Quantcast

Frame choice

spec-rider88

Monkey
Oct 22, 2006
St.Leonard, MD
I'm trying to figure out what frame I want to go with. I have an '05 P-1 now, and I am looking at the Atomlab Trailking or the NS Bikes Suburban. I am leaning towards the trailking, but the only thing that makes me think twice is the internal headset. I know they are becoming very popular in BMX and hardtails alike, but I have never owned a bike with one. Is there anything that I should really worry about with that?

The Suburban allows for a standard headset, but the chainstays are about a half inch longer. It is also about $70 cheaper. The two are basically the same weight and the specs are very similar.They are the prob the best choices available to me at the shop I work at, so I am looking between these two (mainly for cost). Anyone have any time on the Suburban or Trailking? Any guidance will be appreciated.

Trailking link: http://www.atomlab.com/frametrailking.html

Suburban Specs:

bottom bracket: 68mm
size: 12"
seat angle: 71 deg
front derail: 28.6mm
chainstay: 15.25"
top tube: 22.75"
seatpost: 27.2mm
headset: 1-1/8"
color: white
head angle: 70 deg

Sep 20, 2007
Champaign, IL
I cannot offer advice on the Atomlab, but can on the Suburban. I was on an NS Suburban for a short while. (I got it in a trade for a trials bike before my Dobermann came in.) I was VERY impressed, especially once I saw the price. It rode really well, manualed well, and just wanted to spin. I had a 100mm travel fork on it and I could do static 180s just about with my eyes closed. I would have had no problem keeping that and riding it. Frame seemed to be pretty high quality as well. I sold it to a guy in California (its in Fed Ex's hands now) but I can only imagine he will be as pleased.

Based on that alone I vote for the NS.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Nothing to worry about with an internal headset. I like them better. They're super simple and hassle free.

Those are both great frames. I think you'd be happy with either. I like the progressive geo of the trailking, though. It has really short stays and a bottom bracket higher than most. I think that is where it's at on dj hardtails.

spec-rider88

Monkey
Oct 22, 2006
St.Leonard, MD
Cool cool. It looks like it's gonna be a tough choice. I still am partial to the atomlab, so I might go with that anyway. Now all I have to do is sell my P-1 frame.....any takers? It's an '05 P-1, and I'll include a seat/seatpost and FSA Orbit Extreme deepcup headset (aluminum cups): $250. Will also include (if desired):Saint shifter, LX shrt cage der., 9 spd cass. $100. I'll repost in the classifieds with pics.

Thanks for the input guys. If you have something to contribute, then please still do.

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
I was looking at the Trailking when i was looking for a new frame as well. It was the Trailking, ToP or Riot for choices. I liked the idea of super short stays but the tt length I thought was too long for me. I chose the Riot because it has a 21.5tt, 15.6mm stays and 12.25" BB. That and I wanted a bike with no derailler tabs. Nice and clean.

spec-rider88

Monkey
Oct 22, 2006
St.Leonard, MD
Man, it seems like the more I find out, the harder it is for me to pick. The Suburban is so clean, but the Trailking looks like it has a better geo. I am also considering buying a rigid fork down the line with some 24" wheels, so I can do a swap if I see fit. Basically, I am just looking for more input/feedback, especially from those who have ridden either of these frames

SDG

Chimp
May 24, 2007
I'm missing the usage of the bike :disgust: but with the 24's and rigid fork mentioned i think you ride Park & Street? In this case i would go with the Suburban. Very clean frame and very spinnable..

If your planning to go on the Dirt most of the time then i would go for the Trailking. This frame is very stable with speed and eat's big Dirtjumps for breakfast. The frame has a long Toptube that makes Street/Park riding a bit difficult.

For the intergrated headset, go with it, it's so much easyer to install and service. The Suburban 2008 will be fitted with a internal headset and Mid-BB.. :)

spec-rider88

Monkey
Oct 22, 2006
St.Leonard, MD
Yeah, dirt is by far my favorite, but I ride park and street the most. Does anyone know the correct TT length for the trailking? Their website has 23.25" and 22.8" listed on the same page (BTI also lists 22.8"). I feel like I am over analyzing this wayyyyyy to much because I am usually the one telling my friends "Just shut up and ride your freaking bike!"

If 22.8" is the case, then it's only .05" longer than the Suburban. Also, anybody know where the Atomlab frames are made at? Man, I hope I figure this out soon...

