Quantcast

Frame modification; To drill or not to drill, that is the question

nmn25

Monkey
Jun 12, 2006
portland or co springs
This is my new frame

I would like to drill another shock mount on the main triangle ala bighit (pre 06) or peeler. if i drilled one below the current, it would result in a more progressive suspension correct? would it compromise the structural integrity (looks like plenty of material personally)? Any other things to take into consideration (could it affect bb hieght or ha)?

Let me know what you guys think!

Attachments

nmn25

Monkey
Jun 12, 2006
portland or co springs
no, i want to achieve a more progressive suspension rate so i can run more sag and not have to compensate by maxing out the dhx boost valve. On similar frames (like the bighit and peeler), they have 3 or 4 different mounting holes at that spot for that purpose (to controle progresivity). I just want to make sure that i am right in saying that a mount below the current one will be more progressive and not change anything else or compromise strength. Or, if it does achieve this, but everyone else says its unnecesarry due to todays shock technology, i can skip the work risk of drilling my new frame...

nmn25

Monkey
Jun 12, 2006
portland or co springs
haha, if i could i would. He wont answer his phone and hasnt in the epast 3.5 months for me (despite me paying him and having no frame, parts or someone telling me where they are). I ordered and paid in august, was told it would take 2 weeks, and i stil lhave yet to recieve everything i paid for. also, i ordered an air shock, he sent it with a coil and wont correct it. talking to him (as of now anyways, needless to say, is not an option)

nmn25

Monkey
Jun 12, 2006
portland or co springs
the three holes affect my compression ratio (ie amount of travel) and thus ha and bb hieght. I want to keep my 9 inch travel setting but make it more progressive.

nmn25

Monkey
Jun 12, 2006
portland or co springs
as far as warranty, it may or may not affect it (lets assume it doesnt in this case). also, i know he is having financial trouble and clifcat may not exist much longer (if it still does)

c.o.d51

Monkey
Oct 5, 2005
as far as warranty, it may or may not affect it (lets assume it doesnt in this case). also, i know he is having financial trouble and clifcat may not exist much longer (if it still does)
Well, I do believe Clif Cat still does exist. He just fixed my friend's MX6. It only took him from October until March... And another one of my friends just got her Chump. But yeah, it would seem it is rather hard to get in touch with him...

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
How about this, call Fox. Ask them the best settings for the shock on that bike. Then ride it, and decide from there. I am pretty sure there will be a setting that you will enjoy. Sometimes instead of modifing its better to get used to the bike instead......Just my opinion

nmn25

Monkey
Jun 12, 2006
portland or co springs
I still believe they are too. I also talked to him about 08 frames and what they were gonna b (sound pretty cool). however, the last time i talked to him on the phone (a few months ago despite me calling him consistently since then) he mentioned some deals that got carried away and he lost money on, as well as a mortgage/other finacial trouble (as reasons for not delivering paid parts even 7 months later).

Hes a great guy and has a great product, and offered me a great deal. I really do hope he pulls thru.

alright, back on track. so all warranty stuff aside, is there a hole i can drill that would give me a more progressive rate (and possibly lower the bb and slacken the ha)?

nmn25

Monkey
Jun 12, 2006
portland or co springs
I got the frame 4 months after payment (and about 2 of no contact) and most of the parts. At this point im just waiting on my thmoson, e13 chain ring and floating brake assembly (but it can run w/o one and i wasnt set on using either cause it adds about 1.5 lbs).

To his credit, for the mistakes and delays, he did give me a free add wheelset and set of hope rotors. big props for that

Dec 3, 2004
San Jose, CA
Because it is a single pivot bike, you will not be able to significantly increase the progression. The moment arm from the swingarm to the shock stays almost constant throughout the travel no matter what position the shock is in. In order to build in any noticable progression in a frame, it needs to have some sort of aditional linkage that will reduce the moment arm that the wheel acts on the shock. This makes it more difficult to compress the shock giving it the feel of a "progressive" suspension.

Therefore, don't drill your frame cuz you will just void your warranty and not make any improvements in performance. Of course if you really want to do it, the frame will be plenty strong enough to handle a second hole, just make sure that you drill the hole so that the metal between the 2 holes is at least the diameter of the holes.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
You won't make the bike any harder to bottom out by drilling a new hole, guaranteed. You may make the bike slightly more progressive but you'll be doing it by RAISING the leverage ratio early in the travel rather than lowering it later in the travel. This is an error a few companies have made with rate-adjustment holes (Specialized and Kona spring to mind). Don't do it... not that I would really understand why you would anyway if you haven't ridden the thing yet?

DHJUNKIE

Monkey
Sep 27, 2001
Cromwell, CT
ahhh yes the typical style that bill at clifcat does his business. He is almost impossible to get a hold and if u dont keep going after him like a crazy wolf he might screw you over, but goodluck with the frame.. glad to see he finally put gussets on the headtube so they stay on...