Quantcast

Foxy people...need helps

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I'm looking at buying a new shock for my Rush, as I mentioned in another thread. I think I'm going to go with the 2013 CTD boost model, but I'm trying to figure out the new setup they have with low volume/high volume air cans. Apparently, LV is now "large volume": http://www.foxracingshox.com/technology.php?m=bike&t=lv&ref=topnav. Can I still get a small air can shock? I need the progressive rate for my swingle pivot. If not, can I get volume reducers for the 2013 shocks?

I'm not really "in the know" but looking at various mail order joints, you can get a 7.5x2 and a 7.5x2 high volume shock.

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
I'm looking at buying a new shock for my Rush, as I mentioned in another thread. I think I'm going to go with the 2013 CTD boost model, but I'm trying to figure out the new setup they have with low volume/high volume air cans. Apparently, LV is now "large volume": http://www.foxracingshox.com/technology.php?m=bike&t=lv&ref=topnav. Can I still get a small air can shock? I need the progressive rate for my swingle pivot. If not, can I get volume reducers for the 2013 shocks?

I'm not really "in the know" but looking at various mail order joints, you can get a 7.5x2 and a 7.5x2 high volume shock.
I was told that any time you order a fox rear shock through a shop, fox requires all of you bike info before they will accept an order. Fox then takes that info and matches up the shock tune and air can based on that. If you are worried about not ordering the right part, it sounds like they take care of that for you.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Well this would probably be through universal cycles...they have a handy dandy coupon right now.

They DO ask about bike setup, weight, model, etc, so I imagine that's what they're doing. The problem is that I have a non-standard shock size, and will have to send it off to have the stroke shortened or do it myself.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Have you thought of a Monarch? For a while there, Push was saying they prefer the Monarch to the Fox offerings because it was a much more sophisticated damper. I had one on my old Enduro that I bought from Push and it was great. Very reliable and it comes in lots and lots of sizes. That said, the RP23 CTD I got on my Mojo HD seems to work fine; it just tends to blow through it's travel far too easily. I have a volume reduction kit on order.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Have you thought of a Monarch? For a while there, Push was saying they prefer the Monarch to the Fox offerings because it was a much more sophisticated damper. I had one on my old Enduro that I bought from Push and it was great. Very reliable and it comes in lots and lots of sizes. That said, the RP23 CTD I got on my Mojo HD seems to work fine; it just tends to blow through it's travel far too easily. I have a volume reduction kit on order.

I second that- if I was buying new, I'd probably get another monarch. The "lockout" or "propedal" type feature (can't remember its name) did its job much better than any of the fox dampers I've owned. If you're into that sort of thing.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
weeeeeeeeeeell, Push no longer works on Monarch shocks. Not sure when that will return, but as of now it's: ???? Supposedly they had a lot of QC issues coming from RS and ended up taking a beating on their in-house prepared shock offerings. That aligns nicely with my own personal experience with my RS products, which is that they're terrible.

Fox, on the other hand, offers a pretty reliable damper with lots of adjustment and a platform that's pretty well ironed out by now. Plus, the boost valve should work pretty well for my intended application, which is a falling-rate swingarm bike. Finally, PUSH tunes fox shocks, and as I need to have the stroke shortened, I'd rather have it professionally done than to try and cobble together a split spacer, even if it achieves something similar.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Yeah, I saw that they weren't selling them anymore, hadn't noticed they weren't even working on them anymore. That probably says a lot. I guess I got lucky with mine in terms of reliability. It's interesting what 4130biker said about the platform. I remember thinking how much better the platform worked when I put the Monarch on. Now, on my new Fox shock, I find the platform in the "C" setting is even more pronounced. It's almost a lockout. Never use it. Really, my only complaint with the new Fox Shock is that it blows through it's travel so damn easily. And that is with it set at my body weight plus 35 psi. (250). I wonder if there is a way to increase the boost valve pressure to prevent bottom out....

Last edited:

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
Well this would probably be through universal cycles...they have a handy dandy coupon right now.

They DO ask about bike setup, weight, model, etc, so I imagine that's what they're doing. The problem is that I have a non-standard shock size, and will have to send it off to have the stroke shortened or do it myself.
Might not hurt to give Universal a call and see if they can work with you to get what is needed.

Seems to me that Fox has it set up that way to make sure that the customer gets exactly what is needed for their bike with out a lot of guess work.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Yeah, I saw that they weren't selling them anymore, hadn't noticed they weren't even working on them anymore. That probably says a lot. I guess I got lucky with mine in terms of reliability. It's interesting what 4130biker said about the platform. I remember thinking how much better the platform worked when I put the Monarch on. Now, on my new Fox shock, I find the platform in the "C" setting is even more pronounced. It's almost a lockout. Never use it. Really, my only complaint with the new Fox Shock is that it blows through it's travel so damn easily. And that is with it set at my body weight plus 35 psi. (250). I wonder if there is a way to increase the boost valve pressure to prevent bottom out....
Do you know if, on your fox shock, you have the XV or low volume canister?

I think the fact that your monarch well is a testament to PUSH. According to their MTBR posts, they ordered a bunch of shocks, then had to order a bunch of replacement air cans since the anodizing or tolerances were not up to spec for a product that they wanted to sell. He made it sound like they lost money on every monarch they sold, and goes on to say they're focusing on the products they can do right before they throw money away on new stuff.

Might not hurt to give Universal a call and see if they can work with you to get what is needed.
I realized that a minute ago...if I'm buying a brand new shock, I can probably get one that fits unless I'm buying used. Durr. I sent them an email...

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Do you know if, on your fox shock, you have the XV or low volume canister?
It's the one that came stock with the Mojo HD. On their website, they list the following as the standard shock: "FLOAT, RP23 BV XV, Ibis, Mojo HD 160, 8.50, 2.50, 2.9 Cr, VTL, RTL, BV200, S16, OE" but that was for 2011. Not sure if the "XV" has changed...

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
sounds like RP23, boost valve, extra volume, 8.5 i2i, 2.5 stroke, 2.9 compression ration, velocity tune low, rebound tune low, boost valve pressure 200, no idea on s16.

you could probably get a standard can or grab an air volume spacer kit and put it in there. From what I've read, a lot of people jumped on the XV bandwagon and then went back to reduced volume shocks, even on bikes with a DW link (ie the 5 spot). I think the kit is like $25 and gives you small med and high spacers. From what I understand, the XV can and the big spacer is roughly equal to a small volume can with no spacer.