Quantcast

Frame advice, Devinci Wilson, Demo 8 or other?

blackspire

Monkey
Jul 19, 2007
Need some advice, I'm currently on a Kona Stab Supreme 2010, and want to upgrade the frame. My main problems with the Kona is I don't find particularly playful or plush, it's also quite heavy.

I've googled around a bit, and narrowed my choices down a bit, to Demo 8 aluminum frame or the Devinci Wilson Carbon. The Demo 8 is a bit cheaper. From what I've gathered the Wilson is a bit more race-oriented and requires more from the rider, while the Demo 8 is better if you are not super fast? Is there any truth to this? I'm not a fast racer so I want something that works for an average downhiller. Should I get something else?

After watching this dirt video:

http://dirt.mpora.com/news/behind-the-scenes-at-the-dirt-magazine-carbon-downhill-bike-test-in-san-romolo-italy.html

It feels like Demo 8 is the best of the 4, on the other hand they are testing the carbon one, while I'm looking at the alu version. I haven't found the review online either so I don't know what they think of the Wilson.

Last edited:

dhmike

Turbo Monkey
Dec 20, 2006
Boise Idaho
I have a aluminum demo and love it . I have no complaints with the demo and it's one of the best dh frames I've ever owned . I don't have any input on the Wilson frame but watchout for demo hate on RM . There seems to be alot of that these days.

Tomasz

Monkey
Jul 18, 2012
Whistla
You're going to base your decision upon the opinion of one person whom you don't know, and who was riding frame / cockpit setups which didn't fit him, and who rode bikes with completely disparate suspension and ergo setups across the frames?

All four of the carbon bikes are awesome. Be picky and take your time looking around and you can find great deals on them (Trek 9.9 frames can be found for 3.5k, for example).

Drth Vadr

Monkey
Oct 5, 2011
Take reviews or opinions with a grain of salt. Reviewer said it all at the end, "It's all about fit." Notice that he stuggle to find a complaint for the V10 or the Session and it boiled down to frame size. Then he said that the Demo didn't do anything special, but it just fit. Your can ride the best bike in the world and know it, but it's going to feel like Sh!t if it doesn't fit. In a earlier dirt mag review of the Wilson, Scalpel, and Aurum the reviewer reiterated the same thing about the Devinci being a race machine.
I find it unneccessary to keep up with the jones to have a killer time on my DH bike. I guess what I'm saying is don't get caught up in the "BRAND" BS. A Jedi, TR450, Yeti or DHR are all equally good bikes all from small companies that may not have the ability to finance a WC team in Europe. Also any one of these bikes from 2010 on are going to feel like the best bike you have ever ridden. So take that as a save a few bucks hint.

Last edited:

blackspire

Monkey
Jul 19, 2007
You're going to base your decision upon the opinion of one person whom you don't know, and who was riding frame / cockpit setups which didn't fit him, and who rode bikes with completely disparate suspension and ergo setups across the frames?

All four of the carbon bikes are awesome. Be picky and take your time looking around and you can find great deals on them (Trek 9.9 frames can be found for 3.5k, for example).
I just want to make an informed decision :) It´s quite a lot of money so don´t want to buy something that I will regret. Also if possible I want to avoid spending more than I have to (like buying a carbon demo 8/v10 since they are so much more expensive here than the alu demo for example).

The Demo I might be able to find to make a test run, but the Devinci I wont so thats also an aspect to consider. Im 6ft (184 cm) so thats also why I was a bit worried since the Devinci carbon might be the wrong size.

Last edited:

boylagz

Monkey
Jul 12, 2011
SF bay area
I hope you can swing a leg over some of the bikes youre looking at. If not, cross your fingers and get the cheapest frame you can get.

Tomasz

Monkey
Jul 18, 2012
Whistla
Having spent a lot of time on a lot of different bikes lately, I think that it would be foolish to not get a carbon bike. That's my opinion.

I'd describe the bikes like this:

Wilson most plowy
V10 also really plowy maybe a bit less
Session most poppy
Demo haven't ridden

You'll be happy with any of them.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
It's really hard to go wrong with most current frames at this point. Sizing and reliability are really the main things to consider.

Best advice really is to find any way possible to try the bikes you like. Look for demo days, go to a bike park that has rentals, ect.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I have a aluminum demo and love it . I have no complaints with the demo and it's one of the best dh frames I've ever owned . I don't have any input on the Wilson frame but watchout for demo hate on RM . There seems to be alot of that these days.
who hates the demo these days? the only hate I've seen is that people think the chainstay isn't long enough for aaron gwins riding preference (hence the longer chainstay and better results)...not that it isn't a good bike.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
who hates the demo these days? the only hate I've seen is that people think the chainstay isn't long enough for aaron gwins riding preference (hence the longer chainstay and better results)...not that it isn't a good bike.
??

People have thought that about the Demo series since the days of the Demo 9.

