Quantcast

fr derailer didnt come in so racing 9spd only

claywt

Chimp
Feb 26, 2003
canyon, tx
hey has any one ever raced with no front derailer i was trying to figure out if i should pull my other two chain rings and cut a little weight or is my chain going to hop of the mid ring abunch.

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
I think your chain will come off regardless of whether you've got 1 or 3 rings on there.

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore
it will hop off regardless.

i think your best bet would be to get something cheap from the discount table at your lbs, then keeping it in case you need it again.

CTR

Chimp
Sep 1, 2002
Australia
you could grab another old big ring and some longer chain ring bolts and some spacers and bolt the second big ring onto the inside of you middle ring, space it out just right and you'd have a pretty secure setup, how many times does your chain jump from the middle ring to the big ring in an XC race? not often so it could work.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
i rode my Fat all year last year with just a 36T up front. as long as you shorten the chain enough you shouldn't have any problems. i ran a FD locked out as a guide for a while but found very little use for it.
I'm going to run the same setup this year (36T up front and either a 12-27 or 32) on my xtc race bike, i might put a rohloff box guide up top, but i doubt it. The 36 tooth chainring is a gift from god. soooo versatile...

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Originally posted by Capt. Burntout
The 36 tooth chainring is a gift from god. soooo versatile...
Hear, hear...even we freeriders love the 36t! Bow before its greatness!

(though those of us not riding rigid steel Fats sometimes pair it with a 22t inner for those long, grinding climbs...)

MD

claywt

Chimp
Feb 26, 2003
canyon, tx
well, i rode my setup just like it was and didnt hardly have any problem at all chain stayed on the middle when i pre rode and the first lap and ahalf it only droped to the lower ring once. but, when it did i was standing on a climb and it snaped right in half.
O well live and learn, ill order parts a little more in advance next time.