Quantcast

frame pump recommendations

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
What do you all recommend for a frame pump? I've been using my Topeak pump that I got a while back for my mtb - it works, but once you start aproaching 100psi, it gets very hard to pump. Will a better pump be easier... perhaps one designed for higher PSI ratings?

I'd like one with a gauge on it if possible.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
That's one of the two my LBS recommended (the other was a blackburn). Does the foot lever thing actually work/hold up?

G-Cracker

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Tucson, beatch!
This is good to know, as I want to get a frame pump as well. I've been using my small mtb pump, and last time I flatted on the road, I could only get the tube up to about 80psi. Trying to get a bit more air in there, I ended up snapping the valve stem in half.... on my only spare tube. D'oh!

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
jacksonpt said:
Does the foot lever thing actually work/hold up?
Yes.

If you get someone to hold the shaft while you pump, it works very easy and you can generate a lot of pressure.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
Crank Bros has a nice lineup of pumps, dual head and the ability to switch between high pressure or high volume. They also have a lifetime warranty.

ricebowls

Monkey
May 24, 2002
san francisco
PHP:
If you get someone to hold the shaft while you pump

awsome!

Since i never know if anyone is going to hold my shaft I use CO2. But a frame pump is always a good thing to carry as well for backup.

igxqrrl

Chimp
Oct 1, 2005
I agree with the roadmorph. I don't know that the footpeg is all that useful, but having a flexible connector for the valve is a life-saver. Without this, particularly at higher pressures, it's easy to accidentally rip the valve off the tube.

The roadmorph also has a pressure gauge. I won't vouch for its accuracy, but at least you can tell if you're nowhere near full yet.