Quantcast

France Monkeys?

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
I'm headed to a conference in Paris from the 16th-20/21st.

Going to L'Alpe d'Huez for to see TdF stage 19. Staying up there on the night of the 21st and 22nd. Expect it will be a total zoo, but I am excited to see the race in person.

Then I have to figure out what to do for the 23-26th (fly out on the 27th). Might have to hit up Grenoble for a meeting on the 23rd, though it's looking unlikely at this point. Not much time, I know, but any suggestions for things to do or places to go/stay would be awesome.

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
Will do. Hotel/chalet at l'alpe is now trying to cancel my confirmed and paid for reservation/telling me that the room is no longer available (their error) and the only option is to get one that cost twice as much. Not cool, but not sure if there's really much I can do about it.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Will do. Hotel/chalet at l'alpe is now trying to cancel my confirmed and paid for reservation/telling me that the room is no longer available (their error) and the only option is to get one that cost twice as much. Not cool, but not sure if there's really much I can do about it.
tell them that because its their error, they should put you in that room for the price of the room you paid for. if they refuse, offer 15-25% of the difference.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
tell them that because its their error, they should put you in that room for the price of the room you paid for. if they refuse, offer 15-25% of the difference.
How good's your French? Typically, laws in France are very good at protecting consumers, and the French respond well to threats. I would threaten to call the hotel licensing body, the office du tourisme, and any other official body that oversees and licenses hotels to complain if they don't give you a room at the agreed price, no matter which room it is. You have to be able to back it up though, which is why I'm asking about the state of your spoken French.

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
How good's your French? Typically, laws in France are very good at protecting consumers, and the French respond well to threats. I would threaten to call the hotel licensing body, the office du tourisme, and any other official body that oversees and licenses hotels to complain if they don't give you a room at the agreed price, no matter which room it is. You have to be able to back it up though, which is why I'm asking about the state of your spoken French.
I like your thinking, but I have a spoken French vocabulary of perhaps twelve words, none of which seem particularly useful. Would it be impossible to speak to someone fluent in English in official licensing bodies?

Looks like French law would be on my side too, if only I was able to wield it.