Sugar_brad

Monkey
Jun 20, 2009
Been on the current demo platform for three years now.I am no pro racer, just an average cat 1 guy. If you consider yourself an average rider the aluminum will suit you just fine.I would try to get a frame with a ccdb or the new ohlins shock.The rc4 is a decent shock but nowhere near a ccdb.If you are buying used make sure to get a ccdb that was oem on the frame, they are tuned to the demo and have a lighter high speed compression poppet spring.All three of my demo frames have been trouble free.I had to mill a little metal from the non-drive side dropout to fit my I9s but it is no big deal.Any of the bikes you are looking at would be awesome.P.S. I will be selling my 2013 medium frame very soon to get a 2014 if you are looking for a used frame;)

Freeridin'

Monkey
Oct 23, 2006
Colorado
Im 6ft (184 cm) so thats also why I was a bit worried since the Devinci carbon might be the wrong size.
I'm 6'4" and have owned both a large and XL Wilson. I prefer the XL, I suspect the large will be fine for you.
Devinci also just got their XL carbons in...I'll be selling my XL shortly.

The Wilson begs to go faster in any situation and feels great doing so. It jumps lippy table tops just fine, but I would not compare it to the "jumpability" of a Demo.

Last edited:

Bedlam

Monkey
Feb 13, 2010
Under ground
I'm 183 cm and feel spot on @ L Wilson w/ 165 mm cranks, 45 mm stem and 780 bars.
I haven't ridden any of the other bikes, but the Wilson really rocks. If you only ride built trails with berms and jumps and pop is the number one deciding factor, then I would perhaps look at the other alternatives (heard good things about the Demo and the Session for pop and flickability), but I would by no means say that the Wilson is dead. I can pop and throw whips and stuff just fine on mine, both on lippy stuff and on rocks and roots in the forest. Where the Wilson really shines is rough stuff though, it gobbles everything and begs for seconds.. It's pretty insane how you can just chuck it of a rock and land pretty much knee deep in rocks, roots and $h1t and still come out just fine, without the rear end feeling dead and you still get a good feeling for the trail.
Of all the DH bikes I've owned, the Wilson is the first that I've not once felt I wanted to change for something sexier or whatever. I'm on my second season on my -11 alu version, and I will ride it until it falls to pieces..

muddyfox

Monkey
Feb 13, 2002
North Vancouver, B.C.
Another vote for the Wilson, I'm 6' and really like the way the large fits, I've found that it's still playful while eating up the ground, corners like crazy. And the CCDB with the new 40 float matched up is soooo much fun.

Apr 25, 2011
Pacific Northwet
I will preface this by saying I am a hack past my prime. But I would say Wilson as well. 5'10" and on a large I almost feel top tube could be longer. The bike can monster truck, but it still corners really well. It was between a demo and a Wilson for me and I just never felt comfortable on the demo once speeds picked up in the rough stuff. It always felt scary and on the edge of loosing it. Wilson was much more confidence inspiring as speeds increased.

Bedlam

Monkey
Feb 13, 2010
Under ground
Wilson was much more confidence inspiring as speeds increased.
Actually, this. I guess it might be down to dialled suspension, but honestly on my Wilson the trails just get smoother and smoother the faster I go.
I do find that I need to ride it a little bit out back to get the most out of it, but my cockpit is pretty low (BOS idylle with flat crowns, pretty low stem and low rise Renthal bar), but then it really rails corners. No problem getting it airborne out of berms and jump berm to berm.

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
Soo, I'm surprised that no one has brought this up yet; Where and what do you ride? I think that makes a big difference. I bought a new Demo at the beginning of last season after looking at all the top contenders. 9 times out of 10 I ride at Highland, which is more of a bike park than a big DH mountain. There are a lot of man made jump trails and to be honest, a single crown 6x6 bike would be fine there. BUT, there are some rough techy DH trails as well, although they tight twisty and are not overly steep. At the end of the day, the Demo fit the bill perfectly. The bike jumps great, is "flickable" and the short chain stays make it easy to manual (something I was not great at), and turn quick in the tight stuff. I also rode the bike at Bromont, which has a lot more high speed stuff and it worked great there as well.

That being said, If I lived out in CA still or at a place with more steep terrain and high speed trails, I probably would have went with a DHR or something along those lines. I just don't need a super slack bike. I also don't race much at all, so I really just wanted a bike that could be built light, would handle just about anything and be fun to ride..the Demo fit the bill for me, but again it depends on what you ride the most.

Oldranger

Chimp
Jan 20, 2013
USA
I second the recommendation of going to a place like Whistler and renting the ones you want to compare. It is a very individual preference. I've been with friends there that test different bikes and as an observer it seems very evident when they are on a bike that works for them. They have more fun, feel better and are faster (all related).

Do you already have parts that fit one, but not the other? (Shocks or Titanium springs? Seat post?)

Other admin factors: will you require help from a local shop? How do they respond to warranty?

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
Yeah look at the purchase from a practical standpoint. Swapping parts = check what fits. Warranty/support = google frame model/company for info, etc etc. Warranty for example.

Riding wise I dont think you will be disapointed with any new option from any reputable company that has a proper wc presence.

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
Buy the cheaper bike. Bottom line is, neither bike is perfect, but they are both very good in their own way. You'll figure out how to ride either bike, and you will have fun doing it.