Quantcast

Fox Float 40 26 to 650b conversion?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
For real. They figured out that shorter offsets were a good idea on the 36, why the hell haven't they fixed that shit? I'm running a 650b wheel in a 26" 40 and I'd STILL like less offset.
speaking of, you ever make any progress on those crowns?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
For real. They figured out that shorter offsets were a good idea on the 36, why the hell haven't they fixed that shit? I'm running a 650b wheel in a 26" 40 and I'd STILL like less offset.
Have you ridden the 27.5 40s? I rode one for a day in whistler and then was on a 27.5 boxxers all day the next day. I liked everything about the fox better but it was twitchy in comparison.

They overshot the mark for sure

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Have you ridden the 27.5 40s? I rode one for a day in whistler and then was on a 27.5 boxxers all day the next day. I liked everything about the fox better but it was twitchy in comparison.

are all their offsets stupid? i got a 27.5 36 and the offset is like 3mm longer than my 26" mattoc

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle

Yeah. I've said this on here before somewhere, but it felt the most fucked up in medium speed turns, where you're moving a bit but are going slow enough and turning tight enough that you still have to give it some real steering angle too. The feeling kinda fades (some, not entirely) when you're really moving out and aren't really turning the bars much. But yeah, it's dumb. It's like they decided a DH bike with a 62 degree head angle needs the same amount of trail as an XC bike. Which, mission accomplished I guess, but it's totally the wrong thing to aim for.

lobsterCT

Monkey
Jun 23, 2015
@ englertracing - Just tried to looks those up. Their Site seems not to work. Do you know anyplace selling them?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I've seen those. More options are cool, but I like the Mojo implementation a lot better. I've got zero interest in making the offset longer, so the huge range of the Outsider isn't helpful, and it just makes them heavier and not as clean looking. I also couldn't run my preferred stem (Syntace F44) in anything but the most forward position, since the bar clamp sticks down below the mounting plane for the stem.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Yeah, the Outsider ones are a lot cheaper. I'd need a new stem though too, which eats into the cost savings a bunch, and at that point I'm willing to pay a bit of a premium for the reasons I mentioned earlier.