Quantcast

Frame Teaser Part Deux

Meat Foot

Monkey
Mar 24, 2004
On the asthenosphere
Well it is built. Dean Private Reynolds 853 steel, freshly powder coated. Would like to thank all involved in the process. The final build includes the usual suspects (at least what met the budget):
Dimension Rigid Disc only fork
Cane Creek S-2 Headset
Mavic 317/XT; Motoraptor 2.24 (R) / Mutanoraptor 2.24 (F)
Thompson Stem
Monkey Lite Bar
ODI grips
Avid Mechs. w/Avid Linear pull levers Avid Flak Jackets
WTB Rocket Saddle (Cro-Mo)
Easton EA-50 post
FSA Platinum Pro BB
Truvativ Hussfelt
Shishmano 535??? (545??) SPDs (they work)
Salsa 34 t ring
20t cog
Sram PC-7x (pimp gold)
Gray electrical conduit spacers
Incredibell (so you can here me coming; or when your dropping me)

Weight = 24.7 lbs (shop scale)

Thanks for looking. It will be on its maiden voyage tomorrow at Barbie Camp.

Mike

Meat Foot

Monkey
Mar 24, 2004
On the asthenosphere
Thanks all. Well lets see if I can entertain all the ?s....

Mark - The rigid ride was very nice. Snappy but not to shocking. Just right with all the duff we have on the ground right now.

Thanks for the wheels Greg, they are working fine.

Jeremy-It is built up as a single speed (SS). Primarily for not so killer climbs and for the downhill portions of trails, it is pretty much a coaster. It does however, make very little sound, no mechs. to worry about adjusting, and no suspension to tweek with. I suppose one might say it is old fashion. It is fun, your always in the right gear! It also comes in handy when one needs beer from the store, just grab and go! Hope that helps.

Sir_Crackien-I think some of the porkishness (?) comes from (no offense to all that helped with the build) the hubs, cranks, pedals, fork, and tires. It is well balanced. Just for comparison I ride a geared Dean Scout (ti) and it has some more chi chi goodies on it. It weighs in right around 25-25.5 lbs. So they are very close. The ti one has a black elite fork (not lighter by any stretch of the imagination), lighter tires, cranks, seat, seatpost, grips, headset, hubs, and of course the frame is a wee bit lighter. They seem to ride very different. Maybe it is psychological in nature, but the ti frame seems way more posh. I thought they were going to ride similiarly (feeling a family resemblence if you will).

Thanks for all the positive feedback. I will probably grab this bike to ride more often than not. I have it geared a little high for some of the steep ups here in the valley of Oregon. At least for my level of fitness :rolleyes: It may come in handy in the snow as well. I would like to ride some snow covered trails this winter.

Cheers!

Mike

gschuette

Monkey
Sep 22, 2004
Truck
Meat Foot said:
That's the simpler answer. :thumb:
With looks like that you might be able to pick up some chicks and carry them on the handle bar. I really like that bike but I have a soft spot in my heart for all SS bikes. My heart is now set on a Surly Karate Monkey. 29in wheels, SS, rigid, it is an ugly green color. It takes all the red headed step child elements of mountain bikes and rolls them into one. How can you go wrong?

I keep coming back to drool over your pics though Mike. Very nice looking build. I agree with the other guy though. I believe the shop scale is off b/c my old XC bike was a Marin Indian Fire Trail w/ those wheels, SID, XT disc brakes and full XT drivetrain yet it only weighed 23.5 lbs. I weighed it on 5 scales and averaged it. I don't want to know what my DH bike weighs. I think my new VT is about 31 but I don't know for sure. Will get back to you on the weight of it. Enough rambling from me. Nice bike though mike. :thumb:

Meat Foot

Monkey
Mar 24, 2004
On the asthenosphere
gschuette said:
With looks like that you might be able to pick up some chicks and carry them on the handle bar.
Good idea, but the wife might frown. :nope:

My heart is now set on a Surly Karate Monkey. 29in wheels, SS, rigid, it is an ugly green color. It takes all the red headed step child elements of mountain bikes and rolls them into one. How can you go wrong?
They also have the KM in brown now. I think that is the most versetile bike out there that is not custom. Good choice, regarded very well. :thumb:
Will check with other scales, take stickers off and the like. Thanks for the kind words.

Mike

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
rockracing said:
I want a singlespeed bad !! but maybe after I actually ride one I might think otherwise ;)

just love the low maintanence of them.
I've never seen anyone have second thoughts after riding one. :D

Sweet bike Meat Foot.

Meat Foot

Monkey
Mar 24, 2004
On the asthenosphere
Funky Monk said:
a custom drawn ti frame would be nice, like an IF or similar... :drool:
Check with Soul Craft too. Dunno if they do Ti, but their steel rides are excellent. MTBR has reviews on them, 5 out of 5 across the board. My buddy has a Sofa King (steel) custom 29'er with an ebb and a hanger (so it could do gears too), he loves it as a SS. So many friggin options.... :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Mike