Quantcast

Fox RP2 XV on bottlerocket bottoming

RoboS

Chimp
Sep 1, 2008
Hi all,
Recently I bought Fox Float RP2 with XV air can for my bottlerocket. I had first ride on it yesterday and I've been dissapointed. While riding a pumptrack I bottomed the shock almost everytime I pushed the bike. Propedal was on and shock had 175psi air pressure giving about 10-15% sag. My weight is almost 90kg (200lb). Shock has mid rebound and mid compression tune.
What you think, is it because of the XV air can, or I should add moar shimz? (moar shimz is problem for me because I don't know how to make that on Float shock). What if I add few drops of oil to air can to make it more progressive?

I'd like to avoid sending the shock to Fox, it just costs as much as the shock itself.

bsphere

Chimp
Aug 14, 2004
Transition supplies the Bottlerocket with a regular air can RP23 and not XV.
AFAIK you can buy the regular air can and change it by yourself with no special tools.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Try this:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=503070&highlight=rp23

I've got a HV can on the RP23 on my Marque frame - the low leverage ratio wasn't paying too well. Played around with this trick, and have it working beautifully.

Simple, and cheap (if not free) so give it a shot. You can fine tune things quite a bit by varying the size of whatever you use in the air can. I used part of a plastic tag/hang card from a new tire I'd just bought.

Last edited:

euroford

Chimp
Dec 8, 2009
you can raise the amount of float fluid in the air cylinder, thus decreasing the volume and making it more progressive.

RoboS

Chimp
Sep 1, 2008
Thats what I've been thinking about. Reducing air volume by adding oil, or something solid in the can. I have set of plastic shims, so I'll give it a try.

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
Thats what I've been thinking about. Reducing air volume by adding oil, or something solid in the can. I have set of plastic shims, so I'll give it a try.
The shims would probably be the best way to go. I have a Transition Covert with an RP23 that I could never get to bottom out. I sent it out to get retuned. The place I sent it to recommended using the HV air can with shims to put it half between the normal and HV. Works great now.

RoboS

Chimp
Sep 1, 2008
XV version was on 50% sale, that was the reason why I bought it. Now I have to deal with it

RoboS

Chimp
Sep 1, 2008
I found my bottlerocket never really played as well with an airshock as it did with a coil. But thats an opinion.
My first shock is coil DHX 5, I bought Float RP2 just for jumping and cruising around as it's lighter than the DHX.

RoboS

Chimp
Sep 1, 2008
As Sam B and bsphere suggested that normal volume air can should be used, I've put 2 plastic shims 0.762x25x300mm to XV to fill about 11.5cc volume. Disassembly was very esasy, so I can remove one of them if needed. Weather is going wrong here, so next week I'll give it a try.

Thanks

Last edited: