Quantcast

Fox x2 new shocks

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
And in truth, your bike has 26" wheels, so it doesn't really matter what kind of shock (or fork) your running - it's an unstable, tractionless POS that is only barely rideable because it has unidirectional rotating links versus the abomination that is counter rotating links. Just ask trumbullhuckster, he'll tell ya the tragic truth.

Hell, given the significant handicap you're already laboring under with the nano-wheels, just remove the shock altogether and at least save some weight.

its true

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
Just out looking for as many opinions as possible! I don't think the air can will fit but they have one in the shop I think they're going to try and squeeze in there real quick to double check. If not then the X2 Coil is probably my next step...

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
are the us prices more tame? In yrop the coil shock together with sls spring costs almost as much as that custom push shock

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I think I've spent enough time now to give an opinion, that's not based on "oooh new shiney... it better be good coz i spent a lot of money on it", though not long enough to say anything about long term durability.

In short - and take it as you may, it's my favourite shock to date (Used a fair few and in no particular grouping / order : Stoy, Void, Vivid, RC4, CCDB, CCDBA, CCDB inline, Ohlins TTX, Monarch debonair) Obviously not all the shock in this list are DH shocks, but left em in there for comparison.

I'm not the greatest when it comes to shock reviews, I can only tell the characteristics I really enjoy, but can't substantiate my view with techno garble and say why that is. The X2 feels like a great mix of both a coil and an air shock, as it's lively and playful like I'd expect an air shock to be, but when you want it to pack down and just grip to the ground, it feels like a coil. The clicks of compression and rebound are nice and positive and have a pronounced effect on the setting you chose to change.

It's no wonder you see so many of them on WC bikes this year, they really are that good.
Care to compare it to CCDB air? I bought mine after RM forced me to and I'm very happy with it. While i liked my rc4 on my legend the DB air felt like an improvement, even if I can't remember in what way.

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
Care to compare it to CCDB air? I bought mine after RM forced me to and I'm very happy with it. While i liked my rc4 on my legend the DB air felt like an improvement, even if I can't remember in what way.
Apart from the design similarities and the same types of adjustment, the feel totally different. The DB air was a good shock, but its always felt a bit dull to me, for the lack of a better word. It felt good, for an air shock, and it had the adjustability that other air shocks didn't offer.

It was however not nearly as smooth as the X2 is, not even in the same ballpark in terms of suppleness. That notchy feeling of the DB is also not present in the X2. As mentioned before, the X2 is just an incredibly fun shock as well, with plenty of pop and liveliness to it that just outshines everything I've used.

You have the Reign too from memory? Excellent choice for the bike imo.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
AC: I definitely would not take the financial leap to put one of those on a dhr. The turners have a really loose mid range which is fine with a coil because it sucks up a lot of little chatter really easily. But EVERY air spring ever made already has a loose midrange, even the ones like a pike that everyone says you can tune it out. You can't. You can push the point where it gets progressive sooner into the stroke but it's still there. An air spring is still an air spring. You may like it but I don't think I would.

It's not the progressive bit that would worry me. It's the midstroke combo that would be created.

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
Part of what I'm not liking on the RC4 is that it's actually feeling a bit too linear. I'm not the most suspension savvy but even with extra PSI (I weigh 150 and have 155 in the chamber) and turned on a bit of HSC but still find it buzzing the seat deep in some corners or on less than smooth drops. For the most part I'm looking to save some weight and the cost for upgrading to an x2 is pretty minimal for me (not that i'm that rich, it just won't be particularly expensive to do).

Are you saying the mid range on the x2 will just be non-existent?

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Yeah - I was thinking since the SLS have thinner coils, but appear to be wrapped at the same OD, the ID could be larger than the old Fox springs.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Will the SLS springs fit on other shocks? kinda stoked on this new option.
No, but ones that are a better color will.

http://stendecworks.com/springs/

Part of what I'm not liking on the RC4 is that it's actually feeling a bit too linear. I'm not the most suspension savvy but even with extra PSI (I weigh 150 and have 155 in the chamber) and turned on a bit of HSC but still find it buzzing the seat deep in some corners or on less than smooth drops. For the most part I'm looking to save some weight and the cost for upgrading to an x2 is pretty minimal for me (not that i'm that rich, it just won't be particularly expensive to do).

Are you saying the mid range on the x2 will just be non-existent?
That's partly the bike, partly your shock setup, (and move your seat ;) )

I've got mine setup to run about 25%ish sag, and when I was using the RC4, ran a decent amount of LSC damping. I've been using vivids. Like I said, you may be able to tune for it better with the x2 damper but you're going to be starting with a spring that makes the issue more prominent. What spring are you using? I've got 10lbs on you and run a 350lb spring with a whole lotta preload. I've been looking at those stendec springs to get a 375lb one.