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
ok i just got my atomlab trailking frame and it has a 23.5" toptube. also mine has a 27.2mm seatpost. one thing i will note is that all the weld look awesome. everything seems to be in order. i will post more info when i get it built up.

spec-rider88

Monkey
Oct 22, 2006
St.Leonard, MD
ok i just got my atomlab trailking frame and it has a 23.5" toptube. also mine has a 27.2mm seatpost. one thing i will note is that all the weld look awesome. everything seems to be in order. i will post more info when i get it built up.
Nice! Yeah, I would probably have one already as well, but I think I am gonna wait until the 22.8 version comes out. How tall are you? I'm like 5'11", so I think the 23.5 may be a bit too long for me. I also REALLY want to get riding again. Def keep me updated with how you like it though.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
well damn your in maryland. when i get it built up (hope in the next couple of weeks) we could meet up so you can check it out. i need to call them anyway to ask them some question myself. i will ask them about the 22.8" version as well.

just as a reference i'm 6'5" so i like a long frame

opjones

Monkey
Aug 17, 2006
Detroit
I own a P.3 that I ride all the time and I also have the opportunity to ride an Atomlab Trailking from time to time. Switching between the two you notice a big difference, mainly it's the change in the BB height, but also I notice the shorter stays. The Trailking is a little snappier moving around, a lot easier to manual and really pops on jumps or out of quarters. I have no experience with the Suburban, but I will say if you get the atomlab it'll take a few rides to get used to, but I believe you would like it more than your P.3. I should be getting a frame with similar geo this summer, i can't wait.

spec-rider88

Monkey
Oct 22, 2006
St.Leonard, MD
well damn your in maryland. when i get it built up (hope in the next couple of weeks) we could meet up so you can check it out. i need to call them anyway to ask them some question myself. i will ask them about the 22.8" version as well.

just as a reference i'm 6'5" so i like a long frame
Yeah, I noticed that you are in VA. Do you ride 495/Wakefield at all? I like to go there when I can, so let me know! It would be awesome to try it out first. BTW, Mike @ Atomlab said that the 22.8 won't be available until late spring.....:(

spec-rider88

Monkey
Oct 22, 2006
St.Leonard, MD
The short rear end makes up for this I think. I have no problem spinning it around on a qtr., even easier than my P bike.
Really? That's pretty interesting to hear 'cause the TT is an inch longer on the Trailking. If what you say is true, then that's good news for me. How tall are you, btw?

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
ahh no good about the 22.8" but yeah i ride 495 when i get a chance to and i but you can find me in the wakefield skate park from time to time. i come from a trials back ground when it comes to street so the high bb will feel really good to me but like the guy above said it will take some time to get use to as the p series has a really really low bb. one thing i will say when you get use to a high bb there are alot of advantages when it come to bike maneuverability. like i said i hope to have mine biult up in the next couple of weeks or so. got to wait for that pay check you know

opjones

Monkey
Aug 17, 2006
Detroit
Really? That's pretty interesting to hear 'cause the TT is an inch longer on the Trailking. If what you say is true, then that's good news for me. How tall are you, btw?

Do you have a short P.3 frame? I have a long, and I thought, from what I can remember, that the TT on TK & P.3 where pretty darn close. I'm 6' and Thomas who has the TK is maybe an inch shorter than me, he does have his bars relaxed back a little also.

spec-rider88

Monkey
Oct 22, 2006
St.Leonard, MD
Do you have a short P.3 frame? I have a long, and I thought, from what I can remember, that the TT on TK & P.3 where pretty darn close. I'm 6' and Thomas who has the TK is maybe an inch shorter than me, he does have his bars relaxed back a little also.
Well, the long version of the P-3 is 22.5, and the TK available now has a 23.5. I'd be interested to see how it feels in comparison to my P-frame because the c.s. are about 2" shorter and the TT is an inch longer. If the 22.8 version of the TK were available now, then it would make this choice much easier! lol

opjones

Monkey
Aug 17, 2006
Detroit
Well, the long version of the P-3 is 22.5, and the TK available now has a 23.5. I'd be interested to see how it feels in comparison to my P-frame because the c.s. are about 2" shorter and the TT is an inch longer. If the 22.8 version of the TK were available now, then it would make this choice much easier! lol
The other day when I read this the specialized website was down, I just now got around to getting the geo for my frame. TT is 596mm/23.46"

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCGeometryPopup.jsp?a=b&minisite=10029&spid=21455&language=US

05 P.3 Close window

Size Short Long
Stand Over Height 25.5" 26.5"
Top Tube Length* 560mm 596mm
Head Tube Length 100mm 110mm
Head Angle 69.5° 69.5°
Seat Angle 72.0° 72.0°
Wheel Base 1012mm 1048mm
Chain Stay Length 412.0 412.0
BB Height 11.85" 11.85"
* TT is measured horizontally from center of HT to center of ST
*Not all sizes available in all markets.

spec-rider88

Monkey
Oct 22, 2006
St.Leonard, MD
is it possible that the reason the Trailking tt seems extra long 23.25"/ 23.5" is that the seat tube is bent/angled back ?

as talked about before, TT length measurements are sometimes not as helpful as other things you could measure. like what i was calling "Front End Length":

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193279&highlight=front+end+length
Hmm...that is a very good point. I have to look into that more. Hopefully, Sir Crackien will be nice enough to let me take a spin on his when he gets it built up!