Quantcast

Fox Float 40 26 to 650b conversion?

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Convertible? Or must buy new fork?

Can you put 650b lowers on a current float 26" fork?

How much is it to convert? Anyone had to or decided to do so?

Thanks

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005

I believe you can though. The offset is slightly different but it's built into the lower itself, parts apart from the lowers are the same between the 26 and 27.5 fork to my knowledge, which means if you get the lowers you have the fork essentially.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I have a friend running a 27.5 wheel with 2.4 Schwable somethingorother on a big wide carbonz rim on his 26" Fox 36 fork. There is NOT much room for mud, but the tire doesn't rub at all.

I know you're asking about the 40, not 36, but it might be worth trying your intended wheel/tire in the old 40 to see if it fits.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI

I believe you can though. The offset is slightly different but it's built into the lower itself, parts apart from the lowers are the same between the 26 and 27.5 fork to my knowledge, which means if you get the lowers you have the fork essentially.
Thanks, I thought about the Drexel but want to do it "right" if I do it at all

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
i dont see why you couldnt put new lowers on your 26".. probably going to be pricey though.

i would turn the old set of lowers into a truing stand! :banana:

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Thanks, I thought about the Drexel but want to do it "right" if I do it at all
Not sure if you're joking but my post explained the lowers are indeed compatible. No need for the Dremel. It's just a more exciting option if you like to live on the edge.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Not sure if you're joking but my post explained the lowers are indeed compatible. No need for the Dremel. It's just a more exciting option if you like to live on the edge.
No, my post was entirely serious.

Thanks - For pointing out I just need to change the lowers. I can't seem to find them, but this was the confirmation that I needed.

and Yes, I thought about the dremel (drexel ....autocorrect perhaps?) or just seeing if it would work, but it's possible I'll be purchasing a 650b "designed" frame set, so I wanted to get proper lowers to avoid any sort of funky handling issues or weirdness that may come up.....if I were just going to bigger wheels on current frame I problably would just see if they would fit on current fork.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
and Yes, I thought about the dremel (drexel ....autocorrect perhaps?) or just seeing if it would work, but it's possible I'll be purchasing a 650b "designed" frame set, so I wanted to get proper lowers to avoid any sort of funky handling issues or weirdness that may come up.....if I were just going to bigger wheels on current frame I problably would just see if they would fit on current fork.
That actually shouldn't be a problem with a dc fork since you can adjust the A-C a bit. I don't know what the difference is with a Fox 40 but some of the singlecrowns are only like a 10-15mm difference.

It's the axle offset that gets ya. As in, I wouldn't run 650 lowers with 26" wheels. You'll get what's essentially a steeper feeling steering phenomenon. Not huge but mountainbikers are picky sometimes.

But if you're going to run 26" wheels on a 650 frame, I'd just drop the fork lowers a bit.

But if you're going 650 all around, just ignore all this :D

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
last i checked 40 lowers run about $250, google isn't turning anything up at the moment
I think you have to call Fox direct to buy new spare parts. And I believe 40 lowers run more in the $400 department, which is pricey, but less than a new fork.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
That actually shouldn't be a problem with a dc fork since you can adjust the A-C a bit. I don't know what the difference is with a Fox 40 but some of the singlecrowns are only like a 10-15mm difference.

It's the axle offset that gets ya. As in, I wouldn't run 650 lowers with 26" wheels. You'll get what's essentially a steeper feeling steering phenomenon. Not huge but mountainbikers are picky sometimes.

But if you're going to run 26" wheels on a 650 frame, I'd just drop the fork lowers a bit.

But if you're going 650 all around, just ignore all this :D
It is still up in the air. I do know I will be on a different frame than my current frame, I just don't know which one yet. If its a 650 frame, I might as well run the 650 stuff and check out the hoop-la. If it is a 26" frame than life will be much easier.

last i checked 40 lowers run about $250, google isn't turning anything up at the moment
That would be nice and reasonable, but I can't find them either.
I think you have to call Fox direct to buy new spare parts. And I believe 40 lowers run more in the $400 department, which is pricey, but less than a new fork.
Even $400 has to be better than taking a loss on selling my fork and buying a new one...or approximately an equal loss.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Shit, 29ers I kind of get.

