Quantcast

france....

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
how about you explain how Islam now is any different than Christianity was 600 years ago? Christianity is 600 years older than Islam. That would put their timeline about when the 13/14th century Crusades were occuring.
I’ve been catching up on the PAWN and saw this, so if I missed something previous in the thread forgive me.

First and foremost I know I’ve had a reputation in the PAWN as a bit of a Christian apologist, so it could look like I’m “picking” on Islam, but if say the Catholic church were openly advocating such things I’d be commenting on that just as aggressively.

Islam is an idea, it’s not people and as an idea, in cultures that value freedom of expression it’s up for examination and criticism.

To me the main difference between the other abramic religions is that Christianity and Judaism for the most part have assimilated modern liberal ideas post enlightenment (notice I said for the most part). Islam not so much.

Even if “moderate” Muslims don’t agree with the attacks in France/Belgium, the Pew survey shows a very big chunk of Muslims hold some barbaric views on things like how to deal with adultery, leaving the muslim faith. The recent attacks in “moderate” Bangledesh of anti-Islam bloggers is some evidence. While “moderate” Muslims may not be as fanatical as ISIS or AQ, or jihadist, they do hold some pretty fucked up barbaric ideas about women, people who leave the faith, LGBT folks, etc.

http://www.pewforum.org/2013/04/30/the-worlds-muslims-religion-politics-society-beliefs-about-sharia/

Then there’s the topic of FGM, which is almost exclusively practiced in majority Islamic nations/communities, even the “moderate” south Asia countries like Indonesia have upwards of a 90% FGM rate.

Calling out a religions barbaric practices (regardless of the religion) and advocating assimilation to modern liberal values of human rights does not make someone a racist of a bigot as it typically bandied about in these kinds of topics. If we’re going to champion modern human rights this bullshit of all cultures are equal has got to stop, they aren’t……..some are cool and some are super fucked up…….

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
FGM is a pre-islamic practice, generally considered cultural rather than religious.

Not to say some Muslims haven't assumed it to be Islamic in origin, or justified it under their religious bullshit.