Quantcast

Fox live valve - electric boogaloo

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I am not sure it would help much? My concern is that it might not be waterproof...
You'd normally have an electrical connection set up so water won't pool in it.
I have no issue with a headphone type plug as long as it is sealed, the plug should come apart if the cable snags something rather than ripping the wiring out of something. It will need cleaning but so do the weatherproof plugs on cars and trucks, bike cleaner will help the water get in.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
They are giving us wires now so they can sell us Bluetooth later. Sneaky snek.

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
Didn't both Cannondale and K2 muck about with this stuff 10 years ago?
More like 20 years. I was actually under contract with Girvin, when Bob still owned it, to design an adjustable oil damped shock, to replace the current ODS shock, which was more like a screen door holder opener. And if you said it fast, it sounded like it rode, odious.

Shock was designed. I made some prototypes. I even convinced Bob to let me replace one his beloved yellow bumpers with a coil spring.So it had a coil and a bumper in series. Didn't work too bad. RST was in the process of making production shocks and I was just waiting for my royalties. Front and rear, too, Since the same shock was used on the Girvin fork.

Girvin was selling 40k bikes a year. So K2 snapped them up. At the same time, they bought Noleen shocks. Guess what happened to my royalty checks?

they changed to K2, Noleen made brain shocks, I started making forks....

At least that shock didn't add 2k to the price of the bike.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
More like 20 years. I was actually under contract with Girvin, when Bob still owned it, to design an adjustable oil damped shock, to replace the current ODS shock, which was more like a screen door holder opener. And if you said it fast, it sounded like it rode, odious.

Shock was designed. I made some prototypes. I even convinced Bob to let me replace one his beloved yellow bumpers with a coil spring.So it had a coil and a bumper in series. Didn't work too bad. RST was in the process of making production shocks and I was just waiting for my royalties. Front and rear, too, Since the same shock was used on the Girvin fork.

Girvin was selling 40k bikes a year. So K2 snapped them up. At the same time, they bought Noleen shocks. Guess what happened to my royalty checks?

they changed to K2, Noleen made brain shocks, I started making forks....

At least that shock didn't add 2k to the price of the bike.
What forks did you make?

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
What forks did you make?
You asked. I called 'em Shock Therapy, after my lightening episode. The only real option at first was a thing called a Hanebrink that you didn't really want. It got some good press. hayes had it in their booth (with Brake Therapy).

It culminated in a 9 inch travel, dual 8 inch disc version (we didn't have metric then) before cheap forks flooded me out.
mtbikercover97 s.jpg

hayes booth.jpg
tandem fr w.jpg

Attachments

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Oh, at one point, I really wanted a Hannebrink. Then I got to hold one somewhere (Anaheim? I don't remember) and the thing was like 6 pounds or something. At least it felt like it compared to a Mag 20 with ti stancions that I was running. Holy noodle...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Oh, at one point, I really wanted a Hannebrink. Then I got to hold one somewhere (Anaheim? I don't remember) and the thing was like 6 pounds or something. At least it felt like it compared to a Mag 20 with ti stancions that I was running. Holy noodle...
Those were the days, right? You had your choice of:

Risky Racing
Mr Dirt
Bullet Bros
Hannebrokemyleg
Shock Therapy

Up to 12" of super-stupid travel, however I seem to recall in size 2 font in the cambria bike add there was even a hannebrink LT-14 option?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
So, whatever happened to this technology? It got vaporized...
Coming OEM on top end XC rigs, but doesn't seem to be developed for other disciplines and seems like it has to be developed around the bike?

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Looks like I was wrong
You can get a pivot switchblade with it for 8699 xt/xtr
Or for 10,xxx you can get it with xtr and carbon wheels.

But its still a ctd shock and a fit4 fork with the brain toggling between climb trail and decend.....

Its not really doing anything like altering the valving.....

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
RC said something like- it was up there with the Tantrum Missing Link Suspension.
You can one of those frames for $1933, doesn't need batteries either.

lobsterCT

Monkey
Jun 23, 2015
I'm worried about the timing as well. About a year ago, from a brief back and forth with the message function, I got the impression he was working on a downhill frame design. Hope he is just fully immersed in the creative process.