Quantcast

FR disc brake suggestions/experiences

Z2adambomb

Chimp
Feb 16, 2005
Raleigh/Durham, NC
Hey, I'm building up a new FR bike and I'm trying to get a feel for the right brake system to put on it. I'm a long time magura rim brake user and honestly I think a lot of the reviews I've read slamming brake systems is due to improper setup. Hydrualics can be a pain, but I'm not afraid to put the time in. I was hoping to get some input on Hayes 8" mags and the 4 pot XT's. I can't afford hope M4's, otherwise I'd probably get those. I dunno if anyone is lookin for new brakes, but cambria is clearing out HFX-9's and the previous XT for pretty good prices. Anyone have experience comparing these brakes? I'm looking for enough power to do light DH. Any thoughts would be great, thanks!

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
BigStonz said:
Go hydraulic. I was an Avid mech holdout for far too long.
Mechs are good on cross or XC hardtails. Any full squishy will be going too fast for mechs to haul down w/o melting (talking figuratively, not literally) :D

Edit: I take that back. It maybe OK on something like a Epic XC full squishy.

Z2adambomb

Chimp
Feb 16, 2005
Raleigh/Durham, NC
ya that's what I've been hearing, that the HFX-9s have crap levers. I think I'd get the mags if I ended up with hayes. I guess I'm just wondering if the lever difference explains all the complaints.

Z2adambomb

Chimp
Feb 16, 2005
Raleigh/Durham, NC
hey, thanks for all the responses. I actually ended up getting Hope M4's. From what I hear they should get the job done pretty well give or take some possible squeeks. :D

The HFX-9 are wonderfull once you work out the kinks. The only reasoon they are bad is because only some of them get a mis fitted master cylender pin. They were also new for 04 and obviosly all first genoration stuff sucks. The 05 HFX-9's are much better.
You see with the mags there are so many peices inside the lever body withc cause really big problems whan the get banged arround. Unless you are riding XC dont't get them and get the HFX-9
Once again all Hayes products say they are pre-bled, but the all need some time and patience.
People are always feeling my levers because the feel so plush. I LOVE mine and recomend them to anyone buying hayes products. and if you are willing to spend time with them get them. HFX-9 all the way!

This is the stand point of a mechanic.:D

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
caputo1989 said:
You see with the mags there are so many peices inside the lever body withc cause really big problems whan the get banged arround. Unless you are riding XC dont't get them and get the HFX-9
Are you kidding? Hayes Mags have been THE standard for dh brakes for 10 years. There is no greater number of pieces in the lever body. Mags are the most reliable things out there, hands down.

HFX-9s are a pain in the ass b/c of the lever/mastercylinder connection ball joint thing, and b/c of the bleed "plug" that tends to fall out.

DßR said:
Are you kidding? Hayes Mags have been THE standard for dh brakes for 10 years. There is no greater number of pieces in the lever body. Mags are the most reliable things out there, hands down.

HFX-9s are a pain in the ass b/c of the lever/mastercylinder connection ball joint thing, and b/c of the bleed "plug" that tends to fall out.
Im sticking with my opinion because the HFX-9 have been refined! :mumble:
My 04 ones work better than any mags Ive ridden and they are more plush!
I think u r on crack! The 9's also were made to replace tha MAGS so:stupid: :mumble: If the mags are so great then Why have I had more trouble with them?
Even if they are a bad pair Hayes will send you the new ball joint things. so think about what you are riping on.

EDIT: Replace a MC on both breaks and then tell me what lever is better.

Z2adambomb

Chimp
Feb 16, 2005
Raleigh/Durham, NC
I have also heard about those plastic ball joints in the 9's levers being a reliability problem. I don't have experience with them, but I hear the mag's are better. There is no doubt that Hayes has a longer lineage of hydraulic brake systems than in mountain biking alone. They make disc brakes for industrial, motorcycle, and other applications so they definitely have experience. A lot of the slamming of hayes stuff is no doubt improper setup and impatience, which I noticed with my magura rim brakes as well. I loved'm but heard so many complaints cause people wouldn't set them up properly. I guess I just ended up buying what had the most praise/fewest complaints, and that was the M4. We'll see how that turns out.

