Quantcast

*<Frame Problem>*

Nov 9, 2005
I have to chose between a used 06 dhr or a used 06 morewood izimu. The DHR has the standard dhx, and the izimu comes with a ti sprung cane creek double barrel. Both frames are the same price. I weight 155 pounds, and ride santa barbara trails so the bike has to take rock hits well, be durable, needs to be stable both high and low speeds. Im not too worried about the bike being a race bike but more an every day dh trail bike. I know im asking the same question as 65000 other people but i have two people wanting me to give them a yes or a no on a frame and i need some final imput. Thanks a lot im sorry for the repetiveness.

coma13

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2006
is there any way of telling how used they are? is the dhr drilled? i'd probably go with the morewood if it were me...

Nov 9, 2005
the DHR is not drilled. the Morewood has about 10 lift assisted rides and the dhr is 4 months old. What i know about both frames are that they both seem to rail turns great, but the dhr wont take square edge hits as well. Ive ridden a DHR and thought it was great, and i have no way of riding a morewood becaues i dont know anyone who owns one near where i live.

coma13

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2006
The reason I'd pick the Morewood is for the high single pivot, you'll get more of a rearward axle path that would be nice in SB....

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Get the DHR and drill it.
High single pivots are teh ghey. (IMO)
Who the hell told you a DHR won't take square edged hits? B.S.

Nov 9, 2005
im leaning to the morewood too at this point. DHRracer the morewood is the bigger of the 2 sizes and im 5'11 so im right on the cusp between the two frames so what do you mean fit better. The dhr i rode was a medium and it fit nicely, and all i can go off of for the morewood is by what the internet says.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
morewood seems like it might be better for you, and that cane creek double barrel shock is the shizzzzzle

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
I'd buy the turner. They just ride super nice. I've only ridden a drilled DHR but it felt awesome. And if you already know that you like the feel of the DHR and you can see it in person then I'd choose that.

Nov 9, 2005
thats why i made this thread to see if the rumors about the DHR were true. I also have herd that the DB is an amazing rear shock and would really like to try one. I cant see the dhr i want in person, but i can see a different 06 in person.

Nov 9, 2005
doth bikes have a 65 degree head angle, but the morewood seems to have a lower bb height of 14.1 inches to the DHR's 14.6

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
The DHR is pretty heavy at 12.5 lbs. I was not impressed at all when I rode one for a day at plattekill. It didn't seem to soak up obstacles but rather skipped over them. It may be better as a race bike than a have-fun kind of bike, but for the east coast steepness of pkill I was supremely disappointed. I bet it does corner well, as low pivots tend to (my arrow was awesome), but there aren't many fast corners at plattekill.

I'd buy the morewood if it were for me.

julian_dh

Monkey
Jan 10, 2005
i would say go with the morewood just because, ive rode an orange 223 the past years and it was a super reliable bike.

also if there are any cracks or damage they will be really easy to spot on a morewood.

IronhorseCT

Monkey
Feb 20, 2002
Trumbull,CT
Rode a DHR in 04 and Morewood in 05 and 06. I'll be on a Morewood for 07 if that is any indication. DHR had braking issues(skip) and was way too steep in the HA department. Morewood rides a bit higher(read no cranks dinging) and handles better! Also, you are correct to assume the double barrell is sick, cause it is. I had a revox on mine, but many guys on my team rode the DB and it rules.

Brennan

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Call each company and ask them if they will offer any kind of warranty on a second hand frame (ie: if a 'known' issue come up, will they stand behind the frame). One of those two companies has arguably the best customer service in the biz, and has taken very good care of second hand customers in the past. (not saying the other company won't, or isn't just as good...).

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
Get the DHR and drill it.
High single pivots are teh ghey. (IMO)
Who the hell told you a DHR won't take square edged hits? B.S.
They dont. I am a relatively quick rider and I find the BIGGEST drawback of a DHR is the wheelpath. Otherwise my DHR (drilled) railed corners and felt great in most situations if i picked a good line.

