Quantcast

Frame Rubbing

jallbutt

Chimp
Apr 19, 2002
vancouver
I'm getting some serious rubbing from my shifter cables on my 2001 Santa Cruz Bullit frame. The cables are actually wearing down the aluminum. does anyone have suggestions to remedy this problem. i've tryed clear tape, but it wears through after one ride.

John

Nov 26, 2001
Lincoln Woods
Email or PM BostonBullit. His first bullit had the same problem. He did some rerouting of the cables, not using the factory guides, and it stopped the rubbing and increased shifting performance. He has the details, as well as some pics. Any other bullit owner should be able to help too.

Ranger

Swift, Silent, Deadly!
Aug 16, 2001
Y'all can't see me...
Servus!

I have seen the same problem on numerous bikes - try this...

If you can, get some shrink tube from your local hardware/electrical (found in a rainbow of colors) and apply it to the shift cable. Shrink, have a nice day. This Worls particularly well for steel-braided cables.

If you would rather not take apart your cables and want a temporary solution, apply the aforementioned clear tape around the cable, that way the cable doesn't rub through the tape and the slickness of the tape will slide effortlessly on the frame without causing more damage.

gtbike

Chimp
Nov 3, 2001
I live in Surprise, Arizona
or even the vinyl used for making stickers can work well, it comes in just about any color you want and you can get free scraps at any sign/banner shop. Just patch it on to the frame and go. Replace as necessary but it should last at least a ride or two.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Get some adhesive velcro. You can usually pick it up at sewing stores and sometimes Wal-mart. You'll get two strips in a package. One strip will be the plastic "hooks" and the other strip will be the softer "loops." Cut a piece of the soft strip to whatever size you need and stick it on the frame under the cable. Sure, it doesn't look that great, but it works.