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
caputo1989 said:
Im sticking with my opinion because the HFX-9 have been refined! :mumble:
My 04 ones work better than any mags Ive ridden and they are more plush!
I think u r on crack! The 9's also were made to replace tha MAGS so:stupid: :mumble: If the mags are so great then Why have I had more trouble with them?
Even if they are a bad pair Hayes will send you the new ball joint things. so think about what you are riping on.

EDIT: Replace a MC on both breaks and then tell me what lever is better.

hahahaaa, calm down son.

1st off, the 9's were NOT made to replace the Mags. They were intended to replace the Comp's which were Hayes' entry-level (cheap) brakes, which had plastic composite lever bodies that broke very easliy. Again, the 9's were NOT made to replace the Mags, and they have not replaced them. The 9's are now the entry-level low priced offering; the Mags are the high-end ones. The new El Camino I guess will fall somewhere above the Mags.

2nd -- what is "plush" when referring to a brake lever? That makes no sense whatsoever.

3rd - refining a brake doesn't make it better than another brake, it makes it better than it USED TO BE.

I'm a professional bike mechanic; I've replaced m/c's in both models. I might as well also mention that I've replaced a number of leaky HFX-9 m/c's, which is a problem the Mags never had, not to mention countless lost bleed plugs, another problem the Mags never have, and wtf, might as well throw in the tons of damaged ball/socket joints, which is another problem the Mags don't have.

What, exactly, in your opinion, is the problem with the Mags?

I dont have a problem with them at all.
I just have had better luck riding and working with the 9's than the mags. I have a pair of mags myself and even swapeed them with 9's because I got them to feel smoother and brake stronger than the mags.
I just dont see why peope dont give the 9's a chance.
IMO the 9's for the $$ thwy are the best performing brake out there you just neeed to know how to set them up. (I have mastered that)
Also my 9's are more powerfull than my mags.

EDIT: Ihave also taken Hard spills with the 9's and the plastic thing hasn't broken yet.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
:rolleyes:

Caputo, you haven't figured out that since there are dozens of people who have had one experience, and you are the only one who has had the opposite experience, that might mean that your experience is unique or uncommon?

Just because you've had good luck with something doesn't mean that everyone else has, or that it's a good part. It just means you've had good luck.

Hell, I ran that Easton CT2 seatpost with the old style sliding clamps for three years on my commuter bike, and while everyone else in the world had issues with the clamps, mine were fine. That doesn't mean I ran around telling people they were wrong, or telling the world that the seatpost was the best. I just said, "Lots of people have problems with it. Mine have been fine and I like it."

:stosh:

dhpimp

Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
MILFS BEDROOM
Z2adambomb said:
I was hoping to get some input on Hayes 8" mags and the 4 pot XT's. I can't afford hope M4's,
either of these are great.. the Avid Juicy 7's are nice, but i have seen a lot with the small dial in the front breaking off - bad design... any Shimano Deore or above will be great.. Hayes Mag are nice - incredible stopping power, but little modulation.. it really depends on what your looking for in a brake..

Modulation/power - SAINT's
On/Off braking Power - Hayes Mag (mag plus = bling!)
Lightweight/adjustable - Juicy 7

WV Hippy

Chimp
May 20, 2004
Actually I'm thinking of replacing my hfx 9's with avid mechanicals. I've gotten two fiddly seasons out of them, but they've about had it. I'm thinking with a really nice lever, and some good cables, braking will be on par with my hard to keep aligned, high maintainence hydros. Maybe if I was willing to spend more I'd get something super nice, but frankly I'm impressed with the Avids. The caliper positioning system makes all the difference in the world.