• Total voters

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
Looking for opinions..... 07 specialized p.1 vs. blkmrkt mob

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=22158

http://www.blackmarketbikes.com/mob.html

I'm gettin ready to purchase a new steel jump frame.

I've got it narrowed down to 2 frames but having a hard time deciding between the two.

One is a much better deal money wise. The other I just want!

Both have similar geo. Similar geo to what I have been riding and liked.

p.1
act. t.t.= 22.3
b.b. = 11.625
c.s. = 15.7875
h.t.a. = 69

mob
act. t.t. = 22
b.b. = 12.25
c.s. = 15.625
h.t.a. = 69

I'm coming off a jackal, that was just way too harsh for me, I've grown up on steel bikes and it's just what I like.

the P.1 I can get a complete for basically the same price as the mob frame only.

The advantage I see on the P is ability to run s.s. and gears properly; where as on the mob it's either/or. (I see this as an advantage if I wanted to do any sort of dual racing)

I will be riding dirt mostly, jumps/berms general goofing off. Little park and street so that's not much of a concern.

opinions?

DThomson

Monkey
Nov 1, 2004
black market For Sure. no question. i tihnk the p bikes ride weird cuz the bb is low. the black market is worth the money you spend, and you wont be disappointed.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Castle,
Holy snot. I was going to start this exact thread.
Those are the same two bikes that I am looking at.
And I am in the same situation.
The P would be way cheaper, and the Mob is just tits.
The geometry is almost identical.
Hopefully, people who have ridden both can chime in here.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
MOB. You'll like it. The P BB is too low and the frame doesn't scream quality like the MOB, plus you'll end up replacing every part on the P 'cause the stock parts suck, and you won't really be able to sell the stock P parts.

Or DOC maybe 'cause you can run gears. It's got a high BB and slack HA but with a 3" fork that's all pretty much fixed.

sessions

Monkey
Nov 9, 2005
Vancouver WA
I used to have a p.1 and rode it for about a year. I liked the p.1 when I had it and the reason why I got it was because of its price. But earlier this year I brought a mob and could not believe how much better the mob ride over the p.1. The first thing I noticed was on the p.1 was the bottom bracket feels really low also the chain stay is way shorter on the mob making it really easy to manual. Overall the mob feels much easier to move around compared to the p.1. Another thing you could look at is the riot frame is the same geo as the mob but is cheaper then the mob. If you are looked for a more reasonable priced frame I would go with the riot. But my vote is for the mob over the p.1 it's worth the money.

sokoloka

Monkey
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego / London
My current main whip is one of the original '05 Mob's and I must say that I couldn't have been more pleased with this frame over the past two years.

It actually wouldn't be that difficult to set up a SS'ed Mob with some gears. I recently was in the same position where I was looking to buy some chaintugs with a derailleur mount for one side so I could build up sort of an all-around play bike, but I chanced upon picking up a DNA recently and instead have been keeping the Mob SS.

Really all you need is a set of chaintugs with a derailleur hanger and some zipties for cable routing - it wouldn't be that hard of a switch!

I love my Mob - if only it had V-mounts...:rant:

May 12, 2005
roanoke va
you know you're not going to be happy/satisfied unless you get the mob. you gotta have the tits, it's just how you roll, expensive tastes.
you sold the jackal complete didn't you?
i would run gears if i were you, you're not hard enough on stuff that they would be a liability, and it's not like you will not have the time to keep them clean and tuned. set it up more like a 4x for the trail at hunters, street/park is such a small part of what you ride i wouldn't be thinking of that for the build.

cjcrashesalot

Monkey
May 15, 2005
WA
I also just came off of a P.2 on to a Riot...huge difference.

The geo differences seem small on paper, but are huge in terms of the actual ride. The Riot/Mob feels much shorter in the rear and easier to get the front end up. Also has a lower stack height due to the internal headset, and a seemingly steeper head angle.. The BB on the P was very low, Riot was a bit of an adjustment, but it allows me to shift my weight around much better for pumping or manualing, etc.

