Quantcast

Fox live valve - electric boogaloo

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
So when will startups get into non road bikes? Seems like a logical step to some twat who's got more aspergers than skill decides to "disrupt" the industry given we are going supersonic electronic?

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
Just give it blue-tooth and a little light that lights up when you connect your phone. No function, just a light.
if I could only show you the funny meme in my head that I'm too lazy and don't know how to make....you might laugh

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
So when will startups get into non road bikes? Seems like a logical step to some twat who's got more aspergers than skill decides to "disrupt" the industry given we are going supersonic electronic?
Not to be a Yuge dick but...

Those on the Autistic spectrum who are high functioning (used to be refereed to as Asperger's) tend to be well above average with regard to focus and skill in their chosen field. Ability to convey this in a interpersonal setting however may be compromised compared to NTs.

I know what you mean, but your delivery is a bit inarticulate. Please work on this.

Thank-you from those of us who are riding the ASD wave.

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Not to be a Yuge dick but...

Those on the Autistic spectrum who are high functioning (used to be refereed to as Asperger's) tend to be well above average with regard to focus and skill in their chosen field. Ability to convey this in a interpersonal setting however may be compromised compared to NTs.

I know what you mean, but your delivery is a bit inarticulate. Please work on this.

Thank-you from those of us who are riding the ASD wave.
Mate. My father has Aspergers/High functioning. I'm also on the scale...

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
I thought you were just referring to me

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Mate. My father has Aspergers/High functioning. I'm also on the scale...
That just makes it worse.
You should know better.
Disparage yourself all you want, but leave the rest of us out of it.
It is bad enough with crap we get from the NT's.
I used muggles in my original post to describe those who are NT (Neurotypical) but edited it because it is a label, and that is was what I was bitching about.

Words matter.

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
NT (Neurotypical)
I am so gonna whip this baby out on some people.....

I'm not claiming aspergers btw. It is highly possible. And aspersions have been raised. Hmmmm aspersions of aspergers. Song title?

It is also highly possible that I could be diagnosed with any number of psychiatric, psychological and/or mental abnormalities or illnesses. but I learned long ago to keep those people (diagnosers) away from me.

Whatever I may or may not have, I don't think I suffer from NT. Even though I may be a little jealous of NT sometime.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
That just makes it worse.
You should know better.
Disparage yourself all you want, but leave the rest of us out of it.
It is bad enough with crap we get from the NT's.
I used muggles in my original post to describe those who are NT (Neurotypical) but edited it because it is a label, and that is was what I was bitching about.

Words matter.
Sorry mate. Didn't know it was a sensitive matter. Will take that into account further. Wanted to mock startup people not people on the scale.

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
Sorry mate. Didn't know it was a sensitive matter. Will take that into account further. Wanted to mock startup people not people on the scale.
Why mock startups? Most major developments started as startups. Rockshox was a startup. DW was a startup. VPP (Outland), Horst Leitner, SRAM. Even the reincarnated Evil and YT, two crowd faves, not that those ushered in any major devo, they sure seemed to bring a lot of sales.

Sure, maybe only 1 out of 10 startups offers any real devo or useful products, but startups should be encouraged and celebrated at all costs. Otherwise we're stuck.

And guess what? It takes some balls. You think taking shit from NT types is tough??? Ha!!!!!!

Not to mention people making fun of your hair. cold

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Why mock startups? Most major developments started as startups. Rockshox was a startup. DW was a startup. VPP (Outland), Horst Leitner, SRAM. Even the reincarnated Evil and YT, two crowd faves, not that those ushered in any major devo, they sure seemed to bring a lot of sales.

Sure, maybe only 1 out of 10 startups offers any real devo or useful products, but startups should be encouraged and celebrated at all costs. Otherwise we're stuck.

And guess what? It takes some balls. You think taking shit from NT types is tough??? Ha!!!!!!

Not to mention people making fun of your hair. cold
Seriously? I am mocking startups as meant by a popular meaning of the term - silicon valley bozos selling snake oil and good UX. I was not talking about bike companies. It's a different culture.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
I haven't seen any typical start up have a go at (E-)bikes yet, but there are a few companies competing in the electric scooter rental space. So far, they seem to be more interested in the distribuition and software aspects of the product, but as we've seen with Uber, once those companies have build a large enough user base, thy eventually pivot to also develop their own hardware.

