Quantcast

Frame Sizing Help

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
So I'm looking around for a frame for my g/f to ride this season. I'm not too good with frame sizing since I'm 6'4", so every frame I've ever ordered has been the largest possible.

I've found two used Specialized Bighit frames that are in her price range. One is a small '04 and the other is a medium '03 (thanks for the pics Price). She's about 5'10", and will be riding at Northstar and Mammoth this year but will also be climbing a little bit too.

Anyone out there about that height riding either frame? I'm a little worried that the small will have too short of a top tube and will feel cramped climbing. I'm also not sure if the medium would be too big for her or not.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I'm 5' 7" and my friend's 06 medium worked pretty good for me, maybe I'd rather have the small but at 5' 10" I think the medium would be just about right. (in 06) The difference in TT length isn't massive anyway. The medium only has a 25mm longer TT than the small, whereas the large is 28mm longer than the medium. The seat tube lengths are the same on the small and medium too, only the large is bigger. Nearly all the other important measures are the same on all three sizes.

It's kinda like the small and medium are the short and long versions of the same frame and the large is a altogether bigger version.

tomvan72

Monkey
Dec 6, 2005
Asheville
Go with the medium. If she is 5'10" she probably has legs the same length as yours. And that's cool. qwomen generally have shorter torso and longer legs. I am 6'2" and rode the medium for years and still would. That will keep her centered well.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
TheMontashu is about 5'8", and he rides the medium Bighit FSR from 2004. Fits him pretty good.