Quantcast

Frankenbrakes and brake improvement discussion

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Now imagine brakes that would not need rotors, but that would perhaps engage against the rims directly? Great leverage ratio - increasing with wheel size, no additional weight, lots of surface for heat dissipation... :think:

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Big surface that easily gets easily dirty and wet, a nice load bearing surface you happily reduce in its thickness, a surface that has heat sensitive materials attached to it (ask a roadie), a surface in a perfect shape for pressing a friction pad against it.

Find the mistakes. :D

Ad rotors: received some answers, no bad experiences regarding glazing so far, but no proof of it not happening. The Shimano rotors used for temperature comparison are the non IceTech spider ones. He has no plans on comparing them to IceTech. That's it.

I agree with Udi, an expensive "upgrade" not making any sense, imho.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Formula used to have an online store, just as little as a month ago. It used to have on it a service/parts kit for specific brakes model. I can't find these anymore. Does anyone know how to find those anymore? I think they used to be called a "red box", but maybe I'm making that up.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
It seems like they are rebuilding their distribution network. They used to run a special company in Germany doing the distro and service work. This company has been shut down and a big distributor has taken over the work for Germany and Austria. Maybe the same is happening over at your shore. Did you try to contact any dealer running Formula products and asking him?

They are not an intense business, allegedly.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I haven't seen much discussion about brake bleeding technique. came across this today and thought 'that was interesting'...

thoughts from the peanut gallery?

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
I'm not sure if this method can drain out all air if you already have a messy system. You gonna end up with a lot of dirty rags, that I'm sure about.

I guess Marshy has a lot of experience wrenching on brakes that are used in a very demanding way. Would be interesting to know how often he is doing this.

Maybe we could also bring in some information about other brakes here as well.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Yeah not my choices or way of doing things either, but I don't think he really did anything wrong.
Obviously works for him and good on them for sharing.

Worth noting, IMO the rubber cap keeps dirt out of the nipple just fine, but the big reason you shouldn't pull on the syringe on a bleed nipple brake is because the nipple connection is not airtight (like a grubscrew connection ala avid/formula/trickstuff is). If you pull on the syringe on a shimano/hope you'll pull air into the syringe around the bleed nipple threads and think that it's coming out of the brake when it isn't.

However there's nothing wrong with pushing a syringe full of fluid up through a shimano brake, it's a much faster way of getting all the black wear material out. Can gravity bleed a little first if worried about dirt.

Being able to draw a small vacuum does make bleeding (from empty, or with air inside) much easier so the screw-in syringe fittings are superior. Bleeding can mean two different things - changing the fluid, and actually getting air out - different techniques are needed.

One thing I definitely would have added though is washing the caliper at the end / alcohol spray.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
One thing I definitely would have added though is washing the caliper at the end / alcohol spray.
No need. he dried the oil up with the towel.
adding alchohol is likely to dry the pistons/seals he let the oil lube.

The tip about wetting new pads and rubbing them together to make them grabby is a good one.
Not that you're all that likely to get a chance to bed pads in in the dry over here. ;)

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
No need. he dried the oil up with the towel.
adding alchohol is likely to dry the pistons/seals he let the oil lube.
No, he distributed the oil all over the caliper with the towel, and it will stay there until washed.
That's just asking for contamination, not a big deal when you're a WC team with free pads and rotors, but for average joe the first step to brakes that work well is brakes that are clean.

If we want to nitpick, the correct lubrication for the pistons is grease (not oil, which will vanish at first bike wash).

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
If we want to nitpick, the correct lubrication for the pistons is grease (not oil, which will vanish at first bike wash).
What kind of grease @Udi ? Will slickhoney do? I used to put a little shimano mineral oil around the sides of the pistons of my old slx brakes using a q-tip. I haven't done it yet on my m615 deores. The rear brake pistons are at uneven heights when I squeeze the levers. Friend of mine at a shop took the caliper apart and cleaned it but piston height is still uneven.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
DOT brakes: Finish Line PFPAE, I've explained here in detail
Oil brakes: Rubber grease, eg. Castrol Red Rubber Grease

It's best to assemble with the grease initially, but pumping the pistons out (obviously not all the way) and cleaning with isopropyl alcohol, followed by greasing and cycling works (repeat the greasing and cycling a few times for stubborn pistons). The cleaning step is important not just for dirt, but to eliminate any oil/fluid which will only serve to dissolve the grease and reduce its longevity. Once they are greased, push the pistons all the way back in and clean everything including the inside of the caliper, detergent and a sponge are fine. Make sure you center the rotor in the caliper's rotor slots when reinstalling.

Edit - swapped the Molykote suggestion for RRG, the NBR seals used in oil brakes should be fine with both, but the RRG will be safer (and cheaper too).

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
DOT brakes: Finish Line PFPAE, I've explained here in detail
Oil brakes: Rubber grease, eg. Castrol Red Rubber Grease

It's best to assemble with the grease initially, but pumping the pistons out (obviously not all the way) and cleaning with isopropyl alcohol, followed by greasing and cycling works (repeat the greasing and cycling a few times for stubborn pistons). The cleaning step is important not just for dirt, but to eliminate any oil/fluid which will only serve to dissolve the grease and reduce its longevity. Once they are greased, push the pistons all the way back in and clean everything including the inside of the caliper, detergent and a sponge are fine. Make sure you center the rotor in the caliper's rotor slots when reinstalling.

Edit - swapped the Molykote suggestion for RRG, the NBR seals used in oil brakes should be fine with both, but the RRG will be safer (and cheaper too).
Thanks @Udi . I'll take a look around autoshops in my small city for rubber grease. If I can't find it will slick honey work or it's not thick enough?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Thanks @Udi . I'll take a look around autoshops in my small city for rubber grease. If I can't find it will slick honey work or it's not thick enough?
Slick honey should work OK (note: for mineral oil brakes only) if you follow the procedure I wrote.

Any food-safe silicone grease will work OK too (note: for both mineral oil and DOT brakes).

I find it helps if you hold the piston (w/ plastic tyre lever etc) that moves more freely, and grease + cycle the "lazy" one.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Not sure if anyone caught this, as it was in a review of a gearbox bike, but
Mike Levy said:
Magura MT Trail brakes: The set of German stoppers that came on my Taniwha test bike might be the best performing brakes that I've ever used... In my life. Seriously, they're that good. Magura has combined immense power with gentle modulation that makes most other heavy-hitting brakes feel like all you're doing is jamming a golf club through your bike's spokes when you yank the lever. If you often face wet or very dry and loose conditions, I can't recommend the MT Trail brakes enough.
and
Mike Levy said:
The bike's MT Trail brakes, with a four-piston front caliper and two-piston rear, are unreal performers. There's just as much power as anything else, if not even more, but it's how Magura combined that with otherworldly modulation that makes them the best stoppers that I've ever had my fingers on.
it sounds like they're making their own 'franken brake' of sorts...

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Sorry if I missed this, but it doesn't appear to be in the spreadsheet- anyone know how the Hope Race and Tech levers vary, in terms of MC diameter and mechanical leverage?

mrgto

Monkey
Aug 4, 2009
Formula used to have an online store, just as little as a month ago. It used to have on it a service/parts kit for specific brakes model. I can't find these anymore. Does anyone know how to find those anymore? I think they used to be called a "red box", but maybe I'm making that up.
The last time I rebuilt my oros this is the email I used to get parts. No promises because it’s been a few years. (2013) I still have my k24’s hanging in my garage. They were one of my favorite brakes of all time. I wish I would have stocked up on parts.

rdavis@formula-italy.com

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
@Udi when my shimano m615 rear brake gets hot (e.g. from dragging) the lever moves outward and one time the pistons even locked the rotor. Shop guy took the caliper apart and also bled it and it didn't lock anymore but the main problem remains and yesterday when it got hot I noticed only one piston was moving. Brake returned to normal after a while. Can this be solved by a good bleed/more thorough cleaning?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Can this be solved by a good bleed/more thorough cleaning?
Not what you want to hear, but I'd say no.
Shimano build disposable brakes these days, it sounds like it's time to buy a new one.

