Quantcast

frame sizing

fishercat

Chimp
Jun 1, 2003
Boston area
just wondering what others experience is with finding the right size frame. due to being female, i have long legs for my height. 5'6" w/32" inseam. my current ride (fisher sugar) has a nice cockpit length (22.9) but is only a 15.5" frame so i basically have about 8" of standover which makes me feel like the bike is too small. i am running a setback post for proper leg positioning over the pedals also due to my long legs. The next size up bike for me had a 23.9" top tube which will be too long unless i run a very short stem (75mm). General consensus is that I'm on the right sized bike. what are other women riding and how do you deal with the top tube vs standover isssue. thanks in advance for any responses.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Originally posted by fishercat
just wondering what others experience is with finding the right size frame. due to being female, i have long legs for my height. 5'6" w/32" inseam. my current ride (fisher sugar) has a nice cockpit length (22.9) but is only a 15.5" frame so i basically have about 8" of standover which makes me feel like the bike is too small. i am running a setback post for proper leg positioning over the pedals also due to my long legs. The next size up bike for me had a 23.9" top tube which will be too long unless i run a very short stem (75mm). General consensus is that I'm on the right sized bike. what are other women riding and how do you deal with the top tube vs standover isssue. thanks in advance for any responses.
What size of sugar are you riding?

I have a sugar 3, size m, and I'm only 5' 5" with a 29" inseam. I was running a shorty stem, like a 50. I loved that bike so much, but it always felt too long.

I just bought a Burner with a shorter tt, only 22.2" with a 90 stem and it feels great.

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
I think this issue all depends on the bike. I ride a medium SC Superlight which has a 22.5" effective top tube length. Standover height is listed as 28.7". I'm 5'7" with about a 30" inseam (I think). So the stand over isn't much, but I know that a small is much to small of a bike for me. Most frames I tend to ride mediums.

Maybe you just need to try and find a medium that has a shorter tob tube?

fishercat

Chimp
Jun 1, 2003
Boston area
Originally posted by Snacks
What size of sugar are you riding?

I have a sugar 3, size m, and I'm only 5' 5" with a 29" inseam. I was running a shorty stem, like a 50. I loved that bike so much, but it always felt too long.

I just bought a Burner with a shorter tt, only 22.2" with a 90 stem and it feels great.
bhvvbh

I think at 5'5 a medium sugar is way too big. fishers have long top tubes, the medium is 23.9"!!
i have friends who are 5'9" who feel too stretched out on the medium.
My sugar is a small. i have a 100mm stem on it which i will probably switch to 90mm as I'm also pretty stretched out.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Where do you live in relation to Boston? Grizgal works at the Cycle Loft in Burlington. I'm sure she could help you out. I happen to be a guy, but ride a med Specialized w/ a 22" tt.

The Trek family of bikes tend not to suit people with short torsoes b/c the tt's are stretched out. But, I wouldn't worry too much about the 8" of clearence. You should always buy a bike based on tt length over st length. Seat tube length can be adjusted with the seat tube and have no effect on handling. Changing tt by switching the stem will affect the handling. My gf is ~5'5" with a shorter inseam and rides a mens small Epic. It fits her very well.