That being said, if the DHR is not drilled, I would definitely suggest the Morewood. Set the geo up how you want and get that DB tuned correctly. I think both are very fast bikes but if geometry is important to you. The morewood is definitely a better choice.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
do you know how to tune a shock CC might be a burden for you i mean days just to tune it right, but i like both frames, however you know how much i love my DHR go Turner for some reason i don't see a problem with them backing you maybe its b/c of their crazy good service

MorewoodKid

Monkey
Sep 14, 2006
In the woods...
then what frame is this season?
We won't go there...

Anyways, don't want to put a bias post out so I won't comment on the performance of the frames. I can personally vouch for the rider that is selling the frame however, and it is indeed used very little, and in great condition.

The DB shock... well I am sure that every person who has ridden one will tell you that all of the hype surrounding them... Totally true!! We ran them on all of our factory bikes this season and as yet I have not seen another shock that can add as much to the performance of a frame, its AWESOME!! Plus, the guys at Cane Creek are just legends!!

Nov 9, 2005
that was a stupid question for me to ask. Im in contact with the person selling the morewood and i think that that is the frame i will go with. Keep the reviews and opinions coming though. Thanks for all the help thus far.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Do the bikes even need to be drilled anymore? I thought that was reolved in the 2005 models by Dave? I had a 2002 DHR, and it was the best rig I have had. I am not smooth and not fast but riding down TUNNEL was no problem on that bike. It was super progressive also, the single pivot bikes I have had tended to be more linear. I ahve never noticed any rear wheel hang up on any bikes that I have had. I ahve heard that some people find the Morewoods a little flexy in back, but if you are light it shouldn't matter at all.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
SEI will be on the new 07 Demos.

I have raced both the DHR and Izumu. Both are great bikes and would be very hard to chose between. Both bikes ride and feel about the same to me. But, being that the Izumu has a DB on it would most likely seal the deal for me.

Good luck.

Next years bikes of choice will be: Demos, Glorys, Izumus, and DHRs. I would put the Sunday in with those but it has been the choice for 4 to 5 years now.

A.P

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
boston
A lot of people here are doing the old "I have a turner, you should get one too" but from someone who has an unbaised opinion who isnt defending their purchase, I say morewood

The shock is way better, the geometry is adjustbale, and the bike is much newer.

coma13

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2006
SEI will be on the new 07 Demos.

I have raced both the DHR and Izumu. Both are great bikes and would be very hard to chose between. Both bikes ride and feel about the same to me. But, being that the Izumu has a DB on it would most likely seal the deal for me.

Good luck.

Next years bikes of choice will be: Demos, Glorys, Izumus, and DHRs. I would put the Sunday in with those but it has been the choice for 4 to 5 years now.
Didn't the sunday first come out in '05?

Eurotrash

Monkey
Mar 2, 2002
the DHR is changeing a lot for 07 and your 06 will probably loose a lot of value because of this. Just something to think about.
I'd go with the morewood simply because I'm dying to try a DB!

stgil888

Monkey
Jun 16, 2004
Malibu, CA
Sounds like you'll get more value from the Morewood. A Ti Spring and a Cane Creek shock (especially in a size commonly found on DH bikes) is a valuable combination. As several previous posters have mentioned, you may stand to save some money by taking advantage of trends in the DH bike market by going with one frame over the other.

dhpunk~

Chimp
Jan 23, 2005
Canada
again a biased view....id say Izumi!

im a solid 6'1, 210 racer/hack....and have enjoyed my small /05 Izumi without a complaint. id love to pickup the new generation but i feel extremely comfortable racing this frame for a few more years!! as for customer service (Richard/Margo)....all i can say is they have treated me like a friend. since ordering back in spring of /05 ive contacted them once for decals during that offseason....i really should call and say HI :brows:

your a light weight...get the light, nimble single pivot!! enjoy:banana:

Sweeney

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Izumus, and DHRs. I would put the Sunday in with those but it has been the choice for 4 to 5 years now.
As have the DHRs and Izumus (In Orange form...), not to mention what's already been stated about how long the Sunday has been out.

I'd personally go for the Morewood. Nicer shock, newer frame, nicer geo, better resale value.