Quantcast

frame to bearing spacer

S.G.D

Monkey
Jun 14, 2002
Vancouver
i've lost one of the tiny spacers that goes between the pivot bearing and the frame on my 224. it sits on the bearing through axle.

its about 2-3mm wide, with an ID of about 15mm.

can anyone suggest any ideas on where to find metal spacers in similar dimensions? if you happen to be in the Vancouver area all the better.

thanks!

P.T.W

Monkey
May 6, 2007
christchurch nz
If you cant source a OEM one locally i would just remove the matching spacer from the other side an talk a wander down to you local small machine shop an ask them to make you one. Its the kind of job the apprentice could slap up in about 10min hence wouldn't cost much at all. In fact I would probably get one or two spares made depending on price.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
If you cant source a OEM one locally i would just remove the matching spacer from the other side an talk a wander down to you local small machine shop an ask them to make you one. Its the kind of job the apprentice could slap up in about 10min hence wouldn't cost much at all. In fact I would probably get one or two spares made depending on price.

I hate it when peopel have this assumption about machine shops.
It takes longer than 10min. Even if it did, there is other stuff to do that makes money. A job really needs to be $100 just to cover overhead.
Maybe if you find an old fart with a lathe in his garage, but a real shop? No.

Check Mcmaster. They have spacers. You might get lucky.
You might also just call Orange.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
. . . or try McGuire, Brown, Kaman or (insert local vendor) Bearing house. They should have a selection of metric thrust washers - - maybe even your choice of steel or sintered bronze - - that'll work. Just be aware that most metric thrust washers come in even-number ID sizes, so your measuring should be a bit more accurate than "about 15mm."

S.G.D

Monkey
Jun 14, 2002
Vancouver
i will try the bearing places first.

if i had a set of calipers i would have measured the remaining one more accurately however, i'm sure they will have a set at which ever shop i go to.

orange said they will send some out to me, but it might take a while considering our pretty vast difference in location :P i'm trying to make it for the weekend.

thanks for all the help!

P.T.W

Monkey
May 6, 2007
christchurch nz
I hate it when peopel have this assumption about machine shops.
It takes longer than 10min. Even if it did, there is other stuff to do that makes money. A job really needs to be $100 just to cover overhead.
Maybe if you find an old fart with a lathe in his garage, but a real shop? No.

Check Mcmaster. They have spacers. You might get lucky.
You might also just call Orange.
Dude I hate it when people make assumptions about other people...I have personally worked in several "machine shops" and even though I'm no qualified machinist (I'm a Weldor/Fabricator), I'm pretty sure even I could whip up a "spacer" in 15min or so. Oh an if the OP picks a smaller jobbing shop(as they're called here in NZ), I'm sure they would be able to make 1 or 3 for him... Yes they might cost more than $20 but a job that you get "the boy" to do doesnt have to be worth $100 if it only takes up a small amount of lathe time but at the same time, yes you are right about larger operations, they will probably send him packing.
If in doubt pick up the phone:thumb:

S.G.D

Monkey
Jun 14, 2002
Vancouver
There you go. Send it to NZ.
Sounds like they have cheap machine time to fill.
dude, attitude not necessary. they are just trying to help. you've said you piece. so unless you have something else helpful to add why don't you go spend your time elsewhere.

P.T.W.

I'll keep what you said in mind. If i'm desperate i wil try getting in touch with some small shops and see what they can do for me.