Quantcast

Fox vanillas are great....for exploding!

The Captain

Chimp
Aug 30, 2003
High on a Mountain Top
Ahhhh yes, the beauty of the sound of breaking metal and the smell of oil spraying everywhere.
A wonderful occurence that happened while riding at a local skatepark. Since I got my switch 2 months ago, the rebound adjustment has not worked and the rebound has been rather violent making an audible clunk. This wasn't really a problem at all until total and catastrophic meltdown occured. I guess its time to see how good the folks at fox are with their warranty. I was planning on going to the monkey gathering next month at wintergreen. Anyone have any suggestions on how to speed up the replacement process? :angry: :nuts:

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
he does not have a hard tail to ride in a park. some people only have one bike. i know it is strange but thats how it goes

mrbigisbudgood

Strangely intrigued by Echo
Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
Originally posted by The Captain
Ahhhh yes, the beauty of the sound of breaking metal and the smell of oil spraying everywhere.
A wonderful occurence that happened while riding at a local skatepark. Since I got my switch 2 months ago, the rebound adjustment has not worked and the rebound has been rather violent making an audible clunk. This wasn't really a problem at all until total and catastrophic meltdown occured. I guess its time to see how good the folks at fox are with their warranty. I was planning on going to the monkey gathering next month at wintergreen. Anyone have any suggestions on how to speed up the replacement process? :angry: :nuts:
What size shock do you need?

The Captain

Chimp
Aug 30, 2003
High on a Mountain Top
Originally posted by CTR
can someone please fill me in on the dullie in a skate part concept?
unfortunately not everyone has the financial ability to own a quiver of bikes for the particular type of riding they will be doing at that moment. I have found that a 5" travel bike performs well in many diferent situations...urban, trails, drops, dirt jumping, parks etc. sure a hard tail would probablly work better in a park but when one bike is all you you have you get very adept at adapting to the various terrain you are riding.

The Captain

Chimp
Aug 30, 2003
High on a Mountain Top
looks like the folks at fox are going to remedy the situation. The shock is on its way to Cali and I should have it back by the end of next week. The rep that I talked to had no idea why the shock exploded like it did. Luckily all work or replacement will be covered by fox as the shock was only 2 months old. looks like i just got the reject of the batch. oh well at least I should still be able to make wintergreen on oct 17-19 as long as fox does what they said they would. :D

RITFreeRider

Monkey
Sep 10, 2003
In a Boulderado state of mind
That sucks, the same thing happend to my friend this summer with his 3 month old vanilla rc. It just blew up at the skatepark and left oil everywhere. Fox gave him a new shock no problem he was back riding within 10 days. Hope you have the same luck he did.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I would assume unless you have super long travel and didn't tag a jump that the shock shouldn't have exploded like that. That is a really bad explode on the shock.

I had a float RC on my bike for a while and noticed that it liked to be pumped way up full of air to act right. It did work great when it worked. It still does work it is just my spare.

My vanilla RC that I have I don't think would explode that bad, but if I tagged a jump big time I bet it might shock it too much and make it leak.

I guess what I can think, is that under normal jumping around etc... that thing shouldn't have exploded like that unless it was tagged hard on a jump or landed really hard and not very smooth at all. Look at the pro MTB dirt jumpers that use full suspension bikes. I bet they have their fair share of problems with shocks etc.... but they are also going huge, probably more huge than you or I would go.

Just wondering what you were doing when it exploded that badly?

Chris

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
he was jumping out of a 1/4 pipe not a vert, onto the platform. when he came off the lip it just came apart.i looked down and said dude your shock came apart. he called fox shipped it to them 2 day air. they completely rebuilt it sent it back to him next day
( he paid for the nextday). total from his doorstep and back was almost 9 days. they did all repairs for free. fox rules.

The Captain

Chimp
Aug 30, 2003
High on a Mountain Top
Originally posted by Spunger
I would assume unless you have super long travel and didn't tag a jump that the shock shouldn't have exploded like that. That is a really bad explode on the shock.

I had a float RC on my bike for a while and noticed that it liked to be pumped way up full of air to act right. It did work great when it worked. It still does work it is just my spare.

My vanilla RC that I have I don't think would explode that bad, but if I tagged a jump big time I bet it might shock it too much and make it leak.

I guess what I can think, is that under normal jumping around etc... that thing shouldn't have exploded like that unless it was tagged hard on a jump or landed really hard and not very smooth at all. Look at the pro MTB dirt jumpers that use full suspension bikes. I bet they have their fair share of problems with shocks etc.... but they are also going huge, probably more huge than you or I would go.

Just wondering what you were doing when it exploded that badly?

Chris
The rebound adjustment on the shock had been messed up pretty much from day one. The lockout never worked and the rebound would not slow down at all. The shock made a terrible clunk as well as rebounding violently. Think the fastest rebound setting on you rc and multiply it by 2 or 3. something inside was terribly wrong and it finally went. Fox did a great job getting it back to me very quickly. 8 days to be exact door to door.