Quantcast

FPBA nominees

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
That's right it's time to make your nominations for FPBA (That's right Future PinkBiker's of America). With the Canadian chapters of PinkBike now overflowing, it's time to bolster recruiting efforts in the States. Nominate your favorite Hucker to Flat, Drop Exaggerator, that's not a wall ride because it's not quite vertical arguer, or general idiot on wheels.

I'd like to officially open the this exciting event with the nomination of the middle school aged kid I met last night at the BMX track. I observed the nominee, discussing his ability to pull no footers and nothings with his peers (fellow middle school aged BMX'ers). However I noticed a large discrepancy between his talk and his actually abilities. No surprise there.

Later in the evening, after being called "Napolean" and asked 3 or 4 times if I "ever took my bike off any sweet jumps" by said obnoxious teen, he flatted and had the nerve to ask me if I had a spare tube. I looked at him with complete disbelief as I was rolling the 26's and he was on a 20' BMX. No I said, but I have a patch kit in my truck. To which he replied, "how will I find the hole, we'll need water." "What's a patch kit?" "Do patch kits work?" "Have you ever used a patch kit?" and so on and so forth.

So I take him over to his truck and he starts working on his bike. Except he can't figure out how to take off his wheel and its taking forever and I want to ride.

"Don't worry kid I say, I'll show you how it's done."
"See this kid, this is tire lever."
"Huh?"
"a tire lever"
"Oh"
"Have you never changed a flat before?"
"No, I usually just throw the bike in the garage and never ride it again or my dad fixes it for me."
"Ah!"

So I slowly and painfully start going through the process step by step to show him how it's done thinking that maybe he'll learn something. About this time an ice cream truck drives by and his ADD kicks in an he runs off to get an ice cream. I just kind of scratch my head and say oh well and finish up. I get everything back together and put air in the tire, but there's another hole in the tube that I missed. (The tire was threadbare from skidding so I'm not surprised.) Rather than take it all apart again to find the other hole I put about 60lbs of air in and told the kid to ride like hell home before it went flat again.

And thus I nominate kid from the bmx track last night to the high order of Future PinkBikers of America. While not truely a mountain biker, I feel he had potential and after all it's probably as close to mountain biking as any other PinkBiker past or present.

Before he left he gave me half his ice cream. I guess PinkBikers aren't all bad! I feel blessed. Submit your FPBA nominees here!