Quantcast

FOX34 performance suppleness options

ForMartha

Chimp
Feb 4, 2023
Heya folks,

I'm a long MTBR member, but it seems like most are biased against anything that isn't Manitou in the Shock and suspension forums. Although I really love my Manitou Mara, I can't seem to go with the R7 or the Mezzer due to their issues/incompatibility.

I ride a Banshee Phantom V3 paired with a Fox performance 120mm. What I need from it is small bump sensitivity. on paved roads or flowy trails it's super stiff until you push it hard. it's like it's over damped.

I wonder if going for 2021 GRIP2 damper is a good option, or something else?

Thanks,
Mor

ForMartha

Chimp
Feb 4, 2023
well, what's my options?
moving to Avalanche isn't that good of an option for me. it's very pricey and oriented to DH not supple XC riding.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
My new 23 34 fit4 seems pretty decent, i got a couple road rides and one good dirt ride before the ice storms hit last week. Pleasantly surprised so far, didnt totally suck as far as high speed impacts. My other is avalache.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
How old is the fork and when was it last serviced?

Or has it always felt the same?

Too much air pressure?

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
well, what's my options?
moving to Avalanche isn't that good of an option for me. it's very pricey and oriented to DH not supple XC riding.
How about an RC2? I am happy-sh with one in another 36 that's on my big hardtail, and the RC2 is generally highly regarded here. Pinkbike classifieds is your friend.
Also, have you considered fixing the spring side first? I have Vorsprung aftermarket parts in both forks - Luftkappe and Secus. They made a LOT of difference, too.
Oh, and the third thing - the damn bushings were too tight in both forks, even after a few years of riding. That would be my first step, having them burnished propertly.

ForMartha

Chimp
Feb 4, 2023
So to answer all,
1. The plan is to burnish it and do lower leg service (it's been around 6 months since), plus replacing the seals to PUSH ones (already on the way, I know the foam rings sucks so I'll use the standard one)
2. I don't know if RC2 can be found anywhere that will fit my MY19 Fox 34, I'll search
3. I thought about going for Vorsprung Luftkappe, but since it's not cheap, I was wondering if it worth doing something else (like replacing the damper) to fix it before going into the air side.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
No experience with a 34 but a 36.

-Always check for a bunch of extra grease in the negative chamber
-Don't get suckered into low pressure and a bunch of spacers. Higher dynamic ride height gives you more effective positive travel in a more plush spring rate.
-Same thing with damping and ride height. Sometimes more compression and less rebound results in a better ride.
-Larger tires and lower pressure, 120mm isn't ever going to be that plush.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
My Z1 2019 sounds like it is exactly what you are after, wonder why the 34 with a similarly crap damper would be so different? Have you popped the air spring and damper out at the top and cycled the fork with the wheel still installed? Should tell you if the bushings are tight or if your hub width is causing the fork to bind.

Mine only felt decent on XC or flow trails and that's why I got rid of it, it was the opposite of what I wanted.

ForMartha

Chimp
Feb 4, 2023
I'm going to burnish it and see what's the results are. Which lower leg oil do you folks prefer? I tend to go with Fox 20WT, but I might be missing anything here? (I live in Israel, it's kinda warm here, so should I take it in account?)

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
why aren't you using FOX's option? it's identical CST as far as I saw.
Because many are happy with the performance of the Motorex, and because I have no intention of supporting the PTFE-infused marketing bullshit of Fox. Besides, I can use the Motorex fork oil in other dampers without stressing about presence of PTFE where is shouldn't be.

ForMartha

Chimp
Feb 4, 2023
I tried looking around but I can't seem to source one, only the vvc is available.
any difference in plushness? (I know the lack of compression is present).

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Have you thought of a Secus unit?
If you want plush..... That'll do it.
It'll sort out the air spring nice, but it won't do anything for high-speed impacts (small bump) IMO. It also might be better to start with a DSD Runt than a full on Secus?

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
It'll sort out the air spring nice, but it won't do anything for high-speed impacts (small bump) IMO. It also might be better to start with a DSD Runt than a full on Secus?
Sounded like he's more XCish (it is a fox 34 after all) so I'm not convinced the HS will be as important.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Heya folks,

I'm a long MTBR member, but it seems like most are biased against anything that isn't Manitou in the Shock and suspension forums. Although I really love my Manitou Mara, I can't seem to go with the R7 or the Mezzer due to their issues/incompatibility.

I ride a Banshee Phantom V3 paired with a Fox performance 120mm. What I need from it is small bump sensitivity. on paved roads or flowy trails it's super stiff until you push it hard. it's like it's over damped.

Thanks,
Mor
does it have a grip 1 in it currently?

ForMartha

Chimp
Feb 4, 2023
Yeah, more like double track and maybe some flat singletrack. I wish DSD would've created a Runt for my 120mm fork.
As for the damper, it does have GRIP 1 and I thought maybe to buy the GRIP2 but i'm not sure it's going to answer what i need.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yeah, more like double track and maybe some flat singletrack. I wish DSD would've created a Runt for my 120mm fork.
As for the damper, it does have GRIP 1 and I thought maybe to buy the GRIP2 but i'm not sure it's going to answer what i need.

I have a DSD Runt for my 120mm 34. But it seemed to be one of the last available last year, not sure when they ever got more of them made.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
well, I need tools to start with, but I'm ok with it. what did you thought about?
I just did a big write up and lost it all
2021-34-GRIP-REBOUND-PISTON-ASSEMBLIES.jpg

Grip 1 midvalve has a stiff 0.15mm shim.
Grip 2 had three 0.1mm shims in a tapered stack
Grip 2 vvc went to two 0.1mm shms, much softer the second shim helps the first shim not permanently deform.
You can get these shims anywhere that sells a 7mm ID shims I used teknik Australia
You can buy the these from Fox but they are marked up alot
820-03-654-KIT.jpg

The base valve of a grip 1 and 2 (before vvc) use the same piston and shims. The difference being that the grip 2 has a lsc adjuster which allows oil to bypass the shim stack. And the hsc loader has finer threads on the grip 2 taking multiple turns and lots of clicks while the grip 1 uses the sweep adjuster. I've gone back from the grip 2 vvc to the rc2 (the bladder is too large diameter to fit a 34 btw so it never came in one) and then experimented and found this to be acceptable in the non vvc grip setup

820-03-530-kit.jpg

The non vvc and grip 1 cab generate huges amounts of damping, I find this transitions nicer from bleed to stack. Let's you use some lsc without getting crazy.

All you need is a clamp for damper body to make this change. Also (be very weary of your check shim so you don't pinch it and ruin it) when tightening the base valve back up.

Attachments

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Also I'd try it without any volume spacers, and clean up the grease, and reapply some grease (slickoleum) thinned by stirring in 20w gold going from warm peanut butter down to ketchup consistency. Make sure you put some in stancion and insert the piston and some behind the piston in the stancion, also some on the sealhead where the airshaft enters.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Heya folks,

Thanks,
Mor
Just out of curiosity, what was the incompatibility with a Mezzer and what were the issues with them?
I have mine at 120mm and I really like it.
Just don't clean the lowers with brake clean, oops.

Last edited: