Quantcast

Frankenbrakes and brake improvement discussion

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
@atrokz: a month ain't gonna do it. They all work great at first. If you notice when you leave your bike unridden for a few days that your pads seem a little squeaky and you need to burn them in for them to grab again.......that's when you'll know it's starting.
they are already a few years old....

Left bike for a week, was slightly more pull but was fine when moving. Maybe I'm lucking out, or the outliers are more vocal.

I'll keep those aluminum pistons in mind if they start to develop a leak.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I haven't replaced pistons on a caliper since a pair of hayes mags in probably 2003-ish.

But yeah, drain it, split it, and I think there's a hole in the middle you can pull them out using an easy out/extractor bit.

Maybe someone else has done shimanos with some better info but that's what I'm planning on. You also might want to pump them out before draining the fluid and just grab the sides of the piston once you get the caliper split. But it's just a cylinder and a seal. Be really careful installing the new seal and do it 'wet'.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Anybody running Magura calipers have a solution for the leaky Banjos? Thinking it's about time to ditch the MT5 calipers unless I can get them to stop weeping from the banjo.
1) Are you sure you didn't loose the banjo seal?
2) If not, have you tried replacing the banjo seal?

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
@maxyedor where does it weep from exactly?
Right at the junction of the caliper and banjo. I think the little sealing washers are the problem, but don't want to spend more on a replacement hose than I spent on the brakes just to try a new banjo. Seems to be a common problem, Magura doesn't seem to know what to do, hoping somebody has a solution.

They never suck air, just weep fluid, every 2 months or so the brakes pull to the bar due to lack of fluid.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I know when I did a porsche caliper swap on my old audi, the copper washers were reusable if you hit them with a blowtorch briefly (it got rid of creases in the copper). Are those washers copper on yours? Can you just buy a pair of new washers? Even off of mcmaster, you should be able to grab a new crush washer.

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
Just replace the o-rings in the banjo. Make sure the new ones are compatible with mineral oil. Or replace the whole banjo for the one with the copper washers instead of o-rings.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I know when I did a porsche caliper swap on my old audi, the copper washers were reusable if you hit them with a blowtorch briefly (it got rid of creases in the copper). Are those washers copper on yours? Can you just buy a pair of new washers? Even off of mcmaster, you should be able to grab a new crush washer.
If there's one place to save 30c in copper washers its definitely the sealing interface on your brakes.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
I'll pull it apart and check, but I'm pretty sure the fitting has washers only, no o-rings. I think the washers are Al, or they're plated because they're not copper colored, I'll swap some fresh ones on and see what happens. For some reason I remember somebody on here battling this issue and it being a really weird fix, not the obvious "replace the sealing bit" fix

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I'll pull it apart and check, but I'm pretty sure the fitting has washers only, no o-rings. I think the washers are Al, or they're plated because they're not copper colored, I'll swap some fresh ones on and see what happens. For some reason I remember somebody on here battling this issue and it being a really weird fix, not the obvious "replace the sealing bit" fix
My MT5s use the o-rings at the banjo bolt.

Last edited:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
My solution for leaking banjos (mine always leaked from the hose crimp) - buy almost new Magura calipers with the original house from frustrated OEM owners, $30 bucks a piece at eBay or PB. The only other solution is the Magura hose that is $60 online iirc.
Aftermarket kits don't work with MT brakes.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
Guys, I may be an idiot.

Totally forgot that when I got the brakes the front line was way too short, so I swapped it with a spare line off a Louise FR, that's where the sealing washers came into play. Think I need to just use @StiHacka plan and buy another whole brake to rob the line from.

I'm guessing they quit machining the port to as fine a finish and used o-rings to make it work, where at the old calipers had a perfectly flat spot for the sealing washers to seal against.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Not the caliper that crapped out on vacation, but the 785 lever, seal blew and fluid in and around the lever. Fanatik Bike Co got me hooked up with a 7000 SLX, but no one had I spec II adapter to mate my 8000 shifter to it (I have them at home) so jerry rigged, but working. This, after buying those extra SLX calipers...naturally, right?

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
So far so good on these if anyone cares. I've been riding these pretty much every day. They've gotten firmer which I think is the unavoidable bubbles that get introduced when removing the syringe from the caliper. Pretty sure they've gotten up to the lever where they should be. With the xt levers they have morphed into the punchy shimano engagement which I was after. And no friggin brake fluid on my pads.

Not sure they're light years better than the stock cura setup but I like the tight lever throw of the shimanos better.
Dh bike is next. For 140 bucks a brake, pretty happy with the curas in general. Just a bitch to bleed cleanly.
Which pin and olive things did you end up using, the Shimano's or the Formula's?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Which pin and olive things did you end up using, the Shimano's or the Formula's?
Either works. On my trail bike that I did the mix first on, I did one one formula olive and one shimano :D

They're both still holding. The formula olives look just like sram ones, and probably are. You do have to use the cura hoses though because the caliper end has a quick connect fitting that needs to be crimped on there to connect to it.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Yeah on olives/barbs, I've mixed Shimano, Avid, Magura, Formula - no problems here either. If you wanted to be really picky you'd use the same brand as the lever for the lever end.

