Quantcast

Fox IFP Charging Tool - DIY Build

marpilli

Chimp
Jul 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
While servicing my first Fox TALAS fork, I realized I needed a Fox IFP Charging Tool to deflate and re-inflate the IFP chamber. I found the tool online for around $100. That seemed a little expensive and I wanted to find a DIY alternative if possible.

There were several forum posts stating a standard ball inflation needle would work fine to deflate the IFP chamber. And, with the help of a friend, it could be held in place while re-inflating the IFP chamber.

I decided to go a step further and find a way to thread the ball inflation needle into the IFP port. After some garage testing, I figured out the port was a standard 8-32 thread. I bought some supplies and started trying to build my own version of the tool. Here's the result...

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Don't have a talas at the moment, but this is very cool. Thanks for sharing. I like your trick to make the drill press drill like a lathe!

marpilli

Chimp
Jul 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
Excellent job! Would this work with a rear shock's IFP chamber?
Thanks. I honestly don't know about using it for a shock as this fork is the first Fox product I've ever serviced. What model of Fox shock are you asking about? Maybe Fox has an online diagram that shows the port.

Or, if the service guide calls for part number 803-00-127 then this DIY tool might work...

PhilipW

Monkey
Mar 13, 2007
Leominster, MA
I called a "Matt" from Fox Service yesterday regarding buying the part for our shop...claimed it was discontinued/unavailable. Thought our shop guy had an $800 TALAS paperweight with fresh seals until now. Awesome job marpilli.

Also anyone else waiting on 34 Floats...seems like there is a bit of a backorder... :(

Last edited:

marpilli

Chimp
Jul 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
Thank you. If you have any trouble fabricating one of the IFP tools, don't hesitate to let me know. I'll be happy to answer any questions.

EDIT: I'd be willing to ship you one of the extra IFP tools I made in exchange for some crush washers (the plastic and aluminum washers) used in servicing the TALAS 32. :)

Last edited:

trailbildr

Chimp
Aug 14, 2012
F pm. Shoot me an internets mail. info at trailwerkssuspension dot com.

I won't tell you how ghetto I had to get last night to charge the IFP on a Gen1 TALAS.

Thanks for taking the time to do this. Good man.

mk

marpilli

Chimp
Jul 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
Figured out these will only work with the Fox TALAS I (first generation).

Also, I have some listed on eBay if anyone is interested. Just search for "fox talas ifp".

marpilli

Chimp
Jul 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
I had a few eBay messages from people asking if I could make more of the IFP tools. I have built them; however, I can't respond to the eBay messages (because they're more than 90 days old). If you're still interested in purchasing one, please click HERE.