Quantcast

Fox x2 new shocks

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
if understanding right from this video, they will come with only one tune?
all tunning will be from the dials?

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
Well, it feels far better than my CCDBA CS or CCDB inline ever did. So they improved on it, in my squiddy opinion anyway

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
I'm with Supercow.
The available adjustments and general design may be similar but I prefer my x2 over the DBa on my old bike.

The main improvement is lack of the notchy feel when initially sagging the shock. My DBa was butter after that point but it annoyed me.

My DBa also stopped holding air after the first ride and needed to be sent off for servicing. That sucked.

tacubaya

Monkey
Dec 19, 2009
Mexico City
Well, it feels far better than my CCDBA CS or CCDB inline ever did. So they improved on it, in my squiddy opinion anyway
I'm with Supercow.
The available adjustments and general design may be similar but I prefer my x2 over the DBa on my old bike.

The main improvement is lack of the notchy feel when initially sagging the shock. My DBa was butter after that point but it annoyed me.

My DBa also stopped holding air after the first ride and needed to be sent off for servicing. That sucked.
I'm talking about the damper itself, not the air spring. Fox has implemented a high volume negative chamber design (EVOL), that's the main reason it feels better. And of course, if you are going to copy a 10 year old damper design, you better improve it somehow...

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
you actually felt that when riding?? because the only time i ever feel it is doing the parking lot test.

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
I'm talking about the damper itself, not the air spring. Fox has implemented a high volume negative chamber design (EVOL), that's the main reason it feels better. And of course, if you are going to copy a 10 year old damper design, you better improve it somehow...
they added Kashima though...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
you actually felt that when riding?? because the only time i ever feel it is doing the parking lot test.
I definitely felt it riding on a CCDBa inline. I kept checking for loose bolts before I realized what it was. When you get on the HSC damping pretty hard it gets very two-stage/notchy feeling.

dan-o/supercow: you guys have these on trail bikes or dh bikes?

Last edited:

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Maybe that's it, but I thought the DBA ran at much lower pressures (I also had XV can) so the negative spring wasn't necessary for a good feel. I'm in no way techy when it comes to this shit, I know what feels right and don't care how it happens. Call it the Glory Hole method.

I was set on another DBa until I heard about the x2 as it was the only air shock I've tried that worked for me. I chose the fox for price, reliability (based on my dba experience) and thinking it would be a better match for my 36.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
if understanding right from this video, they will come with only one tune?
all tunning will be from the dials?
I suppose they could also tune the main piston shim stack to give different characteristics, as there would be a certain percentage of oil flow that occurred across the piston?

Bajaguy

Chimp
Nov 10, 2011
Foothill Ranch
Picked one up early this week and it is a great shock. Closest air shock I have ridden that rides like a coil. The tires are just glued to the ground and smooth through any chatter big or small but still has great mid stroke support. Setup was fairly easy and took three rides to dial it in. I had it pretty much dialed but sent it back to Fox today.

The LSR and HSR knobs aren't adjusting independently from one another like the HSC and LSC. I noticed it when I was trying to add some more LSR on the trail on my last ride. Basically if I want 8 clicks of LSR and 9 clicks of HSR this isn't possible since they are both moving together. Fox warranty is doing a good job making it a priority since the shock is so new. They sent me a early next day air return label and said they are going to rush it and maybe get it back out tomorrow next day air back to me on Monday.

tacubaya

Monkey
Dec 19, 2009
Mexico City
Maybe that's it, but I thought the DBA ran at much lower pressures (I also had XV can) so the negative spring wasn't necessary for a good feel. I'm in no way techy when it comes to this shit, I know what feels right and don't care how it happens. Call it the Glory Hole method.
XV can refers to a high volume positive chamber, nothing to do with the way EVOL/Debonair/Corset works. The negative spring is very important as it has a huge influence on small bump sensitivity and spring linearity.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
XV can refers to a high volume positive chamber, nothing to do with the way EVOL/Debonair/Corset works. The negative spring is very important as it has a huge influence on small bump sensitivity and spring linearity.
I understand how a negative spring works and that XV was a larger can.
The DBa, if I remember correctly, required much less pressure than other air shocks I've run.

Neg springs seem to counter the issues encountered in high pressure shocks, and maybe the characteristics they negate weren't present in the DBa.

I had to run very high pressures on my Debonair and it sounds like those adding Corsets need to bump up pressure as well. Both of those products strike me as band-aids added to existing shocks.

I'm running 40# less pressure on my x2 than the debonair.
It's function suggests there's more to it than just screwing on another aircan.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Will be interesting to see if Fox ends up offering a climb switch type option on at least the air shock. Probably not a big deal assuming your bike doesn't climb like a wet turd and/or you don't normally ride dick kicking climbs, but I have actually used mine on a few occasions (sometimes unintentionally when my 5 year old flips the switch without me noticing).

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
I understand how a negative spring works and that XV was a larger can.
The DBa, if I remember correctly, required much less pressure than other air shocks I've run.

Neg springs seem to counter the issues encountered in high pressure shocks, and maybe the characteristics they negate weren't present in the DBa.

I had to run very high pressures on my Debonair and it sounds like those adding Corsets need to bump up pressure as well. Both of those products strike me as band-aids added to existing shocks.

I'm running 40# less pressure on my x2 than the debonair.
It's function suggests there's more to it than just screwing on another aircan.
The reason the DBA runs lower pressure is simply because it has a bigger air piston than the Floats and Monarchs, it's nothing to do with the proportional positive and negative chambers. The DBA and Inline have an air spring curve very much like that of a stock Float (and there's a reason that we built the Corset to alter that curve!). The only difference is that it runs a lower air pressure to do that. Same deal with the X2 vs the Debonair or anything else, if the air piston is larger diameter (and thus has more surface area) you simply don't need as much pressure to generate the same force (force being pressure times area - more area OR more pressure means more force). With high negative volume shocks such as the Corset and the Debonair, you need to run high pressures because the negative chamber has influence further into the stroke than a Float/DB spring system does.

The new DHX2 and Float X2 look pretty interesting. Damper architecture is almost identical to a CCDB, right down to the "rod valves" which in those animations are pretty well identical to the poppet valves Cane Creek use.

imbecile

Chimp
Sep 9, 2008
Bulgaria
The DBA and Inline have an air spring curve very much like that of a stock Float (and there's a reason that we built the Corset to alter that curve!)
CCDBa Corset would be nice :) I do realize though it'd be more expensive due to the shock design and the installation would require much more work and knowledge, so....if X2's spring curve is better and the damping is as good or similar, CC might need to redesign the DBa to keep up the game.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
CCDBa Corset would be nice :) I do realize though it'd be more expensive due to the shock design and the installation would require much more work and knowledge, so....if X2's spring curve is better and the damping is as good or similar, CC might need to redesign the DBa to keep up the game.
:stupid:

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
Maybe it's already been said, but I was talking to a Fox guy today and asked him "how is this different from a CCDB" the Fox guy said that the main difference is that the CCDB uses popits (or whatever) which are an on/off type of valve as opposed to the X2s shim stack valves that flex and open and close more gently.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Maybe it's already been said, but I was talking to a Fox guy today and asked him "how is this different from a CCDB" the Fox guy said that the main difference is that the CCDB uses popits (or whatever) which are an on/off type of valve as opposed to the X2s shim stack valves that flex and open and close more gently.
There may be some differences that aren't shown in that video, as I haven't pulled apart an X2 shock yet, but if those animations are accurate, the Fox system is pretty well identical to the Cane Creek system - the CCDBs have those same shim-faced poppet valves.