Frame for XC to DS

nexus

Chimp
Feb 7, 2006
Hong Kong
Hiya..
I'm a F7 student From Hong Kong...
Please don't mind my terrible English 8P

My problem is that I want to buy a new frame, becuase my current frame was no longer rigid...

Now, I have around 400USD and I want to buy a frame suitable for both XC and DS... I understand that there is no frame that can do both thing good...but my home don't have any space for 2 bike, and my budget is limited..

I'm looking for a frame which is suitable for XC riding and some dropping (talking about several feet). . . so far, among the bike that I know, Santacruz Chameleon is exactly what I wanted..but this is not sth that I can afford... :nope:

I've also considered about the Giant XTC team and Trek 8500, that are within my budget, but I'm afraid they cannot withstand a lot of jumping.....what do you think? Any suggestions? thanks

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
You really cannot have it both. XC bikes weight typically under 24lbs and DS at least 30.

However, the SC Chamelon is a good compromise, and will hold up to repeated beatings.

If you are going to be aggressive, get a heavier bike. Fewer trips to the hospital that way.

Mudpuppy

Monkey
Oct 20, 2001
Port Orchard/Not WSU
It'll be a tough job getting a bike that will do what you want for the price range you have. You might want to check out Soul Cycles. www.ridesoul.com I can't seem to find their bikes on the site, but they have big bang for the buck. I know some people that have been happy with their bikes.