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
I'm also running a 350 so my sag is right where I want it to be. I jsut feel like the x2 offers a bit more tuning, i can add a little extra air to help offset that issue. I also am getting conflicting reports on it fitting but I think it will squeeze in there.

Robbie420

Chimp
Aug 15, 2015
Hmmm, I wonder if one of these will fit in a '13 Demo? Anyone done it yet?

Probably too early yet.
I've been running my Float X2 on my 13 Demo for 2 months or so. Had to do a bit of handiwork to the shock yoke though to make it fit though. But it wasn't hard at all

Dirk77

Monkey
Feb 15, 2014
Anyone know about fitment of the x2 float to a 14' carbon Wilson frame?

I guess the ccdba fits but you can't access the air valve without removing the shock.

The X2 float fits the Wilson! I saw it on fanatik bikes Facebook page. They were testing the shock on a carbon Wilson at whistler. They said it was awesome too. A buddy of mine just bought it for a 12' aluminium Wilson. He said is really good. I rode his bike only down a rocky fire road for a few minutes so can't say anything.

Carraig042

me 1st
Apr 5, 2011
East Tennessee
The X2 coil fits on the YT Tues Carbon no problem. Fox does not have the hardware size in their system so I had to measure it and give it to them when ordering though.

-Brett

Jase76

Monkey
Aug 10, 2007
Australia
I've been running my Float X2 on my 13 Demo for 2 months or so. Had to do a bit of handiwork to the shock yoke though to make it fit though. But it wasn't hard at all
Thanks for the reply.

What exactly did you have to do to get it to fit? Any pics would be great!

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
X2 definetely fits in the Turner but I broke my foot so no idea how it rides... But it's a whole lot lighter than the rc4 with steel spring that was on there...

Robbie420

Chimp
Aug 15, 2015
Thanks for the reply.

What exactly did you have to do to get it to fit? Any pics would be great!
I don't have actual pictures of what i did to my yoke, but if you do a google image search for Demo 8 Shock yoke mod you'll find a couple other pictures of the filing that needs to be done to the yoke. The yoke needs to be opened up a bit more as the eyelet is a little wider than the stock RC4.

Here is what work has to be done to the shock yoke, stolen from google.
p4pb9304516.jpg

Here is a picture of the bike with the shock.
p5pb12424332.jpg

swadd1er

Chimp
May 24, 2010
Newcastle
Brought this thread back to life..

Currently in the market for a new shock for my YT Capra. Had my heart fixed on the CCDB Coil CS, however, after reading this, the X2 seems to be outstanding. (Better than CCDB Air CS's apparently). Has anyone had any experience with the Coil CS?

PJivan

Monkey
Aug 27, 2006
Dublin, Ireland
Brought this thread back to life..

Currently in the market for a new shock for my YT Capra. Had my heart fixed on the CCDB Coil CS, however, after reading this, the X2 seems to be outstanding. (Better than CCDB Air CS's apparently). Has anyone had any experience with the Coil CS?
Same here, what worries me is the huge progression of the capra combined with an high volume negative spring air shock...ideally you would want something linear..

swadd1er

Chimp
May 24, 2010
Newcastle
Same here, what worries me is the huge progression of the capra combined with an high volume negative spring air shock...ideally you would want something linear..
Linear meaning a coil right? Maybe the CCDB Coil CS is the way to go, and then try the DHX2 once it comes out with the "climb switch" like Leov and Graves using in the EWS.

Last edited:

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
guys
just be sure what tune you need for your bike
found out that even with all the settings the the x2 has, you still need to shim it for low tune,
it comes default as M\M tune.

92SE-R

piston slapper
Feb 5, 2004
San Diego, CA
Does eyelet rotate easily? Or is it like the vivid air where you have to take it apart to rotate?

I don't have actual pictures of what i did to my yoke, but if you do a google image search for Demo 8 Shock yoke mod you'll find a couple other pictures of the filing that needs to be done to the yoke. The yoke needs to be opened up a bit more as the eyelet is a little wider than the stock RC4.

Here is what work has to be done to the shock yoke, stolen from google.View attachment 120449

Here is a picture of the bike with the shock.View attachment 120448

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Any updates on the X2 reliability and general experience? I fear my CCDBACS is about to puke its guts out (I see oil where I should not), the X2 sounds tempting especially if it offers a firmer mid-stroke support so I could stop fapping with the CS switch.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Any updates on the X2 reliability and general experience? I fear my CCDBACS is about to puke its guts out (I see oil where I should not), the X2 sounds tempting especially if it offers a firmer mid-stroke support so I could stop fapping with the CS switch.
I've had good experience on 2 different bikes (GT Sanction and SC Nomad). If you need a 8.5x2.5 I have the one that was on my Nomad, lightly used. Holla.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Mine and my friends shocks have been bulletproof. Very tunable and consistent. There's no need for the switch version, imo.