Quantcast

Frame Painter in Baltimore/DC Area

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
As the title says. I would really like to get my Spec. P.1 A1 frame re-painted. I was considering doing it my self but I want to get it done correctly. I was considering powdercoating because I heard it holds up well and looks great too, but I would like to keep some kind of decal. Could any of you recommend me a frame painter and/or a good powdercoater in the Baltimore/DC area. And what would the cost be like?

I have been throwing around some color ideas and I could use so suggestions. I would really like to go with the current trend and do a white with either black or dark green decals. Or just do a Dark Green paint finish with white decals but I dont think that would go good with all the black parts. I have a cool idea but I am not sure how it would turn out. Here is the bike, stay with me.

Notice how the top tube has a hexagonal (not sure if that is right) shape. I think it would be cool to somehow do two stripes on the two top slanted parts to kinda showcase the shapes. Then I would like to put a P.1 and a Specialized somewhere on the bike. What do you think? Think it would be too much for a powdercoater? What color do you think I should go with?

Sorry for the lengthy post. All suggestions are accepted. Thanks in advance.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Yea that guys looks good. Did he just never send you back an email? Do you think he could add decals too? Or at least what I mentioned in the first post.

And what color should I do?

May 24, 2005
Baltimore
You work in a bike shop that sells Specialized bikes....just have someone contact Spesh and ask for a new decal set, or some big decals suitable for a frame. You can have them say it's for a new team or something. Either way that'll be your best bet for decals/stickers.

If you can get the painter to put the decals/stickers on the frame after the powdercoat and before the clear coat that would last the longest. Otherwise on top they could peal/scrape off.

I'd go with white, but they did a white P3 that year that Bearclaw rode. I'd say stick with white, black, or pink. Go with pink only if you have some skills though. ;)

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Haha. Actually I came up with an even better color. Kawasaki (Sp??) green. That would look really cool with black parts and black decals. Wouldnt you say?

Check out this Green Stumpy towards the bottom of the page. http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=151804 That sparked my interest in the green bike even though it would stand out like a mother f***er.

MikeT

Monkey
Feb 17, 2002
Hell
when I was picking out colors for my bike, I found a picture of my frame (or you could take a picture) online - a side view, and just used photoshop(or whatever you have) to try out different color schemes. Took a couple of hours to go through different colors, but I finally picked a scheme and knew exactly what colors I wanted.

-Mike T.

May 24, 2005
Baltimore
Kawasaki green is pretty cool. I like it, though it wouldn't coordinate with any of my riding clothes at all. Heh heh.

Be sure if you get it painted that they don't paint stuff like your BB threads or anything else threaded. It'd be really hard to get the paint out of a BB shell short of redoing the threads I think. But maybe not. Either way a bit of tape would probably work.

MikeT

Monkey
Feb 17, 2002
Hell
it's not that hard, just select the areas you want to be painted and paint them the color you want to try out

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
HotButterToppin said:
Kawasaki green is pretty cool. I like it, though it wouldn't coordinate with any of my riding clothes at all. Heh heh.

Be sure if you get it painted that they don't paint stuff like your BB threads or anything else threaded. It'd be really hard to get the paint out of a BB shell short of redoing the threads I think. But maybe not. Either way a bit of tape would probably work.
Yea well that site Burnettes gave me, it says they take good care of what they do and tape everything.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
I swear I posted this last night before I went to bed but I guess not. Man I must have been tired. Here is my best example of my P.1 in Kawasaki green. When I get some time I am going to try white and dark green to compare. What do you think?

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Yea true. A little later I am going to try a dark green with white decals. I have an invision in my head of a cool paint job but I suck at putting it on computer. I think white would look cool but I dont know if I could get dark green decals. I would have to look into that.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Haha, nice. Go for it and dont forget to post pictures at the end. Get some sweet pink dice valve caps like I did for mine.

MikeT

Monkey
Feb 17, 2002
Hell
my teammate has a stock '05 p3, it comes in white, I would be kinda hesitant about painting it a stock color - maybe as an accent:)

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Yea true, the only thing I didnt like about the paint jobs is that they were kinda weak. I know someone who has it in white and that thing gets dirty. I basically has no clearcoat. I want clearcoat if I get a nice paint job. So I am either thinking dark green with white decals or white with dark green decals if i can get them. I am like the dark green better.

willpowa

Chimp
Sep 6, 2004
Why don't you like the stock latte/khaki paint, anyway?
Also, I find that the best way to turn heads while riding is to crash dramatically. If you do repaint it, I think it'd look cool to rebadge it in some way other than stock. In other words, relocate the logos and maybe double them up or layer....

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Im alright on the camo. Haha. But yea as far as logos I was thinking white logos againt a dark green paint. I want to put a white stripe on the multi-sided top tube and then maybe just keep the same logo on the down tube and put another spec. logo on the chainstay. Then just get the Spec. "S" for the front. I think I am going to leave the P.1 off.