Quantcast

Fox Kashima coated Talas 36 seal question

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
So after riding this past weekend, it was pointed out to me that there was some crud on my Fox 36 Talas stanctions. The good news is it wiped right off, but it was clearly something other than dirt. My analysis leads me to believe that the seals or wipers had been crudded up and were wearing against the stanctions. Therefore it is time to replace them.

My initial thought was the Enduro Seal kit for 2 reasons.
1) I had always heard good things about them
2) They are blue and my carbon bike is accented with blue bits, so you know it would look cool.

However I called my trusty LBS to ask if they had the ability and what it would cost me to do the seal swap. During that conversation the mechanic who I think highly of, recommended staying away from the Enduro seals and just sticking with the Fox replacement kit.

The price difference of the kits is relatively nominal $1-5 difference.

So I was wondering what if any experience folks had here with Enduro vs the Fox kits? If it makes a difference my 36 is Kashima coated.

Thanks in advance.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
from what i've been told the enduro seals run too tight on the stanchions and will cause premature wear on the kashima coating.

i've been running enduro seals on my 40 (non kashima) and can confirm they are a bit on the tight side (compared to fox ones). i will be swapping the enduro seals for a set of the skf ones shortly. (buddy at a shop got me a set, just need to meet up w/ him).

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I understand the 'new' SKF seals used by Fox are somehow spec'd for use on kashima coating.

I use the blue Enduro seals on my old clunky non-kashima Fox 36 and they work just fine. I'm due to change mine too. It isn't a difficult job. Consider doing the work yourself.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i've also got enduro seals on my old vanilla rlc. for the early gen fox forks enduro seals were definitely an improvement over the fox seals.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
It isn't a difficult job. Consider doing the work yourself.
I am, but in some cases the LBS is pretty good to me, so if they are available and will do the job at a reasonable price I am happy to give them my business so my bike can be worked on while I am doing something other than riding, or wanting to ride.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Don't get those enduro seals Rob. Those things are stickier than your hands coming out of a krispy kreme box.
Stick with the new Fox seals which are made by SKF.
Dont you worry I am off of krispy kreme and onto the Dunkin sammich that comes with its own lubrication

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Don't get those enduro seals Rob. Those things are stickier than your hands coming out of a krispy kreme box.
Stick with the new Fox seals which are made by SKF.
Agreed, they are sticky. Also, I have seen these seals lead to bad stanchion wear. I think the lack of seal lip spring allows dirt to be trapped just above the oil seal.