Overall, for 4x racing only I like the P.2 better, but for jumping, park, street, whatever the Riot kills it. It's not like the Riot would be a bad 4x racer at all, just the P had a derailleur hanger, lower BB and slacker head angle.

But I'm quite happy with the switch.

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
anyone else?

I still haven't decided, after seeing the P boxxer put up it doesn't help any either....

on the blk market with the addition of the 22.5" t.t. option it kinda makes me wonder if I did go with the black market whether to get a 22 or 22.5. I'm 5"10 coming off a jackal with a 22.3 theo. t.t.

Do any of you on 22" mobs have problems with x-ups or bar spins? (foot hitting tire?)

I wish more companies would offer actual top tube and theoretical or just one or the other.

cjcrashesalot

Monkey
May 15, 2005
WA
anyone else?

I still haven't decided, after seeing the P boxxer put up it doesn't help any either....

on the blk market with the addition of the 22.5" t.t. option it kinda makes me wonder if I did go with the black market whether to get a 22 or 22.5. I'm 5"10 coming off a jackal with a 22.3 theo. t.t.

Do any of you on 22" mobs have problems with x-ups or bar spins? (foot hitting tire?)

I wish more companies would offer actual top tube and theoretical or just one or the other.
I'm 5'10" as well, on a 22" Riot. Foot/tire clearance is much better than on my P.2, and the bike size feels just right. I have long (175mm) cranks, and still have decent clearance. Extended X-ups are no problem, as are manual barspins, but I have yet to try an actual aired barspin.

There is a large difference between the 21.5" Blk Mrkts and the 22" versions (I've ridden a 21.5" MOB), so I would imagine that the difference between the 22 and 22.5 would be substantial. (The giant Phil Sundbaum rides a 22.5...) What size jackal were you on? I'd imagine a medium...the medium jackal I rode felt similar in TT length to my current 22" Riot. I'd say definitely go for the 22" Blk Mrkt, unless you like fairly large feeling frames.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I'm looking at buying either of these two frames too.......whaddaya know. S and cannondale I have hookups with and the new chase frames with shorter chainstays look pretty dern similar on paper to the pee bikes.

Just something about riding a steel jumper though.

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
Anybody know how much the P1 frame weighs?
I didn't get a frame weight, but I gave specialized a ring and they gave me 36.5 for the complete p.1 weight.

has me wondering now.......

still havne't decided ..

cjcrashesalot

Monkey
May 15, 2005
WA
I didn't get a frame weight, but I gave specialized a ring and they gave me 36.5 for the complete p.1 weight.

has me wondering now.......

still havne't decided ..
That's pretty heavy. My riot built up to 30.5 lbs, FWIW. Also, my 22" frame weighed in at exactly 6lbs

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
That's pretty heavy. My riot built up to 30.5 lbs, FWIW. Also, my 22" frame weighed in at exactly 6lbs
I agree, my jackal was 31 with a 6.5lb frame (I know they have a heavy steel stanchioned zocchi dj fork on there but still)

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
That doesn't sound right. I e-mailed them asking how much the '07 P.1 weighs and Specialized told me 33 pounds. I can't imagine the P.1 would be that heavy.

But i could easily be wrong. And as far as your choice is concerned, MOB, hands down. Or, you could get a Black Market Riot frame (same geometry as MOB, a touch heavier, and made overseas, so it's much cheaper) and a Black Market build kit (bars, stem, seatpost, seat, sprocket, headset) for about the same price if not cheaper than the MOB frame, if you are on a more strict budget.

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
That doesn't sound right. I e-mailed them asking how much the '07 P.1 weighs and Specialized told me 33 pounds. I can't imagine the P.1 would be that heavy.
I agree I think he read off the p.2 weight....

I dunno..