Quantcast

Fox Transfer post...anyone on here have experience?

Mr Nug

Monkey
Aug 26, 2007
UK
I've been running one for a few months after my reverb went squishy and got stuck down in the cold winter months and it's been flawless.

The post locks in position regardless of height so you don't need to worry about picking the bike up by the saddle and there are alternatives to the remote lever if you don't like the fox one.

It was super easy to set up too.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I have one. Reliable, smooth. You can use some of the 3rd party remotes (but the cable is inverted so not all of them). Not so good stuff - the post is very long and needs a long seat tube. The factory remote sucks donkey arse.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
Agreed with StiHacka. I had one on my Following after relentless issues with a Reverb, and it was rock solid. It developed a little bit of play, presumably due to the unrideable seat angle on that bike putting lots of stress on the bushings in the post. Returned my first one, and the second one developed the same issue, but operation never was affected.

It's the best dropper I've used so far. Never got slow, felt weird, etc. The factory remote is truly an embarassment, it comes with loads of play from the factory and is a $65 piece of cast aluminum...utter shite. Got a Wolftooth remote for my new build and its sick, and cheaper.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
I have one with the wolftooth remote and it's been wonderful, much better ergonomics with the wolftooth remove vs the reverb on my other bike. Performs well, I thought I had a binding issue, turns out I just tightened it too much in the wrong spot(I'm tall, so I guess I was running it further up the post than most normal sized people would be), after I put some carbon paste on the post and didn't tighten it as much haven't had any issues. On the 150mm performance version fwiw.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
Any differences besides Kashumbawumba-Blingablunga between factory and the other one?
Don't think so, I think it's just the kashima coating.

Heard the Fox remote is crap, dude at the lbs mentioned someone broke one fairly easily. I have shimano ispec II mount for the wolftooth remote and it's adjustable enough to where I was able to get the remote just about peerfect, can't speak for the matchmaker remote you could always just get the one with the universal clamp.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Looks like pricing is going up for the 2018s (~295 for the performance). Managed to find a 2017 on sale for 250. Will be nice to part ways with my 4 year old 125mm reverb (which in fairness has been pretty good with zero maintenance).

joeg

I have some obvious biases
Jul 20, 2011
Santa Cruz CA
i got a transfer this time last year. its been on my bronson that did a lot of alps wet-weather riding last summer, was pressure washed a lot, and i generally don't take care of my bikes at all. In the time I've had the Transfer, I've been through one set of wheels, new brakes and switched to Eagle drivetrain - and the headset is starting to sound like its got issues. But zero issues with the post. Lever action is the same as the day it went on, never a hiccup with operation. Not often to find a problem free thing like this

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
My thoughts:

I am just starting to get some time on my transfer within the last few days that I bought new last fall. The action is decent, the return could be faster. Paired with the wolftooth remote, decent ergonomics for operation. Nothing bad.

I also have the bikeyoke revive, which I have put through some serious abuse in the last week, almost 250 miles, an extremely rough 50 mile race, then a 60 mile big loop with lots of vertical, and lots of tech riding in Sedona. I like the action on the revive a lot more. It's more sensitive to the lever pressure so if you push a little ways, it comes up slow, if you push further, it comes up fast, all with a cable and no hydro fussing. Lateral rigidity between the two is almost exactly the same. It does have a quirk, that if you set the bike upside down for any significant amount of time, the air and oil gets contaminated and the seatpost sags, but that is quickly remedied by the reset valve. If the oil and air mix on the transfer, it has to go back to fox. I'm going to ride both more, but so far that's my favorite.

The transfer can be had pretty cheap, so that's one consideration (but don't get the fox remote, it's crap) and by most accounts it seems pretty solid (as if Fox is trying to make up for their previous DOSS disaster post), although I got the bikeyoke during the kickstarter/pre-order phase, so I got a good deal there too.

I had a specialized blacklite. I was ok with the 3 positions, although more adjustability is better. After a year it started sticking down. Eventually it died. I sent it off and had it rebuilt by specialized, but it was not like new at that point, it reverted to sticking down rather quickly after the rebuild and would require some sort of liquid lubrication every ride if there was any hope of it continuing to work, sometimes required lubrication mid-ride if it was a long epic. I'm hoping these two newer posts I have are better than the blacklite, because that didn't give me a good impression.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
About to order a new dropper for the Patrol to replace the worthless Reverb. Figured by the time I bought the new Reverb remote it would nearly be better to put the money into upgrading to a cable actuated post instead. The Revive is currently top of the list, given the 9point8 isn't readily available in Australia and the Revive comes in 160mm drop vs 150 for the Fox and KS options for roughly the same price.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
So in all reality, I only have about 3-4 weeks of riding the Transfer, about 3 here since the snow has melted and the trails firmed up, and maybe 2-3 rides before the trails froze up in the fall. Bought it last fall, but only rode a couple times, and short rides at that. It appears it's already starting to fail. Won't extent all the way back up on it's own. I played around with the cable tension, but that doesn't seem to be it at all. Lubed the stanchion with just a touch of rock-n-roll, which seemed to help a bit, but the slow return does not seem promising, not to mention I won't be carrying a big bottle of lube with me everywhere I go (maybe a tiny bottle on long XCs), but we haven't even started getting into mud or anything challenging as far as conditions, so again, not promising. On the flipside, I've put the bikeyoke revive through absolute hell in the same time period, used it much harder and in much worse conditions (with much more loading, etc). I really had no business riding hiline and hangover in Sedona on a 4" XC race bike, in addition to everything else, but given all the climbs and descents that week and the race, it was probably more like 3 weeks packed into one, not to mention the riding I've done on it since. Sometimes I don't really know how to ride "easy". Apart from having to reset it when the bike is upside down for a while, it's absolutely solid and you can modulate the return speed with the lever, from fast to slow, vs. only being able to go slow with the transfer. I don't dare loosen the seatpost binder much more, as I'm afraid the post will start slipping. May try to see about a slightly longer binder that might distribute the stress better, but that's the only thing I can think of that would help, otherwise it seems like it's going to fail...soon. If I have to warranty this thing, I'm going to buy another bikeyoke and just use the transfer as a backup most likely.

Last edited:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Got it slathered it carbon grip paste? That lets you run the the clamp pretty loose.

A mate of mine has the Transfer and it has developed rotational as well as fore-aft play after about 3 months. He's not a fan. I expect good things from Fox so I'm a bit surprised by his experience with them.

I haven't ridden my Revive long enough to comment on durability yet, but so far so good with it.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Got it slathered it carbon grip paste? That lets you run the the clamp pretty loose.

A mate of mine has the Transfer and it has developed rotational as well as fore-aft play after about 3 months. He's not a fan. I expect good things from Fox so I'm a bit surprised by his experience with them.

I haven't ridden my Revive long enough to comment on durability yet, but so far so good with it.
Naw, it's dead, won't full extent unless clamp is hand-tight and then I can rotate my seatpost with very little force. There's no way it's going to hold up if my ass is on the seat during a big bump/drop. Rode both seatposts today and I keep asking myself "why can't this Transfer be like the Revive?". Seems that if the Transfer had a little more "power" behind it (PSI) it would probably do just fine. I effectively only have 4 weeks on the Transfer, so quite disappointing.

tacubaya

Monkey
Dec 19, 2009
Mexico City
Anyone happen to know the differences between the 2017 and 2018 versions?
2018 Transfer has a higher flow piston so it extends faster, and that way they reduced the nitrogen charge to 275 PSI. They are now using preloaded bushings to reduce slop/rattle and a bottom out bumper.