Quantcast

frame suggestions - actually have specs of what I want.

atxobsession

Chimp
Dec 2, 2004
bay area cali
Hello, im a bit rusty with bike info, but been searching around learning as much as I can about current bikes. I have currently have a 00 or something near there Kona Stab, it has BETD links so it has 5,6,7 inches of travel. I have a E13 guide with a 38 ring, chromo bmx style cranks, size I think is a medium, and best of all, Stratos S8 fork, the 01 model. I have a short travel bike, but as you can I need a bit of a update. Some of my components are newer, and I dont ride as hard I once did. Im looking for a bike frame that does it all, so heres what im looking for. Help me figure it out!

Riding style:
Around 6 inches of travel sounds right, Im in northern cali, 90% of the time im riding up, other is northstar and shuttle here and there.
Im 160-165 or so with gear, and bout 5"10.
I really enjoy ladders and drops maxing 5-8ft.
I suck at jumping and don't do them much unless they are on the trail.
Riding style is fairly flowy and don't smash through everything.
sometimes i choose more unique/rough lines.
Everyone F's up sometimes and would like my bike to save here and there/forgiving
I need to ride up, Im thinking try it with a single front ring and if it sucks add a FD and double ring.

Bike style:
I like higher bottom brackets, and medium HT angle
I dislike long top tubes.
I like bikes with a shorter wheel base.
I need to ride uphill, and im pretty lightweight, so id like a lightish bike, but im not a bitch. I don't need to save 14grams and spend 3x as much for a component.

When I get a new bike:
I will be buying a cheaper single crown w/20mm new or used hopefully under $400
Probably a new rear wheel depending on rear of frame
New cranks probs double ring and FD
Im hoping to spend under 1200 for a frame.

What ive been looking at so far is:
not a single pivot
specialized sx trail 09 - pricey and hard to find.
Transition Dirtbag - seems perfect but feels like im buying the same bike again and would like to try something new. 4 bar? pros - full seat post, perfect geo for me. fairly cheap.
Kona stinky 09ish - the newer ones. To slack of HT angle.. ? I see them on Ebay but always weird sizes.

I would like to have a new bike, but im on a budget. I really like sloping top tubes which are the current trend, and just seem like a good idea. I think I gave a good amount of info compared to most people going, what bike should I get, I want to freeride. haha, so hopefully you guys can help me out! thank you very much!

Last edited:

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I saw a guy locally that has a Nomad with a World Cup fork on it. Looked cool. I don't know if i'd ride it like a DH bike though. Wouldn't really trust the frame.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
To me, it seems like the Reign X would fit the bill pretty well except for BB height. They hover around 14 inches with a 160mm fork. Step up to a 66/Totem and the BB comes up a touch.

If you find yourself climbing as much as you say, the Reign X is fairly light and has good climbing geometry. It can handle a lot of abuse and has a lifetime warranty. Based on what you've been riding, you're in for a suprise!

aixelsyd

Chimp
May 16, 2007
The bike you're looking for is a Turner RFX. You can get one brand new for just over what you're looking to spend.

atxobsession

Chimp
Dec 2, 2004
bay area cali
I test rode a sx trail 09... it was pretty awesome. a little slack. I havent ridden a newer bike for so long. Do all newer bikes feel so plush but pedal so awesome! well. in a parking lot. It seems like the Dirtbag is going to be the way to go. I see people saying they got them for $950 or so new. But that was few years ago, anyone know if you can get them for that price from transition still?

Any forks under $400 that are good? 55r? travis 180? im looking on jenson usa.

Spokompton

Monkey
May 15, 2005
Spokane WA
I second the Bullit! Great price for one of the most reliable bikes ever made. Dirtbag is also a good one. Buddy has an 05 or something that just won't die and he shreds on it too.

Giant Reign X1 cost more now than it did before ($1700 instead of $1200) and the lifetime warranty is a joke. It doesn't cover the parts that break the most often.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I second the Bullit! Great price for one of the most reliable bikes ever made. Dirtbag is also a good one. Buddy has an 05 or something that just won't die and he shreds on it too.

Giant Reign X1 cost more now than it did before ($1700 instead of $1200) and the lifetime warranty is a joke. It doesn't cover the parts that break the most often.
Thank you. I rode a Stinky for years (it's the same as a Dirtbag) as well as many other bikes. The Bullit is the sickest bike I have ever owned.

45+ LBS of torture on the trails:

35 LBS of awsomeness for whatever you're doing:

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
Why no single pivots? There are some great frames out there with a single pivot setup. Once you get a handle on the braking characteristics, they are fantastic. For the kind of ridig you were describing, I think a Dirtbag is overkill? What about a Bottlerocket? Sinister Gruitr? Look for a used Sinister Splinter MX or ER. The Reign X is a great bike.

As for the fork, a Pike would likely suit you well.