partial to DHR's...my trailbike is a giant reign and i love it....would i also love a 5 spot or a new RFX?...of course