Turning what finally became a strong wheelsize into a heavier, flexier one that only does one thing very slightly better is what deserves the ire. Especially when that's all you're going to offer.

I'm the good guy here!

I saw you finished your race despite the joint pain. Nice!

Especially for someone your age.

"age" in the inside I mean. Just based on the bike.

Last edited:

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
I'm pretty certain you don't even need the new lowers. I ran a 26" 36 with a 650b wheel for a few months this winter. Even when it was muddy I had no issues, actually the tight clearance worked as a fender of sorts. I can verify fitment of normal and wide carbonz with an Ardent 2.4 and magic Mary 2.35

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Im surprised you had to buy new lowers. There is a ton of room on my 26" wheeled Fox. It looks like a 27.5 would fit.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Im surprised you had to buy new lowers. There is a ton of room on my 26" wheeled Fox. It looks like a 27.5 would fit.
It's not so much that you have to, but the 650b lower has a different trail value to match the larger wheel. If you don't need that and the extra clearance you can probably get away without it.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
As udi said, i don't NEED to buy new lowers. I am considering it.

If I was converting a 26" bike to 650b I'd do as you said and just run the bigger wheels.

But, it looks like we're going to get new frames that are 650b "specific" for 2015, so I would like to get the new lowers to avoid any possible wierdness in the geometry. That is NOT to say that their would be, but I'd rather there not be.

I'd also really rather not have to upgrade to 650b, but, it is what it is.

ritche

Monkey
Dec 3, 2011
how much is the trail offset between 650 b and 26 on fox 40 lowers, is it 15 mm?

if using old 26 fox 40 with 650b wheel, does lowering or raising the stanchions in the fork clamps can compensate this trail offset?,

if the bike is already slackened with an angle set headset, should i return to zero angle headset if going 650b?

asking, because brendan's red bull 650b scott gambler slack bike used customed fox 40 fork crowns, to steepen it a bit.

any details on his fork crowns? Is the stachion holes angled or the clamp is angled?

Last edited:

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Bump for Kickstand.......

I'm potentially going to be looking to do the same to my 26" float 40 and wanted to see
how you made out with the conversion.

And how was availability and cost?
I have not made the conversion yet, I ordered the lowers tomorrow, will be doing two forks.

Cost quoted through Fox directly was $250 or $275 a piece, I can't recall exactly.

When they arrive I'll let you know how the swap went.

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
Bump for Kickstand.......

I'm potentially going to be looking to do the same to my 26" float 40 and wanted to see
how you made out with the conversion.

And how was availability and cost?
I talked to a Fox tech and they said you need new lowers to convert a 26 to 27.5. Cost is 275 plus shipping from CA. Didn't say anything about availability so I'm assuming there are plenty in stock.

Josef

Monkey
Apr 17, 2013
Judging from the blowout Jenson had on 27.5 40 Floats I would guess that they have quite a few.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I am a jackass. I am about to sell my awesome last model year of the coil 40 to get a 2015 Fox 40 float 27.5.
My tr500 frame is convertible from 26 to 27.5, and that fork will future proof my bike. the reason I am a jackass is because I have no plans to run anything other than my awesome 26" i9 DH wheels on that bike. I am not worried about the offset either, because I always play with crown height to get my fork to feel right. If anyone needs a coil 40, hit me up and I will offer a jackass to jackass discount.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
FYI the coil internals from the old 40 fit and work perfectly in the Float. With the swap done you have the same performance in a much better chassis. The new chassis is actually really nice and they've taken the time to weight-optimise every small part of it (almost no parts are shared with the old fork). I did runs on mine back to back when I got them and can't spot a difference in stiffness, I think that's more of a marketing thing to persuade the 1990s invert fanboys. The air spring is a clear downgrade though sadly.

You'll spend a few weeks convincing yourself that the Float feels better, then you'll ride some squid's coil Boxxer and realise that you were just being stupid. That's what happened to me anyway, some people are better at lying to themselves than others.

As a sidenote - the new 40 uses lighter stanchions with slightly thinner walls, so while the coil internals fit the new fork, the air piston probably won't fit the old ones (that you want to sell to some squid with the promise of a light modern air spring "upgrade"). So it's kinda easier if you buy some extra parts.