Quantcast

frame type suggestion

bIk3rdud3

Chimp
Oct 2, 2005
I have been riding bmx for years but haven't rode in the last couple of years. I recently decided to get into the mountain biking scene. Only thing is that I plan to do it all. I need a bike that can handle freeriding, xc, downhill, the trails, and be able to ride to the gas station when I get antsy. What kind of frame would be good for an all around setup. I like the feel of a hardtail, mostly because I am used to a bmx frame, but I do plan to do some drops and something about a straight drop and hard tail doesn't seem to mix, but I really don't know. Is a full suspension bike needed to pick up the slack or will a hardtail sufice if I am smooth enough. Riding bmx does tend to smooth out your riding, so being smooth shouldn't be a problem. I just don't want to break a hard tail. But I don't really like the feel of riding a full suspension. Just doesn't feel responsive. I could adjust if needed. I just want some opinions. Sorry for the long post, I just don't won't to regret my decision. Thanks in advance.

proanti1

Chimp
Sep 24, 2005
haha, im making that same transition, bmx isnt fun when you can to sh*t!. i just got a 243 hardtail and iv already taken it off like 4 or 5 foot cement drops (loading docks), frame isnt busted yet. just make sure your tires are pumped up good and most of your weight gets absorbed in your front forks.

bIk3rdud3

Chimp
Oct 2, 2005
Thats what i like to hear. I figure that if I get to larger drops than that in the future then they will be on trails and dirt is usually a little more forgiving than pavement. That and it seems that most large drops actually end with a downhill landing pad. Rear suspension is cool and all, I just don't feel like I am in control as good as riding a hardtail.

bIk3rdud3

Chimp
Oct 2, 2005
I actually liked bmx too(still have my race bike). It is just that it seem that all the big stunts are near impossible on a 20inch non-suspension bike. So I figure that I would have both bikes because the fixed gear bmxer just isn't good for any trail riding and I was hoping to get something to do that with so my feonce could tag along.

proanti1

Chimp
Sep 24, 2005
yeh, i was somewhat good too, i still have my dk an am planning on going to the skate park this week to brush up on my skills, i just hate not being able to do huge drops and trails. almost all my freinds got together and rode trails, and i got left behind because of my bmx.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Also keep in mind it is rider not the bike. If you feel good on a hardtail and you aren't planning on competing on the DH circuit, go with your instinct...

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
the jamis xlt might be a perfect mach for you or something else int that category

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
MunkeeHucker said:
How about checking out a Surly Instigator....
:stupid: It's a great all-around frame. My husband also has his Kona Cowan built up rather burly and it definitely takes the abuse and isn't too heavy for XC (he actually single-speeds it on our XC trails that don't have a ton of climbing).

bIk3rdud3

Chimp
Oct 2, 2005
I have a friend who has a 14" kona fire mountain frame he said I could have for 50 bucks. Is that good frame? I know the size sounds small, but in my test riding, I like the small frames better(13-15inch). I guess that is because of my bmx history. But is that a good frame, worth 50 bucks? It is made of aluminum too. It is kinda of a purplish, blue color.

bIk3rdud3

Chimp
Oct 2, 2005
So, any advice on the kona fire mountain frame anyone? Is it worth the money? Strong enough to take a beating? Thanks.

bIk3rdud3

Chimp
Oct 2, 2005
cool thanks for letting me know. I need something to handle abuse. Do I want something in aluminum, chromoly, or what?

bIk3rdud3

Chimp
Oct 2, 2005
Cool, thanks for the tips everyone.

Todbanner, thanks for the link. That frame seems to be exactly what I need from what I am being told and it isn't god awfully expensive like a lot of others.

todbanner

Chimp
Mar 7, 2005
bIk3rdud3 said:
Cool, thanks for the tips everyone.

Todbanner, thanks for the link. That frame seems to be exactly what I need from what I am being told and it isn't god awfully expensive like a lot of others.
:thumb:

send lewis@zedsport.com an email with any questions... of you can just buy online right off the site.

BigStonz

Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
Swain!! NY
I find a hardtail too harsh for downhill at my advanced age (38). I had an Azonic DS-1 hardtail as a do it all bike, then I picked up an Azonic Propulsion frame this summer (short travel, strong frame). Now the ds-1 sits on the trainer. Even with only 3.5 " travel in the back, it takes the edge off small bumps and jumps.... and the rear wheel stays on the ground providing better traction for up and downhill. I'd hate to see you spend good $ on the hardtail and want to move to DS soon after.