Quantcast

Frame selection?

Discussion in 'Downhill & Freeride' started by Sandwich, Oct 4, 2005.

1. Sandwich

Sandwich Pig my fish!
    Staff Member

Rep/Likes:
    69 / 873
    I know nobody is a fan of threads like this, but I need a little help selecting a new frame. I'd post in the DH forum but there's way too many whiners in there.

I'm looking for a trail/FR/Lift DH bike. I don't mind carrying a little weight around if it's in favor of riding a better bike.

I'm looking at some used rides:

Astrix Havoc, Trek Diesel, Foes 01 Mono, Haro DHR

I love the suspension on the Havoc, but it's the most expensive and heaviest. The haro is fine, but i don't know much about it. The Foes is not really my first pick, but there's a good deal on one. The diesel is a good deal, but I'm not big on SP bikes. Any suggestions? Should I spend the extra bucks on the Astrix even though I don't ride DH specifically?

Any advice would be appreciated.

#1 -   Oct 4, 2005

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Sir_Crackien

Sir_Crackien Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    get the havoc. its the best bike of the bunch.

btw the foes is a sp also

#2 -   Oct 4, 2005
  3. Sandwich

Sandwich Pig my fish!
    Staff Member

Rep/Likes:
    69 / 873
    Do you think a bike that big will be ok on trails?

I love lawill linkages, as I've owned two, but this bike is pretty massive all things considered.

#3 -   Oct 4, 2005
  4. oly

oly skin cooker for the hive

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    The Haro DHR was just a rebadged M1 wasnt it? Any info pertaining to the M! should apply there.

#4 -   Oct 4, 2005
  5. Sandwich

Sandwich Pig my fish!
    Staff Member

Rep/Likes:
    69 / 873
    It had more of an uzzi style semi mono frame, but yeah, linkage was the same.

#5 -   Oct 4, 2005
  6. zmtber

zmtber Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    anything if fine unless there is going to be a lot of uphills

#6 -   Oct 4, 2005
  7. Monkeybidnezz

Monkeybidnezz Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Nothing wrong with having a big bike for the trails, but I would suggest getting something that can run a front derailer...having only a big ring really blows...Foes Fly hint hint hehe..just playing, but seriously it's a great lift/dh/trail bike and I'm not just saying that because I'm selling one. It really has a lot of options with the front derailer and 3 travel adjustments.

#7 -   Oct 5, 2005
  8. spacemanspiff06

Rep/Likes:
    3 / 0
    isn't the foes and the haro a SP too? or are you talking about the lack of linkages in the trek making it flexy? of the four go for the havoc, don't look back. i secound the fly though.

#8 -   Oct 5, 2005
  9. Sandwich

Sandwich Pig my fish!
    Staff Member

Rep/Likes:
    69 / 873
    The foes and the trek are SP, the Haro is an M1 style linkage, in fact it fits in pretty well between the uzzi DH and the M1.

I don't really love the mono, and I'm not big on Foes at all, but there's a complete bike floating around that isn't a bad deal, and I was just wondering if that's a good way to go. It has a curnutt and a Ti spring, which should help to cancel out bad habits.

I've heard good things about the trek, and I like high pivot bikes (PDC dh juan). The trek just doesn't thrill me, as it has a regular fox shock and is no longer in production.

The haro was kind of a, "hey it's on ebay" sort of thing. I don't know much about them besides they were essentially intense bikes with haro stickers, and again, seems like a good deal. I've ridden an M1 and it seemed alright.

The havoc I have no idea on, and it's the heaviest, but I love the lawill style linkage and the guy who owns it is 20 minutes away, so I could have it tomorrow, which is pretty important to me. I'll see if I can grab that. It's more important to me to have a good suspension setup than most other things. Thanks for the input. I don't think it can have a FD, but it can run a 34, which ive been ok with on my previous bike.

#9 -   Oct 5, 2005