Quantcast

Frame question about the USB Molly

ride26

Monkey
Nov 24, 2005
Henniker NH
I got a question, I bought a USB Molly ..I started throwing the parts on it today and ran into something odd..I wanted to find another Molly owner to ask if they ran into the same scenario

pHeller

Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
so...what's the question?

there are plenty of Molly owners on the board...no need to ask permission to ask questions. PMing questions just leaves the rest of the world out on something helpful.

ride26

Monkey
Nov 24, 2005
Henniker NH
alright here it is

I got my hub (110mm BMX odyssey 14mm)
as you well know most frames are made wider spacing so once the rear wheel is in and than you tighten down the qr or bolt on whatever applys, the frame flexs a bit to tighten in on the hub..in this case with my USB Molly I had to flex the frame the other way..I had to open the spacing wider just to get the hub to fit in..is this normal with the Molly frames?

pHeller

Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
I've had quite a few steel bikes that were that way. My aluminum ones usually are spaced just right.

Normal for Molly's? No idea. Anything wrong with it? Doubt it.

Axis

Monkey
Jun 9, 2004
alright here it is

I got my hub (110mm BMX odyssey 14mm)
as you well know most frames are made wider spacing so once the rear wheel is in and than you tighten down the qr or bolt on whatever applys, the frame flexs a bit to tighten in on the hub..in this case with my USB Molly I had to flex the frame the other way..I had to open the spacing wider just to get the hub to fit in..is this normal with the Molly frames?
Yes on my gen2 frame this was the case. The gen4 frame had more space. It's OK.

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
yeah, depends on how much you have to stretch it.

It could also be a result of improper packaging for shipment. If you ship a frame without putting any sort of reinforcement/axle or something into the dropouts, you are definitely not someone who I'd want to buy a frame from. They can EASILY get smashed in from shipment, stacking boxes, etc. Whenever I fly with my bike, I put in an axle too, just in case. Keeps things all square... and no, by the way, I don't have this problem on my Molly either, although I have had the problem with other frames in the past.

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
I don't have a lot of experience with used frames but my Molly bought new didn't have the rear do spacing issue. My odyssey rear slid right in.

Satori, I wasn't aware that by not throwing an axle in the rear do's that there is a chance of the stays getting smashed in during shipping. I assumed it being a steel frame all should be well. I would think that during shipping, being thrown in the truck, moved to a receiving warehouse, re-thrown in another shipping truck and eventually getting to you. That if it were damaged enough to bend the stays that the neglagence on the company's part would be blatenly obvious. Like a demolished box. But I don't have any experience in this area.

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
Steel tends to "warp" (if you want to call it that...) when welded. Apply heat, and it will get "pulled" to that direction. It happens to frames on occasion... At my LBS - we usually just ask a fellow mechanic for a "courtesy spread" ;)