Quantcast

FR/AM 29er full suspensions?

Dethklok

Monkey
Jul 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
So I have been considering building up another dirt rig with boingers front and rear this time and with gears but still love the 29er wheels.

I was wondering what some good choices were for a All Mountain 29er that could handle some lighter freeride? I was looking for a short travel, short chainstay rig with sharp handling.

Right now Im pondering a Spec Stumpjumper FSR build

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
A little more info about your riding style, terrain, etc would help.

That said, as the owner of a WFO, sharp handling really doesn't come to mind. I refer to it as more of a monster truck. It's a really fun bike to ride but it doesn't pop out of corners, manual or maneuver like a short-mid travel 26" bike with short stays. It is good for what I'd call light freeride though, very stable, balanced in flight and even on the large frame I can get a pretty aggressive riding position but still ride to the top with the Joplin seatpost. Some people have built them with Double Barrels and Dorados for very aggressive riding.

I'm not the most gifted bike handler and in extremely rocky singletrack the WFO is a blast on rides less than 2.5hrs or so in length. I think mine sits right around 33-34 pounds. I own three 29ers with another Niner on the way but I'm also looking for a 26" bike to get a little of the quick, agile, feel of popping off of every little rock & root or accelerating quickly out of a berm back in to my riding. Keep in mind I 6'3" and ride either large or x-large frames in very technical terrain, adjust accordingly, big frames don't maneuver like smaller frames.

Edit to add: If you're still in Rochester look up Craig at Mendon Cyclesmith, he has at least one Lenz long travel bike I believe.

Dethklok

Monkey
Jul 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
Ah yes I know of Craig havent met him personally but a great guy from what i've heard.

terrain is mostly XC as far as parks go but I like to adventure and explore theres a few places ide like to bomb down and test out. There are a few drops around the area ranging from 5ft to 10ft.

As for my riding style I did some light FR when I was younger and just got back into mountain biking in general. Bought a Rockhopper SS 29er and fell in love with big wheels which will handle all my XC needs.

Im looking for a bike that I can go up with out pushing all the way and have fun going down ofcourse.

the Stumpy FSR 29er really caught my eye, and I know people have thrashed the 26" version pretty hard. Idealy a 29er enduro or SX trail would be awesome but I doubt we'll see that anytime soon.

Whatever I get I was gonna build from the frame up, strong wheels, beefy fork, etc. I actually was hoping to find a medium travel (130-140mm) dual crown, I like the strength they offer but there all 180mm+ isnt there a way to cut the travel down?

Dethklok

Monkey
Jul 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
Ok so Ive been pondering it more, what Im looking for is an all arounder backwoods bomber...something that can climb and can take drops, I dont expect it to climb like a XC bike nor do I expect it to take pro level descents like a full on DH/FR bike. But be able to handle everything.

Thats what caught my eye about the Stumpy FSR 29er, it has big wheels, tight(ish) geo, and decent suspension travel. And all I keep hearing is how diverse it is, although ideally a cross between a Enduro and Stumpy 29er would be what Im looking for :rant:

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
Sounds like a RIP9 or light build on a WFO would work then. I primarily went WFO because it was the most slack of the 29er FS bikes at the time. The '11 RIP got a slight head angle adjustment that would have me reconsidering if I were buying today.

NuMexJoe

Monkey
Aug 20, 2007
Does the Stumpy have a tapered HT? I got a chance to fondle a Camber last Fall and was surprised that it didn't have one. I agree that Banshee may hit the sweet spot w/ the new Prime, but I still hold out hope that either Giant will do a 29er Trance, or Voodoo will update/beef up the suspension design on the Canzo (they already did on the 26" version). The Norco Shinobi might be another option for you to consider, but it's hard to beat the Speshy warranty (esp. if you have a history and think you're gonna need it).
- Joe

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Ok so Ive been pondering it more, what Im looking for is an all arounder backwoods bomber...something that can climb and can take drops, I dont expect it to climb like a XC bike nor do I expect it to take pro level descents like a full on DH/FR bike. But be able to handle everything.

Thats what caught my eye about the Stumpy FSR 29er, it has big wheels, tight(ish) geo, and decent suspension travel. And all I keep hearing is how diverse it is, although ideally a cross between a Enduro and Stumpy 29er would be what Im looking for :rant:
I've got a Stumpy 29er. It's an all mountain bike, but by no means a freeride bike. I took it down a few trails in Bootleg. It was pretty sketchy, but I was wanting to ride at DH speeds since that's what i used to ride out there. It wasn't happening. It would've been better if i had better tires that were dual ply. It was alright. The bike is a great all mountain bike. It hauls ass uphill and down, but if you throw it toward some REAL Dh stuff, it hinders you.
That being said, when i'm ready for another DH bike, I'm looking for a 29er Dh bike. I'll give it a season before someone starts making one.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
That's way too big for a stumpjumper. My bike felt like it was almost bottoming out on a 3 foot drop at Bootleg a few weeks ago. The landing is a little bit flat, but still, it's a small drop. I wouldn't push mine past a 4 footer with a really smooth landing.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
If it were me, and I had a lot of money to throw into something like this, I'd get the Niner with the most travel, then put a Dorado fork on it. I heard rumors of a guy in Bootleg rippin the place up on something like that.

NuMexJoe

Monkey
Aug 20, 2007
While I'm sure Specialized would agree with you, I think that's a bit too black&white. I'm north of 200# and have more enthusiasm than skill, and it'd certainly be asking for eventual frame failure if I were to start hitting 5-footers on a Stumpy, but I've got riding buds that are barely 170# and smooth as buttah, and they could give the Stumpy a regular diet of such drops w/o consequence.
- Joe (who's broken 2 Ventanas)

That's way too big for a stumpjumper. My bike felt like it was almost bottoming out on a 3 foot drop at Bootleg a few weeks ago. The landing is a little bit flat, but still, it's a small drop. I wouldn't push mine past a 4 footer with a really smooth landing.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Ok, my bad. If you want to take a bike that isn't made for "freeride" or "light Dh" and abuse it, then go ahead. Riding a "trail" bike for "freeride" isn't nearly as fun as riding something that is purpose built. You have to second guess your equipment all the time. I'm sure there are some guys that can ride smooth since they're nice and petite, but riding a 29er stumpjumper for freeride would not be a good idea.
If you have the skills, you could ride a tricycle for "freeride", but why would you when you could get something that is meant to last and handle the abuse?