Quantcast

Fox Float 32

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I am thinking of getting a fork to replace the Lefty on my Prophet. The Float 32 R seems to fit my requirements and is priced pretty well too. Anyone have experience on the new chassis? Is the rebound adjustment enough or are the stock settings not that good? Any known reliability issues? How does it compare with other options from RockShox and Manitou?

I have owned 2 Fox forks before- a Vanilla R (decent, I guess) and a TALAS RLC (an awesome fork). I found I rarely used the damping or travel adjustments on the TALAS after I set them up initially.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I honestly think rebound is enough adjustment for XC. I don't think I'd use comp, when I had my Stumpy HT with just rebound and a lockout I really only used the rebound to set the speed and then left it.

The new Rebas are nice, but they don't feel as good as Foxes IMO.

The new Zokes look cool but it's a totally new product.

rubyrod44

Chimp
Apr 27, 2005
San Diego
Im running a Fox 32 float RLC, and it works great. I dont have much experience with other forks but this one is WAY more plush than my old rockshox reba. I actually locked it out completely today and forgot to unlock it while going down a steep rock garden, just lost some air and the internals seem fine.

hope this helps some...

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I've got a 140mm float R on my xc bike. I dig it. For some reason I can't get the full 140mm travel out of it but it's no big deal. I certainly have no plans to replace it.
No one can. Seems to be the story with the new Fox 32 forks.

I found my Reba Team to be slightly more plush than the Float it replaced. I think they're a better value...cheaper, lighter. But then again, YMMV.

jrfor0

Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
the new chassis is still flexy. the r is perfect for xc. IMO the rlc is a waste of money because the compression doesn't have a broad enough range of anjustment to do much and i never use the lockout.

my guess as to why the 140mm float forks aren't getting full travel has to do with the way the air spring is designed. i really don't want to get into this though

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
my guess as to why the 140mm float forks aren't getting full travel has to do with the way the air spring is designed. i really don't want to get into this though
Why not? There's only like 8 of us reading this forum anyway.:D

I agree with you though.....seems like too small a volume in the air spring. It ramps up really significantly (which I like) and completely deflated, I can get full travel.....meaning it's not oil or something mechanical hindering it. It's no big deal but it's not a 140mm fork by any means. It's plenty stiff enough for my purposes.

Hey blue......what's the wieght of the reba? I thought I remembered it being heavier. I get pretty anal with weights on my xc bike.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I think mine weighed in at 3.3-3.4? I dumped the Float in favor of it on that sole reason alone. Nearly a whole half-pound lighter (05 Float, that is). They're fairly light. I think the World Cup with the carbon crown/steerer is even lighter, but that probably comes at a hefty price.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I think mine weighed in at 3.3-3.4? I dumped the Float in favor of it on that sole reason alone. Nearly a whole half-pound lighter (05 Float, that is). They're fairly light. I think the World Cup with the carbon crown/steerer is even lighter, but that probably comes at a hefty price.
Dammit.

Thanks a lot for letting me know that.

No really.:disgust:

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Hmmm...I hadn't heard of these issues before. How much travel are you getting out of your forks? Is it just that you aren't bottoming at all or that you really feel the travel is restricted?

I'll probably still end up with a float, but I am considering other options (RS Revelation probably being the main one), but the Float still looks the best based on price, weight, etc. Marzocchi's offerings are pretty slim for what I am looking for and I haven't had the best luck with Manitou in the past.

Any other candidates for a QR, 130-140mm air fork?