Quantcast

frame choice

dklopp

Chimp
May 1, 2007
Carnation/Spokane, WA, USA
I am in the market for a new frame to replace my 07 trek session 7. Right now I am looking at getting either a Transition Blindside or a Turner Highline. I have found both size medium, new, and for almost the exact same price. My riding style is mostly a big mountain type freeride with the occasional slopestyle ride and dh race. BTW I am 5'11, 145 lbs and would equip the frame with a totem and other solid freeride parts. This brings about some questions.

How would both stack up for my type of riding?
Are there any reliability problems with the highlines? are spare parts hard to get?
How flick-able is the highline compared to the blindside?

Thanks for the help!!!

-DK

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
That is primarily a race frame... He want's to do freeriding too and I can garuntee a bike like that isn't as maneuverable as a bike with a steeper head angle and shorter wheelbase.

I say go for the turner. It seems more like a freeride bike, while a blindside would cater more towards faster riding. This is all just e-speculationg though. I have ridden a blindside for a short time, and liked it though. It's just not exaclty a "race bike", it's more freeride.

Another thing I would suggest you do is go look at numbers and geometry.

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
I really like my blindside, jumps great, good for dh and fr. I haven't ridden a highline but they are good too. with the shorter rear shock(7" wheel travel) it has good geometry but with the longer shock(8" travel) it has a high BB.

blindside is lighter if that matters.
transition has the blindside video on their site if you want to watch it in action also.

dklopp

Chimp
May 1, 2007
i have been eying the blindside for a while, but then i came across a great deal on highline, which is another bike i have always loved. i have ridden a blindside and i did like it. but i am thinking the highline would probably better suit my style.

does anyone know if replacement parts are easy to come by?
any other comments on the highline? it isnt very common in the PNW like the blindside is.

thanks for the replies

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
From what I've seen the Turner is going to be more reliable. I've seen a couple of people shear the upper pivot bolts on Transitions. The Turner uses pretty standard bearings which you can replace if need be. I'm also a big fan of the dropout/hanger design on the Highline.

Edit: Disclaimer: I've never actually owned either, so this is just second-hand observation.

DHRracer

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
I am in the market for a new frame to replace my 07 trek session 7. Right now I am looking at getting either a Transition Blindside or a Turner Highline. I have found both size medium, new, and for almost the exact same price. My riding style is mostly a big mountain type freeride with the occasional slopestyle ride and dh race. BTW I am 5'11, 145 lbs and would equip the frame with a totem and other solid freeride parts. This brings about some questions.

How would both stack up for my type of riding?
Are there any reliability problems with the highlines? are spare parts hard to get?
How flick-able is the highline compared to the blindside?

Thanks for the help!!!

-DK
Between the two I would go with the Highline.However both are on the heavy side,what will the primary use be? If it is freeride,the Highline again my choice. If you will be doing more slopestyle I might look at something else. Also ask yourself at what level of freeride or DH racing will you be doing. If there is any concerns with problems in the future with the Highline just call Turner and ask what there support might be. If the Highline has the latest version of chainstays there should be no problems.

dklopp

Chimp
May 1, 2007
Between the two I would go with the Highline.However both are on the heavy side,what will the primary use be? If it is freeride,the Highline again my choice. If you will be doing more slopestyle I might look at something else. Also ask yourself at what level of freeride or DH racing will you be doing. If there is any concerns with problems in the future with the Highline just call Turner and ask what there support might be. If the Highline has the latest version of chainstays there should be no problems.
The primary use will be freeride. But I am starting to race a bit too, and I am also learning more tricks. This is why I am focusing on a bike between the typical slopestyle and dh frames (I already have a dj hardtail too btw). I guess I will try to call them up next week to see what the support would be.

New SX ???
The new sxt is nice (I dont really want the sx because it would crossover a lot with my hardtail). I like the new faith and sxt a lot, but then I wouldn't be able to use my fork, which is a totem with a 1.5 steerer. And I don't have enough money for both a frame and fork.