Quantcast

france....

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
dropping only 20 bombs is really just half assing it and it was really all for show
Ronald Reagan, zero bombs dropped. France did airstrikes then too. But, but, but...Benghazi! :

the death toll was 241 American servicemen: 220 Marines, 18 sailors, and three soldiers, making this incident the deadliest single-day death toll for the United States Marine Corps since World War II's Battle of Iwo Jima, the deadliest single-day death toll for the United States military since the first day of the Vietnam War's Tet Offensive, and the deadliest single attack on Americans overseas since World War II.[5] Another 128 Americans were wounded in the blast. Thirteen later died of their injuries, and they are numbered among the total number who died.[6] An elderly Lebanese man, a custodian/vendor who was known to work and sleep in his concession stand next to the building, was also killed in the first blast.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1983_Beirut_barracks_bombing#American_and_French_response

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Ronald Reagan, zero bombs dropped. France did airstrikes then too. But, but, but...Benghazi! :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1983_Beirut_barracks_bombing#American_and_French_response
you should read the whole section you linked to
Eventually, it became evident that the U.S. would launch no serious and immediate retaliatory attack for the Beirut Marine barracks bombing beyond naval barrages and air strikes used to interdict continuous harassing fire from Druze and Syrian missile and artillery sites
It wasn't until December 14 that the New Jersey finally joined the fray and fired 11 projectiles from her 16-inch guns at hostile targets near Beirut. "This was the first time 16-inch shells were fired for effect anywhere in the world since the New Jersey ended her time on the gunline in Vietnam in 1969."[91] Also in December 1983, U.S. aircraft from the USS John F. Kennedy and USS Independence battle groups attacked Syrian targets in Lebanon, but this was ostensibly in response to Syrian missile attacks on American warplanes.
and why there wasnt an full retaliation (who know who attacked Paris)
Secretary of Defense Weinberger, in a September 2001 FRONTLINE interview, reaffirmed that rift in White House counsel when he claimed that the U.S. still lacks "'actual knowledge of who did the bombing' of the Marine barracks."

Last edited:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Clearly states no retaliatory response in your quote (defensive barrages and air strikes only-"naval barrages and air strikes used to interdict continuous harassing fire from Druze and Syrian missile and artillery sites") and earlier it clearly states: "A joint American-French air assault on the camp where the bombing was planned was also approved by Reagan and Mitterrand. U.S. Defense Secretary Weinberger lobbied successfully against the mission, because at the time it was not certain that Iran was behind the attack"

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
religion did.

Actually it is a long complicated history. Much of it driven by what the British did when fighting the Ottomans during WWI, reality show levels or lying, backstabbing and scheming that left the region ripe for conflict. Throw in a few cups of old school colonialism with some Cold War turf wars and you get the clusterfuck we now have on our hands.

Religion, Western Hubris, Eastern hubris, humans generally being vile.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Actually I can't help but thank all the Western states to sell boatloads of weapons to the Middle East and schooling them how to use them.
Did you really think they were your friends?Was it really worth the oil?

You should have left them in the stone age.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Actually I can't help but thank all the Western states to sell boatloads of weapons to the Middle East and schooling them how to use them.
Did you really think they were your friends?Was it really worth the oil?

You should have left them in the stone age.
If you look at all the cultural heritage Isis is hell bent on eradicating it becomes clear that this region made it out of the stone age a lot earlier than enlightened Europe. I do get your point about western opportunism, particularly conflict averse Germany has been happily equipping the militaries of several questionable middle east governments with state of the art weapons. And these regimes are doing eff all about Isis since eradicating the Shias is something they are not exactly opposed to.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
If you look at all the cultural heritage Isis is hell bent on eradicating it becomes clear that this region made it out of the stone age a lot earlier than enlightened Europe.
You are right on that point. I didn't reflect on that really.
But this got me to another question:
When and what went wrong in their evolution that we came to this point?

Was that all caused by the crusades?
What happened in that region, that there are so much extremistic movements in the middle east?
Is it poverty combined with religion?

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
You are right on that point. I didn't reflect on that really.

What happened in that region, that there are so much extremistic movements in the middle east?
Pretty much what Westy stated above, plus sectarianism within Islam. It's important to keep in mind that the extremely radical interpretations of Islam that are used to justify this insanity are fairly recent phenomena that were only able to flourish because of the backwardness of this region.

Just look at the cultural and scientific output of Islamic countries during the middle ages and then compare it to the cultural and scientific contributions that come from the Arab world today. There are some good talks by Lawrence Wright (The Looming Tower) on youtube where he addresses this issue, and the numbers are shocking. Since Sayyid Qutb is a central figure in The Looming Tower, "The Power of Nightmares", where he also takes center stage, might be a good companion piece. Be aware that it's made by Adam Curtis, who never let's objectivity get in the way of making an interesting point.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Heard that on NPR earlier.
"Expert" (I have no idea who he was) said something to effect that the Douche (French for Daesh) were outraged that Muslims wanted to leave the caliphate so they could smoke cigs, drink booze and bang infidel women.

Also want to ramp up frothers, amplify anti Muslim sentiment to keep recruit supply inventory.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
A soccer game was canceled this evening in Hannover. 1,5 hours before the beginning of the game the security pulled the plug.
Seems like there were found indications for a planned bombing in the stadium...

dtm1

Monkey
Apr 11, 2015
Actually it is a long complicated history. Much of it driven by what the British did when fighting the Ottomans during WWI, reality show levels or lying, backstabbing and scheming that left the region ripe for conflict. Throw in a few cups of old school colonialism with some Cold War turf wars and you get the clusterfuck we now have on our hands.

Religion, Western Hubris, Eastern hubris, humans generally being vile.
Definitely. Nothing but peace in this region until WWI.

dtm1

Monkey
Apr 11, 2015
So, if the past predicts the present, who's next? Who is welcoming-no practically bribing- Syrians in while the countries who know better, Hungary, Turkey, Austria, are literally putting them on trains to said country? Germany. Unfortunately the US unless they do an about face is creating the same problem with Kerry's goal to harbor 250k of them. Pay attention to what happens next.
Another episode of What Did I Say, Part Zwei

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Definitely. Nothing but peace in this region until WWI.
Que?
Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.

"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
were outraged that Muslims wanted to leave the caliphate so they could smoke cigs, drink booze and bang infidel women.
perhaps if every isis man experienced sema once in their life the world would be a better place.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
According to Deadspin, Russia just took the gloves off and brought out the bombers. Game. F*ing. On.

To quote one of the posters over there:
I bet ISIS people feel like the Japanese naval admiral after bombing Pearl Harbor - “I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve.”