Quantcast

Frame reccomendation's from my fellow brethren

WARider

Monkey
May 21, 2003
So I had a Norco A-line frame, loved it but landed a job as a bike shop mech. while I finish out college. So I sold my 2004 Norco A-line to get a Giant DH with a Dorado because my shop hooked me up. The bike is trick but I'm missing my front der. that I could run on my Norco A-line as I could use it to ride trail with as well as full blown DH runs. Well I picked up a VT for the trail and I'm just not stoked on it. It's a great bike but it feels light weight and nimble compared to my Giant DH and I don't feel as stable ripping sh!t on the trail. Ran into a guy on a Kona Stinky pedaling his a$$ off to the top today at Tiger Mtn. and all I can say is I wish I had my DH bike once I reached the top. It was fun on the VT, but not like my Giant DH would of been.
I'm thinking I want to get a frame that I can run a front der. on so I can trail ride my DH setup. I know it's a bitch to pedal a 40lb bike up but I'm not in a hurry to get to the top and coming down would be so much more fun on a big bike.
Who rides their big bikes on the trail when you have to pedal to get to the goods? And what frame and rear shock would you go with? I was thinking a Transition frame made here locally in Seattle with the danger boy rockers giving it an extra inch of travel. I was also considering a Banshee Scream as I'm stoked on a beefy 4 bar Horst linkage design over all the other designs out there. I'll be running a Dorado up front with all my components from my Giant DH Comp. I want a ripping frame that can go up, as well as inspire me when I haul a$$ down because the Giant VT isn't cutting it and my Giant DH can't sport the front der..., not to mention I'm not too impressed with the Swinger 6 way remote res. It's a nice shock, don't get me wrong, but they only make a 550lb spring, and it just feels to supple for me. It soaks up all the bumps, but doesn't offer that stiff spring feel I liked with my pro-pedal Fox Vanilla RC on my Norco A-line frame. Looking for a trick frame fella's, and a good rear shock reccomendation. It also needs to be something that I can run a front derailleur on so I can run a two ring bashguard setup with a truvativ lower chain tensioner.

BTW, if you want a great DH frame "ONLY" that's about a month old it's going on the chopping block, aka EBAY.

L8r
~WARider

Ice Bullit

Monkey
Mar 16, 2003
Seattle, WA
I am loving my Transition Dirtbag. If you live in the Greenlake area give Kyle Young a shout and he will hook you up with a test ride, he is a super nice guy to deal with. If you live closer to the Lynwood area, you can give my ride a shot to see how you like it. Just PM me if you are interested.

WARider

Monkey
May 21, 2003
Now see I had originally planned on going with a Dirtbag but the waiting list they had going back in April I couldn't do. I wanted to get on the trail so I went with my options. I still think that they have some of the best frames around as you can run a front der. and it comes with a romic double d shock, and the fact that their frames are some what lighter than others. I'll shoot them an email to see if they have any frames still available, I've still got to sell mine first but that shouldn't be too hard.

What do you like about your frame, feel free to go into great detail!

Langer

Monkey
Mar 27, 2004
Hiding
I rode Tapeworm the other day and met this gut who was riding a Bullit with a Super T on it. He rode the whole trail and said it did pretty good and that trail is pretty tight and has some short steep hills. I have a giant ac and was thinking of switching all my parts from that bike to a bullit because it looks like it would be a good all around bike. I instead bought a Big hit and kept the AC for long trail rides. My ac rips Preston RR trail up.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
then again, don't buy a bigger bike just for preston! i "rip it up" there on my rigid xc bike, heh

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i have a Bullit and it's a wonderful bike. Happy is currently running one with a six inch single crown and having a blast. Hell if you're spending some bucks why not get a VP free and ride that around for XC. But any route you go, maybe it would be best to test ride a bike before getting one to make sure you're stoked on it. Some bikes shops just won't carry but most of the ones suggested you should be able to hop on and take for a spin at the shops around town.