My next brake is a Hope 225mm rotor for the front of the DH bike:

If anyone is interested in rotor weights:

221g: Hope 225mm
192g: Shimano 203mm standard
168g: Shimano 203mm ice-tech
159g: Formula 203mm standard
143g: Formula 203mm alloy carrier (2015)

If you read between the lines and do a few calculations, you can find out that running a lightweight / better optimised brake with a larger rotor can net equal or greater braking force with less lever throw (and more consistent throw) than some of the more common "powerful" options. You can also potentially end up with a lighter brake for a given amount of power.

The other bonus to this solution is that you get much better heat management, which means less fade, and less deterioration of pad bite with use - which is a big issue over a lift season in my experience.

Anyway, just sharing something I'm trying this summer.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
OK, I am finally over the Shimano XT brakes. I did a race this weekend (enduro, but don't tell kidwoo) and that XT, which I have on the rear, is just too weak and robs confidence. I gave it a good bleed the night before and it still just doesn't have the power as my old 2009 Formula The One which I have on the front. I found a Jagwire tubing kit for another old 2009 The One which I will use for the rear brake as I am going to pull the XT and regulate it to DJ bike duty. The darn thing is leaking in the MC somewhere as I now see fluid build up. Ugh.

Has anyone used the Jagwire tubing kit with older brakes? Any tips I need to know before I route this thing through the frame?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yeah on olives/barbs, I've mixed Shimano, Avid, Magura, Formula - no problems here either. If you wanted to be really picky you'd use the same brand as the lever for the lever end.

My next brake is a Hope 225mm rotor for the front of the DH bike:

If anyone is interested in rotor weights:

221g: Hope 225mm
192g: Shimano 203mm standard
168g: Shimano 203mm ice-tech
159g: Formula 203mm standard
143g: Formula 203mm alloy carrier (2015)

If you read between the lines and do a few calculations, you can find out that running a lightweight / better optimised brake with a larger rotor can net equal or greater braking force with less lever throw (and more consistent throw) than some of the more common "powerful" options. You can also potentially end up with a lighter brake for a given amount of power.

The other bonus to this solution is that you get much better heat management, which means less fade, and less deterioration of pad bite with use - which is a big issue over a lift season in my experience.

Anyway, just sharing something I'm trying this summer.
You get better heat management with lighter rotors? I've noticed the exact opposite, I have some real lightweight rotors on one of my bikes that are quickly overcome by steep long descents. Good brakes otherwise, but less metal=less heat dissipation.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
I've also noticed less bite on light rotors. I wish somebody published actual tests to put real numbers on this sort of thing. Does a 225mm rotor make up for it's lack of heat dissipation by being big, would a smaller hole-less rotor that weighed the same perform better or worse? It would be nice to have something other than seat of the pants feel to go off of.

Todays brake-fuckery thought of the day. What are the odds of the seals in these new Hope road calipers being the same as all their other brakes? http://www.hopetech.com/product/rx4-caliper/

Unless I'm missing something, since they work with Sram and Shimano, that means they work with DOT and Mineral oil, so assuming you didn't get any fluid cross contamination, that means Hopes are now mix and match friendly with everything, right?

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
You get better heat management with lighter rotors? I've noticed the exact opposite, I have some real lightweight rotors on one of my bikes that are quickly overcome by steep long descents. Good brakes otherwise, but less metal=less heat dissipation.
I think he says the opposite: using a larger and therefore heavier rotor with better leverage and use a lighter weight brake caliper is the way to go. So e.g. Formula R1 with 225 mm rotor is moar better than TheOne with 180 mm rotor.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Thanks for the olive info @kidwoo and @Udi .

That's exaclty what I was plannung for, running the Cura on 200/180 disc combo instead of the 180/160 with the XT's right now. Sometimes it pays off to be on the lower side of the weight spectrum.

Btw, found some reliable info on Cura sizing, 24 mm slave piston diameter same like T1. But the source, an official Formula rep, says that R0 oval has 25.8 mm. My guess is that's the largest part of the oval piston. Where did you take the numbers from in your sheet @Udi ?
In the same thread a Trickstuff rep confirms your 9 mm master piston diameter for the Direttissima.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I've also noticed less bite on light rotors. I wish somebody published actual tests to put real numbers on this sort of thing. Does a 225mm rotor make up for it's lack of heat dissipation by being big, would a smaller hole-less rotor that weighed the same perform better or worse? It would be nice to have something other than seat of the pants feel to go off of.

Todays brake-fuckery thought of the day. What are the odds of the seals in these new Hope road calipers being the same as all their other brakes? http://www.hopetech.com/product/rx4-caliper/

Unless I'm missing something, since they work with Sram and Shimano, that means they work with DOT and Mineral oil, so assuming you didn't get any fluid cross contamination, that means Hopes are now mix and match friendly with everything, right?
They just mean that they have Shimano and Sram compatible versions. They're not the same caliper, and have different part numbers.