Fox Shox 2012

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
A dramatic ridiction in stiction.

Can't argue with that!

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Probably because they have a mid speed valve so they can open the low speed up a little. The new stuff is better than the old. I used to blow through travel on the 40s so i never really cared for.them. After riding the new 36 180m im sold on the direction of improvement.

Last edited:

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
I'm normally the guy to call BS on this sort of stuff, but I got a chance to do several rides on some forks with the SKF seals, and it's pretty amazing how supple they are.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
the fox 50? :D:D:D want one :D bigger is better
Nah, it's the Fox 39.12586. With;

Keronite coated bolts,
hi and low mid-speed damping adjusters,
2 backup bladders to blow, (pre-installed)
Boxxer and 888 stem standard,
22.5 mm front axle,
Adamantium lowers,

and instead of using an air spring, it will have the new "Dark matter" spring, brought from the depths of a black hole, to keep weight down. 2015 model year going on sale first quarter of 2012 so they can sell enough before the apocalypse.

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
Did anybody else notice that they had a Fox 34 in there? It looks like it was only for 29ers.

yetihenry

Monkey
Aug 9, 2009
Whistler, BC
i guess my questions on if some Fox riders are using Enduro seals have been answered
Gee Atherton at the second round of the BDS at Moelfre was on "new" seals. But these seals are blue, so not sure whether they are fox or not...

Dan wasn't quite so lucky, just got some chucked some regular enduro's it seems...

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Gee Atherton at the second round of the BDS at Moelfre was on "new" seals. But these seals are blue, so not sure whether they are fox or not...

yeah, i saw some of the TWR guys with the blue seals but figured they were just testing Enduros. but if the stock Fox forks are using new seals, maybe the top guys are just running early proto blue seals from their new supplier. color is easy enough to change on rubber parts.

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
So, do we think that the move to 34mm stanchions on 29er fork means Fox plans on offering a 34mm fork in 150mm travel for 26 inch wheels? Granted, I could go out and space a 36 float own to 150mm, but I'd like to see the bike industry as a whole move to speccing decently stiff 150mm travel forks on trail bikes, and none of this 32mm stanchioned, 15mm axle crap. I've got my fingers crossed Fox are about to provide the impetus to do that.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
lighter low speed compression for the longer travel stuff!?!?!??! WTF???
Compared to XC stuff, obviously yes... they've increased the LSC over the years across the board. You can't run DH forks at near-lockout, whereas obviously that's the setup a lot of XC riders prefer. I don't think the guy in the video was saying that the damper tune for the MY12 40 was going to be LIGHTER than the current one, just lighter than the XC tunes, which should be obvious anyway, but it seems to me that it's more a housekeeping thing on Fox's part to separate pedal-power and gravity as the primary driving forces for different types of bikes, and thus alter the damper tunes those types of bike receive accordingly.

The SKF seals sound awesome. I really like Fox's approach to nailing each shortcoming of their products one by one and doing it thoroughly, nobody else is really doing things quite as thoroughly. Hopefully the SKF stuff is better at keeping oil inside as well as lower friction, because the old seals certainly weren't giving Marz any competition in terms of longevity.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
I really like Fox's approach to nailing each shortcoming of their products one by one and doing it thoroughly, nobody else is really doing things quite as thoroughly. Hopefully the SKF stuff is better at keeping oil inside as well as lower friction, because the old seals certainly weren't giving Marz any competition in terms of longevity.
How well are they holding up to rock impacts these days? Any good MOTO suspension company can coat your fork legs BTW! The 2011 40 felt pretty good.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Compared to XC stuff, obviously yes... they've increased the LSC over the years across the board. You can't run DH forks at near-lockout, whereas obviously that's the setup a lot of XC riders prefer. I don't think the guy in the video was saying that the damper tune for the MY12 40 was going to be LIGHTER than the current one, just lighter than the XC tunes, which should be obvious anyway, but it seems to me that it's more a housekeeping thing on Fox's part to separate pedal-power and gravity as the primary driving forces for different types of bikes, and thus alter the damper tunes those types of bike receive accordingly.

The SKF seals sound awesome. I really like Fox's approach to nailing each shortcoming of their products one by one and doing it thoroughly, nobody else is really doing things quite as thoroughly. Hopefully the SKF stuff is better at keeping oil inside as well as lower friction, because the old seals certainly weren't giving Marz any competition in terms of longevity.
I have been on the new seals since last fall. They are a huge improvement, IMO. The new damping is sweet too. There is plenty of damping and a nice use-able range. I am much happier on the new stuff and it is a noticeable difference. Zero problems or oil changes since last fall. The 2011 RC4 compression is also much better in my opinion.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
It's good to hear that improvments are not just marketing BS :) I hope I'll some $$ to get 2012 36 180 Float for the next season :)

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
It's good to hear that improvments are not just marketing BS :) I hope I'll some $$ to get 2012 36 180 Float for the next season :)
I think they are getting every aspect really dialed and the difference between even an 2009 40 is huge. I am so stoked on my suspension right now! I had some runs on the Champéry track yesterday just to see what trail work I have to do to get it ready for the season and I kept thinking how good the new stuff feels. I am totally biased so take it for what it is worth.