Alta motors make electric motorcycles but aren't your typical start up in so far as their products aren't vaporware and actually work.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Some startups make a product. That's cool, because some portion of those products tend to turn out pretty nifty. And all the duds can be forgiven for attempts to make the world a better place that failed.

Many startups these days don't have a product to sell other than hype, and scam money from people. These people deserve to be shit on and worse. There's a startup culture that allows shitheads like these to blend in by using buzzwords, and that culture deserves to be shit on for creating space for the scammers to sneak in. Nobody is shitting on startups trying to create and actual product that I know of (except those fucking cranks pictured above, wtf), just the shitlord scammers and people who decide to use startups to show off their marketing chops.

In other news, those cranks are fantastic, but I do have questions.

Such as: how did somebody have the intelligence and determination to see that abomination through and actually create it, without having the brains to realize it was dumb as fuck. Was it created as a joke by some bored machinist?

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
OK, back to yer shokz fer a min-nut.

What about magnetorheological dampers?
If good enough for McLaren and Ferrari what about lowly dentists riding foot-cycles in the woods?
I guessing powering the things be the biggest problem other than cost for the electronics / software.

E-bike battery packs to the rescue! :eek:

:D

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009

If good enough for McLaren and Ferrari what about lowly dentists riding foot-cycles in the woods?
I guessing powering the things be the biggest problem other than cost for the electronics / software.

Surely you would have to be able to make some sort of self energizing circuit for the HSC?

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Some startups make a product. That's cool, because some portion of those products tend to turn out pretty nifty. And all the duds can be forgiven for attempts to make the world a better place that failed.

Many startups these days don't have a product to sell other than hype, and scam money from people. These people deserve to be shit on and worse. There's a startup culture that allows shitheads like these to blend in by using buzzwords, and that culture deserves to be shit on for creating space for the scammers to sneak in. Nobody is shitting on startups trying to create and actual product that I know of (except those fucking cranks pictured above, wtf), just the shitlord scammers and people who decide to use startups to show off their marketing chops.

In other news, those cranks are fantastic, but I do have questions.

Such as: how did somebody have the intelligence and determination to see that abomination through and actually create it, without having the brains to realize it was dumb as fuck. Was it created as a joke by some bored machinist?
Yeah my problem with startups is the culture. They all fight for monopolies and this is why they don't care about customer support (hell many companies have literally none), most of them try to grow as fast and sell not generate profits by offering good products and finally the startup mentality of some companies of taking a huge dump on employees because they offer froyo and stock options.

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
Seriously? I am mocking startups as meant by a popular meaning of the term - silicon valley bozos selling snake oil and good UX. I was not talking about bike companies. It's a different culture.
Sorry, I'm too old and not hip enough to have narrowed my definitions.

I kept thinking I was in the "tech" sector as a mechanical engineer, 'till I found out it's electronics and apps.

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
They certainly are. I wasn't really thinking about start ups supplying components but more along the lines of companies trying to offer complete bikes with some technology integration and non traditional distribution.
I heard that Ford was working on bikes.....and Uber (as a replacement for the self driving car program)

I've also heard the the bike industry should be afraid the Ford is getting into bikes. but to me, that's all about e-bikes and bike share bikes. Same thing with Yamaha coming in.

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
And you see, THIS is why Interbike can be fun. I remember those cranks.They had serious engineering numbers to back up their claims. They really did think they were somehow creating a longer moment arm and more torque.

My favorite was the Rise E Go. When you rode the seat and handlebars went up and down. People were riding it all over the hall laughing their asses off.

like I said, maybe 1 out of 10, but without that 1......

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016

Those change the damping by "juicing" the fluid. i actually thought I remembered somebody trying that on a bike.

Other than the fact it would have the same problems of sampling, delays, etc, it would also affect compression and rebound at the same time, since it changes the viscosity of the fluid.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Those change the damping by "juicing" the fluid. i actually thought I remembered somebody trying that on a bike.

Other than the fact it would have the same problems of sampling, delays, etc, it would also affect compression and rebound at the same time, since it changes the viscosity of the fluid.
I think you are being too literal here, active dampers can have a positive effect on chassis control, hit the brakes and the front end doesn’t dive (on my bmw), other similar effects for cornering, etc. Dont have that car anymore, now I have the magnetorheological dampers and they work well. Well enough for Ferrari and others, not that you need this exact technology, but chassis control can be significantly improved IMO while still maintaining high speed compliance with active dampers, it’s when you start trying to control high speed with it that you are going to run into huge technological issues IMO. Those will eventually be overcome, but will require more sophisticated sensors measuring the terrain.

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
I think you are being too literal here, active dampers can have a positive effect on chassis control, hit the brakes and the front end doesn’t dive (on my bmw), other similar effects for cornering, etc. Dont have that car anymore, now I have the magnetorheological dampers and they work well. Well enough for Ferrari and others, not that you need this exact technology, but chassis control can be significantly improved IMO while still maintaining high speed compliance with active dampers, it’s when you start trying to control high speed with it that you are going to run into huge technological issues IMO. Those will eventually be overcome, but will require more sophisticated sensors measuring the terrain.
Chassis control in a broad sense is much easier. Especially in a non racing vehicle, where an error results in...a moment of discomfort?

So, from that point of view, I could live valve useful for locking out on a climb. Angleometer points up, firm up the shock. And it can do it in 3 ms, just in case you didn't see the climb coming and couldn't use a manual lockout in time.

but high speed bump response? As you said, a few hurdles. Sampling rate alone. At 1000 samples per second, you covered over a half inch of ground at 30 mph. That means your shock is getting a signal to change every half inch of terrain.

That's why I laughed when one of the testers said he felt it lock out over a bump once, but was sure it was an isolated incident. Right, because the possibilities of it happening are infinite. On a race car or bike, when you are at the limit, the "isolated" incident could be serious.

when active was used in F1, they would map the track and program it in. even then, it wasn't really about bumps. almost purely aero considerations, which are far less transient.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
when active was used in F1, they would map the track and program it in. even then, it wasn't really about bumps. almost purely aero considerations, which are far less transient.
And I remember pretty well watching Gerhard Berger live on TV coming out the pit lane at Estoril and taking a left hand turn on the start/finish strait into a wall in his Ferrari because his car thought it was on a different part of the track, must have been around 1993. Active suspension was banned shortly after by the FIA.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Chassis control in a broad sense is much easier. Especially in a non racing vehicle, where an error results in...a moment of discomfort?

So, from that point of view, I could live valve useful for locking out on a climb. Angleometer points up, firm up the shock. And it can do it in 3 ms, just in case you didn't see the climb coming and couldn't use a manual lockout in time.

but high speed bump response? As you said, a few hurdles. Sampling rate alone. At 1000 samples per second, you covered over a half inch of ground at 30 mph. That means your shock is getting a signal to change every half inch of terrain.

That's why I laughed when one of the testers said he felt it lock out over a bump once, but was sure it was an isolated incident. Right, because the possibilities of it happening are infinite. On a race car or bike, when you are at the limit, the "isolated" incident could be serious.

Way way too bitter here. Those magnetic shocks have turned chevys into cornering machines (in addition to other dynamics that improve handling) that surpass Porsche and they’ve yet to send testers into the wall. Do we need to bring up your hair?

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Don’t forget the La Pierre
Right, alongside the other brands from the Accell Group, Ghost, Haibike etc. Rock Shox e:i it was and it disappeared as quickly as it entered the market. I only saw one bike in real life ridden by a proper rider. He didn't swear about it but neither praised it - he was a sponsored rider :D

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
There was some reliability issues with the e:i system and by looking at that headphone jack, there will be some issues with Fox's system as well..
F75R1653-768x512.jpg

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Sorry, I'm too old and not hip enough to have narrowed my definitions.

I kept thinking I was in the "tech" sector as a mechanical engineer, 'till I found out it's electronics and apps.
It's more of a mentality that software vs hardware. Different business philosophy in the same way industrial designers think differently engineers with specific industry know how. There are old school it guys and there is startup ppl. Both groups are very hermetic but startups really drink their own cool aid and want everyone working for them to do so. For many companies to get hired is basically to know the stupid language they invented to describe things already descibed by other words and to be excited by startups as a whole even if that's sometimes a sub optimal option. It's common to see startups wanting their PR and content people to talk to their customers like they were part of the startup words even if their clients are for example old non tech companies with people who barely know how to use a computer. I may be bitter because I used to do marketing consulting and it was mind boggling for me some people wanted me to imitate them rather than help them make a profit. Hippies with laptops and money, just instead of stupid sects they got venture capital.

A good designer/engineer/businesman looking for money on kickstarter imho isn't a startup. A guy wanting to sell special stickers on laptops so people can call you if you lose it and claiming it's "disruptive" and "Innovative" is. (that's a serious business model)