Quantcast

Fox FIT 36 only getting full travel @ ~40 PSI?

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
If I run recommended psi, (80) fork is extremely harsh. (HSC/LSC fully open).
Also only gets about 1/2 travel unless I really push down on it.
I know this isn't much info, but any thoughts on this?
I'm ready for the snark!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
If I run recommended psi, (80) fork is extremely harsh. (HSC/LSC fully open).
Also only gets about 1/2 travel unless I really push down on it.
I know this isn't much info, but any thoughts on this?
I'm ready for the snark!
Lb to kg conversion issue? Did you cut off a leg recently?

rscecil007

Chimp
Oct 18, 2007
This an 2018 Evol version? Those are notorious for having the negative chamber filled with slick honey. Like someone at Fox thought they were dipping a marshmellow on a stick into a vat of chocolate or something.

I'd recommend pulling apart and checking, mine was victim of this. Although mine still felt like dog poo after that....but it'd be a starting point.

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
I have always run less than the manufacturer suggested PSI to get proper sag and travel, Rock Shox, FOX, doesn't matter. I run whatever feels good and say fuck the recommendations. One thing of note though is making sure you don't have grease clogging the transfer port, these are notorious for being assembled with way too much and clogging that port. Makes the air not transfer properly, can make it suck down in travel or feel harsh. if that's sorted and youre equalizing the chambers properly, then run whatever feels good

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
I just don't get it, why Fox is not coming out with a new Vanilla.
They have a working damper, a good chassis and only need to revive their spring rods.

MRP - no 20x110 no care

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
Your fork likely came with dry seals from the factory, it's a new Fox thing, they have ideas about it for reasons. Drop your lowers and lubricate the dust wipers with slick honey.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
the 20mm axle should have come back with the return of the coil.
I agree. The boost isht is the only downside with the Ribbon. OTOH, with the Hadley conversion axle, having a centered rim with even spokes tension is also kinda nice, should have been like that from the start.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I've still never had the burp valves on my 40 do a goddamn thing.

Wait longer :D

I was definitely getting some poofs out of one I rode all day at whistler. I just burped my 2013 coil this past weekend, didn't hear anything but started getting closer to full travel again. I've wondered if those nipples actually bleed a little off just from having the hole there, buttons pressed or not.

I don't think any fork I've ever owned doesn't build up pressure eventually though. But I also go from sea level to 8 or 10k kind of regularly with my bike.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Wait longer :D

I was definitely getting some poofs out of one I rode all day at whistler. I just burped my 2013 coil this past weekend, didn't hear anything but started getting closer to full travel again. I've wondered if those nipples actually bleed a little off just from having the hole there, buttons pressed or not.

I don't think any fork I've ever owned doesn't build up pressure eventually though. But I also go from sea level to 8 or 10k kind of regularly with my bike.
Yeah, those things probably aren't perfect seals.

I go from sea level to 6-7k pretty often, but rarely higher than that around here. Still didn't ever have the buttons do anything in CO/UT when I was getting solidly into 5 digit territory though.