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
Not what you want to hear, but I'd say no.
Shimano build disposable brakes these days, it sounds like it's time to buy a new one.
Bummer. I dropped it off this afternoon at my friend's shop to have it checked. I replaced it this morning with my old slx m665 brakes (bought ca. 2008) that I had not used in more than a year or two years and it still works. I'll update here if I get the deore fixed or not. Thanks for the help.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Anyone know if I can leave the old barb and olive on a SRAM hose when swapping Guide levers or do I need to use the new style screw in barb and screw on olive supplied with the new lever?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
You can usually get away with leaving the old barb and olive on (although it's not recommended, for safety a new pair should always be used, etc). Just tighten it up a little extra and then hold the lever pressed with the rubber boot pulled back after bleeding and watch for leaks. 90% of the time it's good to go.

If the lever actually comes with a new pair though it's probably a good idea to use them, unless your hoses are too short.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I didn't want to have to shorten one of the hoses as there's not much slack. I was swapping the brakes onto a different bike while also putting on the new levers.

I'll take another look, thanks.

Someone hit Udi with the rep button please.

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
I didn't want to have to shorten one of the hoses as there's not much slack. I was swapping the brakes onto a different bike while also putting on the new levers.

I'll take another look, thanks.

Someone hit Udi with the rep button please.
Done. What a bunch of nerds (with Udi as chief nerd). Glad I joined ridemonkey.

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
Building new 27.5 trail bike. I think I'm going to use my T1's in the interim, but would like to possibly try something new. Upgrade to Cura worth it? Or should I try something new completely off the reservation?

Side note, does anyone know if the standard formula/avid bleed kit still works on the Cura's? I have a nice Avid pro bleed kit that it'd be nice to still be able to utilize.

Last edited:

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Building new 27.5 trail bike. I think I'm going to use my T1's in the interim, but would like to possibly try something new. Upgrade to Cura worth it? Or should I try something new completely off the reservation?

Side note, does anyone know if the standard formula/avid bleed kit still works on the Cura's? I have a nice Avid pro bleed kit that it'd be nice to still be able to utilize.
Curas are mineral oil, Avids are DOT, so you won't be able to use the old bleed kit with them. I'd still go for the Curas if I was you.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
You can actually use the Avid Pro bleedkit just fine - those syringes are of high quality, and they use standard o-ring sizes so all you have to do is take take all the o-rings out and get them matched at a seal shop (or measure them), and replace with standard NBR (Nitrile) seals for use with oil. There are some hidden o-rings inside the fitting/s from memory if you want to be thorough, but mainly just need to do the piston one + threaded tip one.

I've been using an aliexpress copy of the same kit (wasn't super cheap, an excellent copy with slightly nicer fittings in fact) and it's been going for years with both fluids. If you want to be safe just make sure you wash the syringes with detergent after each use - I've made a habit of it, and usually store them with the plunger unscrewed and removed for good measure.

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
You can actually use the Avid Pro bleedkit just fine - those syringes are of high quality, and they use standard o-ring sizes so all you have to do is take take all the o-rings out and get them matched at a seal shop (or measure them), and replace with standard NBR (Nitrile) seals for use with oil. There are some hidden o-rings inside the fitting/s from memory if you want to be thorough, but mainly just need to do the piston one + threaded tip one.

I've been using an aliexpress copy of the same kit (wasn't super cheap, an excellent copy with slightly nicer fittings in fact) and it's been going for years with both fluids. If you want to be safe just make sure you wash the syringes with detergent after each use - I've made a habit of it, and usually store them with the plunger unscrewed and removed for good measure.
I reckon I'll just go with my newest pair of T1's and try the Cura's at some point. Pinkbike just posted a review of the Cura's and that quick release hose system looks pretty sweet(new bike has fully internal routing for the rear brake). Good to know about the orings, thanks for that. Got a link to the knockoff kit you bought? Did you bother replacing the orings in that or will a thorough flush after each use be sufficient for a while?

MrBaker87

Monkey
Mar 30, 2014
neverlandranch
Not adding anything useful to say to the conversation, but finally got around to mating my front mt5 caliper to an old SLX br666 lever. It has been the best brake i have ever run and i will likely being purchasinf another set for my DH bike this summer.

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
With shimano, it seems that when they switched to ceramic pistons things went down hill. Anyone try the metal ones sold on ebay?