Quantcast

Frame selection?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I know nobody is a fan of threads like this, but I need a little help selecting a new frame. I'd post in the DH forum but there's way too many whiners in there.

I'm looking for a trail/FR/Lift DH bike. I don't mind carrying a little weight around if it's in favor of riding a better bike.

I'm looking at some used rides:

Astrix Havoc, Trek Diesel, Foes 01 Mono, Haro DHR

I love the suspension on the Havoc, but it's the most expensive and heaviest. The haro is fine, but i don't know much about it. The Foes is not really my first pick, but there's a good deal on one. The diesel is a good deal, but I'm not big on SP bikes. Any suggestions? Should I spend the extra bucks on the Astrix even though I don't ride DH specifically?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Do you think a bike that big will be ok on trails?

I love lawill linkages, as I've owned two, but this bike is pretty massive all things considered.

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
Nothing wrong with having a big bike for the trails, but I would suggest getting something that can run a front derailer...having only a big ring really blows...Foes Fly hint hint hehe..just playing, but seriously it's a great lift/dh/trail bike and I'm not just saying that because I'm selling one. It really has a lot of options with the front derailer and 3 travel adjustments.

May 12, 2005
roanoke va
Sandwich said:
The diesel is a good deal, but I'm not big on SP bikes. Any suggestions?
isn't the foes and the haro a SP too? or are you talking about the lack of linkages in the trek making it flexy? of the four go for the havoc, don't look back. i secound the fly though.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
The foes and the trek are SP, the Haro is an M1 style linkage, in fact it fits in pretty well between the uzzi DH and the M1.

I don't really love the mono, and I'm not big on Foes at all, but there's a complete bike floating around that isn't a bad deal, and I was just wondering if that's a good way to go. It has a curnutt and a Ti spring, which should help to cancel out bad habits.

I've heard good things about the trek, and I like high pivot bikes (PDC dh juan). The trek just doesn't thrill me, as it has a regular fox shock and is no longer in production.

The haro was kind of a, "hey it's on ebay" sort of thing. I don't know much about them besides they were essentially intense bikes with haro stickers, and again, seems like a good deal. I've ridden an M1 and it seemed alright.

The havoc I have no idea on, and it's the heaviest, but I love the lawill style linkage and the guy who owns it is 20 minutes away, so I could have it tomorrow, which is pretty important to me. I'll see if I can grab that. It's more important to me to have a good suspension setup than most other things. Thanks for the input. I don't think it can have a FD, but it can run a 34, which ive been ok with on my previous bike.